Apple's 2022 monitor rumored to be half the price of the Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2
Apple's rumored external display will launch in 2022, according to predictions on Apple's launch plans, with the model still expected to be half the price of the existing Pro Display XDR.




Rumors have put forward the idea that Apple will be offering consumers a lower-priced monitor option to the $4,999 Pro Display XDR. In predictions published on Sunday about the 2022 release schedule, it is forecast that such a display will be released.

Included in theBloomberg "Power On" newsletter, Mark Gurman says he is "hoping Apple's next external monitor" will launch "in the coming year." Gurman also writes that it is "destined to be about half the price of the Pro Display XDR."

Gurman's comments follow a previous claim in December, stating Apple was working on a more value-conscious option, one that will be a "hot seller for those looking to add a larger screen to their new MacBook Pro without spending the equivalent of a luxury car down payment on the Pro Display XDR."

He qualified that the cost of display production for the Pro Display XDR has "likely come down" since its launch.

December rumors pointed to LG working on a trio of displays based on the current Pro Display XDR and iMac sizes, equating 24, 27, and 32-inch displays.

However, aside from Bloomberg previously reporting in January 2021 that a lower-cost external monitor was on the way, there are relatively few other rumors to back up the forecast.

Read on AppleInsider
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 33
    At this price it might make more sense to buy an iMac and a LunaDisplay. Apple need to release a monitor that is priced less than an iMac. 
    indieshackrobin huberentropysmichelb76watto_cobrastompyopinion
  • Reply 2 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,954member
    aderutter said:
    At this price it might make more sense to buy an iMac and a LunaDisplay. Apple need to release a monitor that is priced less than an iMac. 
    Totally agree. Talking to a neighbor who uses a 2010 MacPro with a nice monitor for that time and I gave him a spec comparison to the 2020 Mac mini and it blows his Mac Pro away. I could see myself moving to the next generation Mac mini as long as I could get a quality display that doesn’t, as you say, cost as much as a current 24” iMac. He’s waiting for this model as well. The base iMac is $1299 so why should a stand-alone 24” display cost more? It should include extra ports as well for this price. 
    indieshackentropysmichelb76watto_cobraopinion
  • Reply 3 of 33
    An iMac without the computer inside for £999 would be great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Half the price? Should be more like $699-999 for smaller 4.5K (24 inch), and $1299-1499 for larger 5K (27 inch). And if it’s consumer level at the 32 inch size (and presumably 6K) then $1999, which means apple will shoot for $2499, which does fulfill the half-price prediction. hopefully a lot of discounts will appear to get it around $1999
    edited January 2 robin huberwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I am looking for an external monitor for the new 2021 MBP 14". This will give me a pause. How soon will Apple release them? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,991member
    rob53 said:
    aderutter said:
    At this price it might make more sense to buy an iMac and a LunaDisplay. Apple need to release a monitor that is priced less than an iMac. 
    Totally agree. Talking to a neighbor who uses a 2010 MacPro with a nice monitor for that time and I gave him a spec comparison to the 2020 Mac mini and it blows his Mac Pro away. I could see myself moving to the next generation Mac mini as long as I could get a quality display that doesn’t, as you say, cost as much as a current 24” iMac. He’s waiting for this model as well. The base iMac is $1299 so why should a stand-alone 24” display cost more? It should include extra ports as well for this price. 
    Wait as long as you like. Not going to happen. Current monitors that cost less than an iMac are not all that good. An Apple monitor for $1299? No way.
    williamlondondanoxmac_dog
  • Reply 7 of 33
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. I love Apple but lately they seem to be not able to get the full equation together like before. There seems to always be some loose end. Notch on iPhones, ugly chin on iMac and again external power box, Airpower getting too warm etc. Or, not be able to design with end price in mind.
    edited January 2 williamlondonboboliciousmuthuk_vanalingammike54
  • Reply 8 of 33
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. I love Apple but lately they seem to be not able to get the full equation together like before. There seems to always be some loose end. Notch on iPhones, ugly chin on iMac and again external power box, Airpower getting too warm etc. Or, not be able to design with end price in mind.
    Yeah, Apple should have been listening to the armchair CEOs on AI obviously who think they know better how to build products people will buy, you know, given the dire financial results of the past couple of decades. [rolls eyes]
    danoxrobin huberbaconstangmike1mac_dogpatchythepiratewatto_cobraStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 33
    aderutter said:
    At this price it might make more sense to buy an iMac and a LunaDisplay. Apple need to release a monitor that is priced less than an iMac. 
    Agree 100%. I think there’s absolutely a market for the high end monitor, and a potential market for another that’s 25% or less than of the cost of the high end monitor. There are some very good deals on 4k/5k monitors - unless you’re a total fanboy I would think it’d be tough to justify over $2k just to get an Apple logo 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 33
    danoxdanox Posts: 963member
    Apple should build the best monitor (not cheap 1500-2500 dollars) that they can, also a 32” iMac with the ability to used as a fully functioning monitor when connected to a iMac or another computer would even better.

    Putting two new iMac’s (of any screen size) side by side and using as one computer would be a very powerful setup.

    Servers using the new CPU’s would also be great.

    Some of these things need to be done making tv shows and movies are money losers.

    Oh and one more thing Aperture not running making it to the new CPU’S is very sad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 33
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,610member
    There’s more to a new product than just making and selling it. Apple product support has already slipped noticeably in inverse proportion to its success. More and more support calls are being routed to India and PI, often resulting in severe communication issues. A stable of affordable monitors, though desirable, will only add to the support load. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 33
    rob53rob53 Posts: 2,954member
    danox said:
    Apple should build the best monitor (not cheap 1500-2500 dollars) that they can, also a 32” iMac with the ability to used as a fully functioning monitor when connected to a iMac or another computer would even 
    ……

    Oh and one more thing Aperture not running making it to the new CPU’S is very sad.
    Aperture died years before Apple Silicon was announced. 

    Do you call the 24” iMac’s display cheap or not worthy of even being on a Mac? I think it’s fine for a majority of users. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 33
    There’s more to a new product than just making and selling it. Apple product support has already slipped noticeably in inverse proportion to its success. More and more support calls are being routed to India and PI, often resulting in severe communication issues. A stable of affordable monitors, though desirable, will only add to the support load. 
    Nice little story you've spun in your own mind, negatively framed as typical.
    mike1mac_dogwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 33
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,054member
    lkrupp said:
    Wait as long as you like. Not going to happen. Current monitors that cost less than an iMac are not all that good. An Apple monitor for $1299? No way.
    Now, now...  It wasn't that long ago I was debating the SD haters in this forum who heatedly proclaimed "Apple never looks back!" and all that.  As you know, the SD card is back, and I think the about-face is a beautiful thing.  Rather than concede their mistake though, the SD haters continue to make silly remarks like, "I don't understand it.  Who uses SD cards these days?"  LOL.

    $1299 is not cheap for a good display these days.  It would make sense for a smaller sized display, depending on the features, and I don't see that as being priced too low to be a good quality monitor.  Having multiple sizes at different price points would be nicer than a higher priced one-size-fits-all model.  It would be a refreshing break from the past where there was basically just the 27" Cinema display for a long time (I still own two of those, with Thunderbolt).

    The pressing question is, how much will the consumer STAND cost? :smile: 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 33
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,969member
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. I love Apple but lately they seem to be not able to get the full equation together like before. There seems to always be some loose end. Notch on iPhones, ugly chin on iMac and again external power box, Airpower getting too warm etc. Or, not be able to design with end price in mind.
    Hahaha!  Are you being intentionally comical with your complaints?  
    *Slipping “lately” with the chin in the iMac?  When for the iMac NOT have a chin?  
    *Complaining about an unreleased product running hot (AirPower)?  They didn’t release it—it’s called quality control. 
    *iPhone notch?  Ok, it does bother some people. Personally, it’s a non issue for me, but it looks like Apple is working to get rid of it. 
    *The Pro displays are too expensive for consumers?  If you don’t need a “pro” display, why complain about how much they cost?

    Seriously, get a grip. You are complaining just to hear yourself squalking…

    williamlondonmike1watto_cobraStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 33
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,916member
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:
    aderutter said:
    At this price it might make more sense to buy an iMac and a LunaDisplay. Apple need to release a monitor that is priced less than an iMac. 
    Totally agree. Talking to a neighbor who uses a 2010 MacPro with a nice monitor for that time and I gave him a spec comparison to the 2020 Mac mini and it blows his Mac Pro away. I could see myself moving to the next generation Mac mini as long as I could get a quality display that doesn’t, as you say, cost as much as a current 24” iMac. He’s waiting for this model as well. The base iMac is $1299 so why should a stand-alone 24” display cost more? It should include extra ports as well for this price. 
    Wait as long as you like. Not going to happen. Current monitors that cost less than an iMac are not all that good. An Apple monitor for $1299? No way.
    Wasn’t the 2.5K Thunderbolt Display $999?
    boboliciouswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 33
    mcdave said:
    lkrupp said:
    rob53 said:
    aderutter said:
    At this price it might make more sense to buy an iMac and a LunaDisplay. Apple need to release a monitor that is priced less than an iMac. 
    Totally agree. Talking to a neighbor who uses a 2010 MacPro with a nice monitor for that time and I gave him a spec comparison to the 2020 Mac mini and it blows his Mac Pro away. I could see myself moving to the next generation Mac mini as long as I could get a quality display that doesn’t, as you say, cost as much as a current 24” iMac. He’s waiting for this model as well. The base iMac is $1299 so why should a stand-alone 24” display cost more? It should include extra ports as well for this price. 
    Wait as long as you like. Not going to happen. Current monitors that cost less than an iMac are not all that good. An Apple monitor for $1299? No way.
    Wasn’t the 2.5K Thunderbolt Display $999?
    It was, and I still enjoy mine...
    everymac.com/monitors/apple/thunderbolt/specs/apple-thunderbolt-display-27-inch-specs.html
    A 4K USBC upgrade would be enough for me. Is 5K Apple's 'bag of hurt'...?
    I wish I felt like Apple was now being governed by enthusiasts vs money men...
    Does every movement become a business?
    Does every era have its day...?


    edited January 2 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 33
    mike1mike1 Posts: 2,985member
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. I love Apple but lately they seem to be not able to get the full equation together like before. There seems to always be some loose end. Notch on iPhones, ugly chin on iMac and again external power box, Airpower getting too warm etc. Or, not be able to design with end price in mind.
    Just because you can’t afford it does NOT mean nobody can. 
    williamlondonlkruppwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,154member
    lkrupp said:

    Current monitors that cost less than an iMac are not all that good. An Apple monitor for $1299? No way.
    Absolute drivel and nonsense.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    opinion said:
    I say it again, sometimes I see no point in making the best products if nobody can afford them. 

    Apple doesn't seem to have any problems selling products. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobraStrangeDays
Sign In or Register to comment.