Rumored iPhone SE with 5G expected to debut at March Apple event

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
Apple's first special event could be another virtual one in March or April, a report claims, with the updated iPhone SE rumored to debut.

As the year changes, attention from industry watchers focuses on the first Apple event and its initial product launches for the year. According to one report, it's possible that the iPhone SE could arrive in the first quarter.

According to Mark Gurman's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, sources say the first virtual event of 2022 is likely to occur in either March or April.

As AppleInsider has previously discussed, March and April are typically the months Apple uses for its initial wave of product launches. Indeed, there have been product launches in March every year from 2014 to 2020, with 2021's largely consisting of press release-based launches, and with very rare announcements in January or February.

Gurman's sources say that the rumored 5G-equipped iPhone SE will be the main focus of the supposed event. He agrees with elements of other reports on the device, with it largely retaining the appearance of the existing model, but with internal upgrades.

Other products that could appear during the event could include Apple Silicon launches, such as a refreshed Mac mini or MacBook Air.

After the spring special event, Gurman offers that the second major launch event will be June's WWDC, which will feature Apple's usual operating system updates. However, rather than moving back to an in-person format, Gurman believes there is a "near certainty" it will be an online-only affair.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Same size and features as current iPhone SE except internal 5G update or some WOV! factor ?
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Haven’t all the SE models been in March or April? Seems like a reasonable bet. Last year’s spring event also had the iPad Pro and iMac. Seems like the iPad Pro would be due for an update as well as the MBA and Mac mini. So maybe the M2 will make an appearance. 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Couldn’t this just as easily be launched via press release? Sure, a new processor and 5G support are worthy upgrades for fans of the SE, but are they compelling enough to warrant being “the main focus” of an event? With so many other rumored or expected products, this would be a nice addition to an event, but not really the headliner. I can’t imagine whatever iPadPro, Mac, or M2 they plan to announce take a back seat to the budget iPhone. And, if none of those end up being announced…like I said, press release. 
    michelb76
  • Reply 4 of 12
    If they bring back the 5S form factor w/ touch ID, I'm in day 1.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 12
    mike54 said:
    LCD screen, bezels, home button - loving it. Put in the latest, updated improved internals for CPU, BT, wifi, modem and a min of 4G ram (6G would be nice). I don't care if Apple don't put in 5G, I would actually prefer it and have put the cost towards more ram instead.
    LCD screen - Yes
    Bezels - Not as much as the current SE, it will be minimized
    Home button - No
    4 GB RAM - Yes

The specifications of new SE is very easy to predict. Just take a 3 year old entry level phone from the September launch event (in this case iPhone 11), swap the SoC with the latest generation iPhone (NO other changes to display, screen size, battery, cameras etc) and call it a day. You have got a new iPhone SE. And in my view, this is a great strategy on the part of Apple imho.
    dinoone
  • Reply 6 of 12
    wood1208 said:
    Same size and features as current iPhone SE except internal 5G update or some WOV! factor ?
    Obviously it'll be an incremental upgrade.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Still using 7/8 form factor? Would be cool if they updated to the 12/13 Mini case. Would line up with rumors that “Mini” is going away - although timeline would be a bit jumping-the-gun-ish. But not outside the realm of possibility for .
  • Reply 8 of 12
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    If they had a SE Plus, I'd get one.  I don't like the smaller screen, but having a home button and no idiotic notch are important features, particularly since I never go anywhere in public without a mask these days, and I doubt that's going to change for years to come.

But hey, my 6s Plus still works great, and it's got a headphone jack too, so I guess I'll just keep using it.
    williamlondonFred257
  • Reply 9 of 12
    darkvader said:
    If they had a SE Plus, I'd get one.  I don't like the smaller screen, but having a home button and no idiotic notch are important features, particularly since I never go anywhere in public without a mask these days, and I doubt that's going to change for years to come.

But hey, my 6s Plus still works great, and it's got a headphone jack too, so I guess I'll just keep using it.
    This is what I mentioned in Post #6 of this thread - "The specifications of new SE is very easy to predict. Just take a 3 year old entry level phone from the September launch event (in this case iPhone 11), swap the SoC with the latest generation iPhone (NO other changes to display, screen size, battery, cameras etc) and call it a day. You have got a new iPhone SE."

So you would get larger screen, but no home button. And it would have a notch, FaceID (no touch ID) and no headphone jack. You would get some and lose some.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    darkvader said:

This is what I mentioned in Post #6 of this thread - "The specifications of new SE is very easy to predict. Just take a 3 year old entry level phone from the September launch event (in this case iPhone 11), swap the SoC with the latest generation iPhone (NO other changes to display, screen size, battery, cameras etc) and call it a day. You have got a new iPhone SE."

So you would get larger screen, but no home button. And it would have a notch, FaceID (no touch ID) and no headphone jack. You would get some and lose some.
    Shh.  He's gonna be so nuclear that he'll smash the only headphone jack 6s he had.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    I'm sure the new SE will excite me as much as Steve Jobs' introduction of the iPod Hi-Fi   :/ .
    Apple iPod Hi-Fi review  TechRadar 
    williamlondon