Apple worker walkout organizers issue demands, size of strike unclear

124»

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 69


    What is wrong with some of you? Does civil discourse exist for you or is just when you can be anonymous behind the keyboard you grow really big ones?
    williamlondontht
  • Reply 62 of 69
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,341member
    So the walkout is over, the demands issued, and the story fades into obscurity. No national media coverage. Two Apple tech blogs (MacRumors and 9to5Mac) didn’t even cover it. We don’t even know how many walked out.  In other words, no one paid any attention to it except a few little-known online websites.

    So what did the walkout accomplish except to stir up the usual blathering over worker rights and the evilness of corporations? Nothing, that’s what. The participants will slowly be separated from the company for various reasons and life will go on. 

    tommikele said:


    What is wrong with some of you? Does civil discourse exist for you or is just when you can be anonymous behind the keyboard you grow really big ones?
    What planet do you live on? Civil discourse left the room over a decade ago. Where have you seen civil discourse lately? Certainly not on TV news channels, newspapers, airport lounges, Apple tech blogs, etc. It is kill or be killed, destroy the opposition instead of debating with it. Civil discourse is now seen as a weakness to be exploited. if the other side wants to talk that means it’s time to go for the kill shot.

    Your desire for civil discourse is noble but just a dream in these times.
  • Reply 63 of 69
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,089member
    hexclock said:
    Full time benefits for part time workers. Are they nuts? Go f yourselves, seriously. 
    "Full time benefits for part time workers."?
    There is another thing at play here:  A part time worker is not always somebody wishing for a full time job.  Often they are workers who have other commitments and priorities that preclude them from making a full time commitment to a job.  (That commitment goes both ways:  the company commits to the worker and the worker commits to the company.)

    Forcing a company to treat everybody as committed, full time workers eliminates the kind of jobs that some people need -- such as a person caring for a loved one at home but who still needs some income.

    Yes, you are right about all of that. In my union, for example, I can work my way up higher on the call list by meeting certain monetary requirements for several consecutive years. In other words, if I take enough calls I can be “promoted” to a higher list and be called ahead of people on a lower list. I can’t move up much though, because I work part time (I have another full time job), but I certainly wouldn’t expect them to overlook the requirements and promote me anyway. They do pay into a retirement account no matter where you stand on the call list, but that is negotiated with the union and the venues- an advantage the Apple retail people do not have. 
  • Reply 64 of 69
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,089member
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    quazze said:
    Benefits for part-time employees? What a joke. What company offers that? Maybe one percent, if that? 
    The joke is on you, Broadway Department stores (now Macy’s) had full benefits in 1978 for their part-time employees which was great for going to school (junior college) and working part time ie..no student debt.
    In today’s gig economy that benefit is probably is gone at Macy’s….
    1978 might as will be a different planet. The entire structure of the economy was different.  My grandfather worked for AT&T for over 40 years. People typically don’t do that today, nor do they have pension plans unless they are in the public sector. Your implication is that it’s realistic to expect full-time benefits with part-time employment today. It isn’t.  
    In 1978 America was different (march of dimes different), that America made a effort to do better the current one is sliding into Feudalism where most will gig it, rent it, and borrow what they don’t have…
    I’m not sure how old you are or how much you know about the era, but do you know how awful things were in 1978?  We were mired in every crisis imaginable.  Massive inflation with only moderate growth, a surge in crime, the Soviet Union on the march, beginnings of another massive oil spike, approaching the Iran hostage crisis and the Soviets invading Afghanistan.  A weak, failed POTUS in the WH.  How is that an effort to do better?

    It doesn’t matter how old he was in 1978, because all of those things are happening again, right now. Just replace “Soviet Union” with “China”. 
  • Reply 65 of 69
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Bosa said:
    lkrupp said:
    So the walkout is over, the demands issued, and the story fades into obscurity. No national media coverage. Two Apple tech blogs (MacRumors and 9to5Mac) didn’t even cover it. We don’t even know how many walked out.  In other words, no one paid any attention to it except a few little-known online websites.

    So what did the walkout accomplish except to stir up the usual blathering over worker rights and the evilness of corporations? Nothing, that’s what. The participants will slowly be separated from the company for various reasons and life will go on. 

    tommikele said:


    What is wrong with some of you? Does civil discourse exist for you or is just when you can be anonymous behind the keyboard you grow really big ones?
    What planet do you live on? Civil discourse left the room over a decade ago. Where have you seen civil discourse lately? Certainly not on TV news channels, newspapers, airport lounges, Apple tech blogs, etc. It is kill or be killed, destroy the opposition instead of debating with it. Civil discourse is now seen as a weakness to be exploited. if the other side wants to talk that means it’s time to go for the kill shot.

    Your desire for civil discourse is noble but just a dream in these times.
    Agree.if speaking politically,Both sides are at fault here. Ones side last 5 years have attempted to frame opposing president for multiple impeachments by paying Russians to write fake documents and now trying to make a protests into the gates of hell while ignoring burning cities for whole summer of 2020.

    and now as pay back, you have other side who  
    will not give current president a break or credit on anything, putting on the death grip to get his last breadth out of this presidency.

    hence, this is where we are and nobody is backing down 



    Ahh!  The old "They all do it" argument -- but bolstered with some propaganda and disinformation.

    But, right is still right and wrong is still wrong -- even if it is obscured by hate, fear, my-side-vs-your-side, propaganda and disinformation.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hexclock said:
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    quazze said:
    Benefits for part-time employees? What a joke. What company offers that? Maybe one percent, if that? 
    The joke is on you, Broadway Department stores (now Macy’s) had full benefits in 1978 for their part-time employees which was great for going to school (junior college) and working part time ie..no student debt.
    In today’s gig economy that benefit is probably is gone at Macy’s….
    1978 might as will be a different planet. The entire structure of the economy was different.  My grandfather worked for AT&T for over 40 years. People typically don’t do that today, nor do they have pension plans unless they are in the public sector. Your implication is that it’s realistic to expect full-time benefits with part-time employment today. It isn’t.  
    In 1978 America was different (march of dimes different), that America made a effort to do better the current one is sliding into Feudalism where most will gig it, rent it, and borrow what they don’t have…
    I’m not sure how old you are or how much you know about the era, but do you know how awful things were in 1978?  We were mired in every crisis imaginable.  Massive inflation with only moderate growth, a surge in crime, the Soviet Union on the march, beginnings of another massive oil spike, approaching the Iran hostage crisis and the Soviets invading Afghanistan.  A weak, failed POTUS in the WH.  How is that an effort to do better?

    It doesn’t matter how old he was in 1978, because all of those things are happening again, right now. Just replace “Soviet Union” with “China”. 

    Oh no!
    The Soviet Union openly proclaimed they wanted to take over the world and make it part of their system -- and they backed that up with the threat of using nuclear missiles.  The only thing that stopped them (and us) was the knowledge of certain mutual annihilation.

    China just wants to be the world's biggest economy and refuses to be dominated by or dictated to by the west.  And that frightens a lot of people -- so they try to equate the two in order to create a second cold war which they would then blame on China.
    waveparticle
  • Reply 67 of 69
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,089member
    hexclock said:
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    quazze said:
    Benefits for part-time employees? What a joke. What company offers that? Maybe one percent, if that? 
    The joke is on you, Broadway Department stores (now Macy’s) had full benefits in 1978 for their part-time employees which was great for going to school (junior college) and working part time ie..no student debt.
    In today’s gig economy that benefit is probably is gone at Macy’s….
    1978 might as will be a different planet. The entire structure of the economy was different.  My grandfather worked for AT&T for over 40 years. People typically don’t do that today, nor do they have pension plans unless they are in the public sector. Your implication is that it’s realistic to expect full-time benefits with part-time employment today. It isn’t.  
    In 1978 America was different (march of dimes different), that America made a effort to do better the current one is sliding into Feudalism where most will gig it, rent it, and borrow what they don’t have…
    I’m not sure how old you are or how much you know about the era, but do you know how awful things were in 1978?  We were mired in every crisis imaginable.  Massive inflation with only moderate growth, a surge in crime, the Soviet Union on the march, beginnings of another massive oil spike, approaching the Iran hostage crisis and the Soviets invading Afghanistan.  A weak, failed POTUS in the WH.  How is that an effort to do better?

    It doesn’t matter how old he was in 1978, because all of those things are happening again, right now. Just replace “Soviet Union” with “China”. 

    Oh no!
    The Soviet Union openly proclaimed they wanted to take over the world and make it part of their system -- and they backed that up with the threat of using nuclear missiles.  The only thing that stopped them (and us) was the knowledge of certain mutual annihilation.

    China just wants to be the world's biggest economy and refuses to be dominated by or dictated to by the west.  And that frightens a lot of people -- so they try to equate the two in order to create a second cold war which they would then blame on China.
    George, China is building up their military faster than at any point in their history. The parallels are right there to see. They are militarizing the South China Sea. They are flying dozens of aircraft near or into Taiwan. They are testing hypersonic weapons. They are building out their nuclear arsenal. So yes, there is some concern from many nations, not just the US. The Canadian prime minister just said something to that effect, just days ago. 
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 68 of 69
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    sdw2001 said:
    danox said:
    quazze said:
    Benefits for part-time employees? What a joke. What company offers that? Maybe one percent, if that? 
    The joke is on you, Broadway Department stores (now Macy’s) had full benefits in 1978 for their part-time employees which was great for going to school (junior college) and working part time ie..no student debt.
    In today’s gig economy that benefit is probably is gone at Macy’s….
    1978 might as will be a different planet. The entire structure of the economy was different.  My grandfather worked for AT&T for over 40 years. People typically don’t do that today, nor do they have pension plans unless they are in the public sector. Your implication is that it’s realistic to expect full-time benefits with part-time employment today. It isn’t.  
    In 1978 America was different (march of dimes different), that America made a effort to do better the current one is sliding into Feudalism where most will gig it, rent it, and borrow what they don’t have…
    I’m not sure how old you are or how much you know about the era, but do you know how awful things were in 1978?  We were mired in every crisis imaginable.  Massive inflation with only moderate growth, a surge in crime, the Soviet Union on the march, beginnings of another massive oil spike, approaching the Iran hostage crisis and the Soviets invading Afghanistan.  A weak, failed POTUS in the WH.  How is that an effort to do better?

    It doesn’t matter how old he was in 1978, because all of those things are happening again, right now. Just replace “Soviet Union” with “China”. 

    Oh no!
    The Soviet Union openly proclaimed they wanted to take over the world and make it part of their system -- and they backed that up with the threat of using nuclear missiles.  The only thing that stopped them (and us) was the knowledge of certain mutual annihilation.

    China just wants to be the world's biggest economy and refuses to be dominated by or dictated to by the west.  And that frightens a lot of people -- so they try to equate the two in order to create a second cold war which they would then blame on China.
    George, China is building up their military faster than at any point in their history. The parallels are right there to see. They are militarizing the South China Sea. They are flying dozens of aircraft near or into Taiwan. They are testing hypersonic weapons. They are building out their nuclear arsenal. So yes, there is some concern from many nations, not just the US. The Canadian prime minister just said something to that effect, just days ago. 

    Yep! They don't like the idea of former colonial militaries patrolling their territory and region and threatening them.  They are very clear about that:  Never again will a western nation threaten their national sovereignty.

    But, for some weird reason, we think its OK to threaten other nations -- but get all upset when they object.
Sign In or Register to comment.