Apple Watch gets new Unity Lights watch face

Posted:
in Apple Watch
To celebrate Black History Month, Apple is introducing the new Unity Lights Apple Watch face, inspired by Afrofuturism.

The new Unity Lights face
The new Unity Lights watch face

Almost a year ago to the day, Apple released the Unity watch face for Apple Watch. The new Unity Lights face is an iteration on that, still pulling in the vibrant red and green colors.

The new face comes in full-screen or round styles and has red and green light emitting from the edges of each watch hand. On the circle version, you have four rounded complications -- one in each corner.

Various configurations of the Unity Lights watch face
Various configurations of the Unity Lights watch face

There is a version with tick marks around each hour and a greyscale version too for those that don't prefer the color. A monogram is available as well.

Apple says the Unity Lights face, as well as its new Black Unity Braided Solo Loop, was inspired by a philosophy that "explores Black experience through a narrative of science, technology, and self-empowerment."

Both were designed by those in the Black creative community within Apple and symbologies a communal belief in the necessity for a more equitable world.

The new Unity Lights watch face is available with watchOS 8.3 on Apple Watch Series 4 or later. It coincides with a broader push from Apple to celebrate Black culture across its products and services.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    That face looks pretty cool at "happy o'clock". What does it look like with a sad face?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mknelson said:
    That face looks pretty cool at "happy o'clock". What does it look like with a sad face?
    Turn your iPhone upside down (assuming that you’re looking at this on an iPhone). 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Screenshot rotated 180 degrees ….

fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 10
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    will be nice if that add other color options in the future...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Doesn’t appear on my Series 6 WATCH. Looks like it should in the WATCH App on my iPhone. But no such luck on my WATCH. Does it require WatchOS 8.4?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Called Apple and they helped me get it installed.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Doesn’t appear on my Series 6 WATCH. Looks like it should in the WATCH App on my iPhone. But no such luck on my WATCH. Does it require WatchOS 8.4?
    Yes, it’s a new face in WatchOS 8.4. I updated today, and the new face is available to add.  The article says it is available in WatchOS 8.3, but I didn’t see it until this update.
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 8 of 10
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    That’s a really nice looking band. I’ve only had one braised solo loop, and I loved it at first. Unfortunately, it stretched out so badly that I can’t even wear it anymore. None of the solutions I found online, nor any of the methods I came up with on my own could fix the problem. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these bands? 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    Tried it on my Series 6 today- it looks pretty nice, especially when the colours fill more of the face (screenshot upside-down…  :D)

The second hand blocks the light - interesting design decision. It looks pretty cool when it crosses the bottom of the face and the colours start to bleed past.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Japhey said:
    That’s a really nice looking band. I’ve only had one braised solo loop, and I loved it at first. Unfortunately, it stretched out so badly that I can’t even wear it anymore. None of the solutions I found online, nor any of the methods I came up with on my own could fix the problem. Has anyone else had a similar experience with these bands? 
    I had the same issue. I bought two braided and one silicone loop bands online using the Apple Measurement tool - Size 8 -  (which was a perfect comfortable fit out of the box). After 4 months of regular wear, both stretched and were too loose to fit my wrist properly. I had kept the packaging. Took them to the Apple store with my receipt print out and they exchanged both of them for a size down to a 7. Size 7 was a bit snug almost too snug but after almost a year of wear, they stretched to a perfectly comfortable fit.