Apple seeds first developer betas of iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4, tvOS 15.4, watchOS 8.5

Posted:
in iOS edited January 2022
Apple has restarted the beta-testing process once again, providing developers with the first builds of iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4, tvOS 15.4, and watchOS 8.5.

The newest builds can be downloaded via the Apple Developer Center for those enrolled in the test program, or via an over-the-air update on devices running the beta software. Public betas typically arrive within a few days of the developer versions, via the Apple Beta Software Program website.

Apple released iOS 15.3, iPadOS 15.3, tvOS 15.3, and watchOS 8.4 on January 26.

The new betas include iOS 15.4, iPadOS 15.4, tvOS 15.4, HomePod software 15.4, and watchOS 8.5. For the most part, iOS 15.3 and iPadOS 15.3 didn't provide any major feature changes to users, and largely took the form of a maintenance release that involved bug fixes and performance improvements.

However, iOS 15.4 and iPadOS 15.4 are different. Apple has added early beta functionality for the long-awaited Universal Control feature to Monterey, as well as iPadOS. Additionally, Apple has added the ability to register a masked face for FaceID to iOS.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly advise users avoid installing beta software on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the small possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to ensure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating in the first place.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    On watchOS 8.5 beta, there’s no need to tap OK after keying in the passcode any longer. The button is missing altogether and passcode entry now functions just as it does on the iPhone. Hooray! Finally. Watch 7 is my first Watch and it always felt odd to have to tap that button after passcode-entry. 
    edited January 2022
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    On watchOS 8.5 beta, there’s no need to tap OK after keying in the passcode any longer. The button is missing altogether and passcode entry now functions just as it does on the iPhone. Hooray! Finally. Watch 7 is my first Watch and it always felt odd to have to tap that button after passcode-entry. 
    I thought that was only required if you set something other than the default four digits. IMO, not knowing the length of the passcode significantly increases the strength of the code.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dcgoo said:
    I thought that was only required if you set something other than the default four digits.

Now that I didn’t know! I used a 6-digit passcode and it asked to tap OK every time.