Apple uses Messages colors to bully Android users, says Google

Comments

• Reply 61 of 90
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    …sorry, I can’t stop laughing so hard!  Unbelievable, and even more so that AppleInsider played into this and wrote a freaking story about it!
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

When Apple finally gives in and dumps SMS as their backup messaging protocol we will all benefit. 
    I agree.  However, I don't think it's so much a matter of "Apple giving in" as much as it is a matter of waiting until RCS has universal support from all carriers.   I don't think Apple wants to have to try to figure out which "fall back" service to use.  SMS/MMS provide the basic necessary functionality.  Yes, it's missing many of the bells and whistles of iMessage and yes, RCS will help close that gap a bit.  Still, RCS is hit or miss in terms of carriers support so it really doesn't make sense for Apple to make that the default backup service just yet.
    A few carriers not yet on board is exactly why Google wants Apple to adopt RCS. As soon as they do all carriers will be pressured to support it. IMO they would have no choice not to. In the meantime, those particular carriers continue tracking and collecting and profiting from your user data gathered from SMS texts. They can't do that with E2EE RCS. 
    edited January 2022 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 63 of 90
    XedXed Posts: 2,561member
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

When Apple finally gives in and dumps SMS as their backup messaging protocol we will all benefit. 
    I agree.  However, I don't think it's so much a matter of "Apple giving in" as much as it is a matter of waiting until RCS has universal support from all carriers.   I don't think Apple wants to have to try to figure out which "fall back" service to use.  SMS/MMS provide the basic necessary functionality.  Yes, it's missing many of the bells and whistles of iMessage and yes, RCS will help close that gap a bit.  Still, RCS is hit or miss in terms of carriers support so it really doesn't make sense for Apple to make that the default backup service just yet.
    A few carriers not yet on board is exactly why Google wants Apple to adopt RCS. As soon as they do all carriers will be pressured to support it. IMO they would have no choice not to. In the meantime, those particular carriers continue tracking and collecting and profiting from your user data gathered from SMS texts. They can't do that with E2EE RCS. 
    So Google calling Apple a bully is really just Google trying to bully and manipulate Apple into adopting something solely for the benefit of Google? That tracks.
    williamlondonwaveparticleStrangeDaysFileMakerFellertechconcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 90
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

So Google calling Apple a bully is really just Google trying to bully and manipulate Apple into adopting something solely for the benefit of Google? That tracks.
    Typical @gg mental gymnastics. [rolls eyes]
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 90
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

Google wants to make Androids work exactly like iPhone. So iPhone loses the advantages and prestiges. 
    GeorgeBMactechconcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 90
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

Google wants to make Androids work exactly like iPhone. So iPhone loses the advantages and prestiges. 
    And we've got someone on an Apple fan site defending this, how fucking pathetic that is, all these corporate shills wanting to dumb down the products we love and come here to discuss. It really is the epitome of pathetic, join a group where you're not welcome and trash the thing they love to discuss (rhymes with asshole). Fucking pathetic.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 90
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

And we've got someone on an Apple fan site defending this, how fucking pathetic that is, all these corporate shills wanting to dumb down the products we love and come here to discuss. It really is the epitome of pathetic, join a group where you're not welcome and trash the thing they love to discuss (rhymes with asshole). Fucking pathetic.
    Wow, so emotional! It must be the truth.
    williamlondonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 68 of 90
    gatorguy said:
    Tim Cook should channel Elon Musk by sending Hiroshi Lockheimer a complimentary iPhone. 

(It must really bother Google VPs to be dictated to by Google to carry Androids.  Probably feels like being bullied.)
     FWIW Google does not want iMessage on Android. What this is about is replacing SMS with the far more secure and private RCS. IMO i's an odd stance for Apple to cling to an old insecure messaging protocol like SMS when iMessage is unavailable.for an iPhone owner. Seems to me it's sacrificing Apple user security for the sake of competition, unless you can think of some other reason Apple steadfastly insists on leaky SMS rather than E2EE Google RCS. Getting both platforms to adopt it would put the nail in the coffin for carrier-monitoring SMS. 

BTW, where have you read that Google employees can't use iPhones at work? Everything I read says it's up to the Googler what to use. " that 
    Hmm. Can't send via iMessage. Fall back to a "standard" that very few carriers currently support, or to a standard that every carrier in the world currently supports?

Decisions, decisions...
    williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 90
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

So, Apple is not currently disadvantaged by the situation and Google is; Google haven't managed to persuade carriers to adopt the "standard" so Apple should come in and do that work for them?

Good luck with that.
    williamlondoncornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 90
    No group encryption with RCS, and only encrypted if the other participant has 1) a supported phone, and 2) a carrier that support it.

The biggest irony here is that the "Send" button will have a lock indicator on it, *only* when the above conditions are met. Yeah, so much different than green/blue bubbles to indicate when someone has support on the other end for *all* the features.

Google is a fucking hypocrite with all this bullying nonsense, and @gg causally (as always) ignores these fine details when he's shilling for that evil monster.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 90
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

Why the outrage?   He didn't defend anything.  He just spoke truth.   Get a grip.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 72 of 90
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

You didn't even read the post before replying did you? YOU benefit. I benefit. YOUR FAMILY benefits. WE ALL benefit. 
  • Reply 73 of 90
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

You didn't even read the post before replying did you? YOU benefit. I benefit. YOUR FAMILY benefits. WE ALL benefit. 
    @Xed usually makes well reasoned posts, but this was not one of them. Apple adopting RCS would benefit iOS users primarily, while Android users (outside of US) would not even care/know whether Apple supports RCS or not. This is something that people in this forum do NOT get it since they don't even READ and try to comprehend the information in the posts by you in this thread.
    edited January 2022 williamlondon
  • Reply 74 of 90
    gatorguy said:
    Agreed.  However, it comes back to incentive.  Apple already has a solution for their customers.  Google has far more to gain by the industry adopting RCS than Apple does.  

Also, part of the problem is that I doubt we'll ever see the end of SMS/MMS anytime soon.  There are too many automated services that depend on this service.  Apple provides the premium services, iMessage, for their customers.  They fall back to the lowest common denominator for everyone else.  Imagine now, trying to figure out whether to fall back to the lowest common denominator (SMS) or something in between like RCS.  Why would Apple want to bother with that?  Unless there is a mandate that says SMS is going away by a certain date, I just don't see what incentive Apple has to migrate to RCS before that time. 
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 90
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:

@Xed usually makes well reasoned posts, but this was not one of them. Apple adopting RCS would benefit iOS users primarily, while Android users (outside of US) would not even care/know whether Apple supports RCS or not. This is something that people in this forum do NOT get it since they don't even READ and try to comprehend the information in the posts by you in this thread.

"Ewww!  It's GREEN!  How gross!"
  • Reply 76 of 90
    techconc said:
    gatorguy said:
    Agreed.  However, it comes back to incentive.  Apple already has a solution for their customers.  Google has far more to gain by the industry adopting RCS than Apple does.  

Also, part of the problem is that I doubt we'll ever see the end of SMS/MMS anytime soon.  There are too many automated services that depend on this service.  Apple provides the premium services, iMessage, for their customers.  They fall back to the lowest common denominator for everyone else.  Imagine now, trying to figure out whether to fall back to the lowest common denominator (SMS) or something in between like RCS.  Why would Apple want to bother with that?  Unless there is a mandate that says SMS is going away by a certain date, I just don't see what incentive Apple has to migrate to RCS before that time. 
    Apple already has a solution for their customers. - There is a problem with this statement. Unless Apple says "iPhone users are NOT supposed to have friends/contacts who own Android phones OR not use Messages App to interact with them in a secure manner", this is very much a problem for Apple's customers in the real world. The majority of the posters who blame Google in this thread seem to think that - Apple's iPhone users should NOT be able to use Messages App to interact with Android phone users in a secure manner. I can't understand how that can be considered as a reasonable stance.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 77 of 90
    Apple already has a solution for their customers. - There is a problem with this statement. Unless Apple says "iPhone users are NOT supposed to have friends/contacts who own Android phones OR not use Messages App to interact with them in a secure manner", this is very much a problem for Apple's customers in the real world. The majority of the posters who blame Google in this thread seem to think that - Apple's iPhone users should NOT be able to use Messages App to interact with Android phone users in a secure manner. I can't understand how that can be considered as a reasonable stance.
    No, there isn't a problem with that statement.  If you want a secure conversation, use iMessage. Everyone knows SMS is not secure.  Hence the "green bubble".  That's a reminder that you are using a lesser service.   Also, you should know that the RCS standard does not include encryption.  Google is hacking their implementation of it and adding encryption, but that only works with Google's client application.  It's certainly NOT clear how Apple's implementation would work with Google's and how they'd share keys as necessary, etc.  It's easy to paint Apple as they bad guy when you don't even understand the problem or how it would be solved.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 90
    muthuk_vanalingam said:

Apple adopting RCS would benefit iOS users primarily,
    Wrong as usual, completely and totally. Google is the one to benefit here, not Apple which is why Apple isn't implementing it (yet - perhaps in the future, but it's a fucking mess right now which is why they're the ones doing the bullying trying to cajole Apple into implementing something they already have).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 90
    techconc said:
    No, there isn't a problem with that statement.  If you want a secure conversation, use iMessage. Everyone knows SMS is not secure.  Hence the "green bubble".  That's a reminder that you are using a lesser service.   Also, you should know that the RCS standard does not include encryption.  Google is hacking their implementation of it and adding encryption, but that only works with Google's client application.  It's certainly NOT clear how Apple's implementation would work with Google's and how they'd share keys as necessary, etc.  It's easy to paint Apple as they bad guy when you don't even understand the problem or how it would be solved.
    True!  And further:
    Implied but not stated in that is that this is not between Apple vs Google.  It is, once again, Apple created a better system than ANYBODY else.   Green doesn't mean Google, it indicates the text is not iMsg -- nothing more, nothing less.
    techconcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 90
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    muthuk_vanalingam said:

Apple adopting RCS would benefit iOS users primarily,
    Wrong as usual, completely and totally. Google is the one to benefit here, not Apple which is why Apple isn't implementing it (yet - perhaps in the future, but it's a fucking mess right now which is why they're the ones doing the bullying trying to cajole Apple into implementing something they already have).
    iOS users would benefit from not having to use third party application for group chats involving people who aren't iOS users.  That is a major benefit and brings messaging back into a standardised form.  It takes Meta out of the equation, which is best for everyone.

Google and Apple don't directly benefit, there's no monetisation here, but users are clear winners.
    muthuk_vanalingamctt_zhavon b7gatorguywatto_cobra