Next Safari Public Beta

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone know when the next public version of Safari is going to be released? I would really like the use of tabbed browsing and auto-fill.

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Does anyone have an idea? How about when the other versions of safari have come out? Are we talking near future (days to week) or more?
  • Reply 2 of 34
    This Spymac thread says Safari v71 was just posted for ADC members. Any truth to this??!?

-----------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 3 of 34
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Wasn't the seed program killed?
  • Reply 4 of 34
    westonmwestonm Posts: 140member
    I saw the download page, but none of the links worked. The download page is now gone (at least temporarily).
  • Reply 5 of 34
    syllasylla Posts: 3member
    Safari v69 and v71 are both here. v71 is now 'beta 2'
  • Reply 6 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by RosettaStoned

Safari v71 was just posted for ADC members. Any truth to this??!?

Yes, links for v71 were posted for ADC members, but the links did not actually work. They 404'd on the servers.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    They should release a new beta, Safari currently doesn't work with AIM Express for example.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    71 = fast fast fast fast fast.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    I'm not noticing any significant speed improvements, but I am noticing more stability. v.67 would crash on me often, especially handling Java and Flash. No problems with v.71. I like the new "Reset Safari" option.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the bookmarks list seems snappier, especially bringing up subfolders. Also of interest is the "Beta 2" moniker in the About box.

Still some cookie issues, and some CSS issues, but good stability.

Strong like bull.

---------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 10 of 34
    shivashiva Posts: 13member
    I had a little accident with the time and date preference pane on my mac, I unknowingly set the date to December of 2003. When I tried to launch Safari, I got a dialogue telling me that the beta expired on June 30. So I guess we will for sure have something by then. Are there any trade shows close to that date where Apple might release a "for real" version of Safari, or is this just an arbitrary date, giving developers time to work out bugs and release a new beta?
  • Reply 11 of 34
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shiva

I had a little accident with the time and date preference pane on my mac, I unknowingly set the date to December of 2003. When I tried to launch Safari, I got a dialogue telling me that the beta expired on June 30. So I guess we will for sure have something by then. Are there any trade shows close to that date where Apple might release a "for real" version of Safari, or is this just an arbitrary date, giving developers time to work out bugs and release a new beta?

*cough* WWDC *cough*
  • Reply 12 of 34
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RosettaStoned

This Spymac thread says Safari v71 was just posted for ADC members. Any truth to this??!?

-----------

RosettaStoned

Yes there is truth to it, as I have seen it first hand. Secondly, the mass beta test program has been killed but some select ADC members still have access to the seeds; at least that is my understanding.

A@ron
  • Reply 13 of 34
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    dang v.71???

i was really hoping apple would release v.69 just for shits and giggles

anyways...i've been using camino after trying v.64 and disliking it....told myself i would try safari again at v.8

though if v.71 arrived at my doorstep i might find it hard to resist...

g
  • Reply 14 of 34
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I got v71 from somewhere... I think a little elf I found under a rock gave it to me...

I encountered two bugs though, quite quickly. One is that when I had about five or six tabs open, and I chose to close one, I got the beachball of death and I had to force quit. The other one is that for some reason, after I had closed all windows, I couldn't make a new window, I had to quit the application and then start it again. Strangely, after going back to v60, it had moved my bookmarks into two plain folders called "BookmarkBar" and "BookmarkMenu." I had to move them back to get my old setup back. Finally, in v71 when you have two tabs open and you close one, it attempts to animate the disappearance of the tab bar but apparently it's not done very well because it always lags when it disappears. Maybe I'm just seeing things. Anyway, I've gone back to v60 but I'm keeping the stuffed v71 around just in case I wanna try it again. v60 is definitely more bug-free than v71. I'm guessing they'll release another one in like 4-6 weeks, maybe around v76-80. I really have no idea though, that's just idle speculation on my part.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    v71 seems to be a fair bit faster for me plus it doesnt have a silly tab/losing the correct thread thing in bb that 64 & 67 had.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    it's a bit faster..... yeah
  • Reply 17 of 34
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    v71 looks like shit in aqua They made the rollovers for the bookmark menu turn white, and they almost dissapear in aqua

I guess its back to bnushed metal for me
  • Reply 18 of 34
    Safari looks so much better in Aqua to me, it is the most unobtrusive browser interace I've ever seen. Kudos to Apple, and Aqua interface should be an easier option. I hope they keep it lookin good in Aqua.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    Another thing I noticed. hit any key and Safari beeps. Why? This is dumb and annoying and needs to go.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Another thing I noticed. hit any key and Safari beeps. Why? This is dumb and annoying and needs to go.

Is the beeping in v60? I don't hear it, but if it is in any build higher don't complain because those builds are not supposed to be in your hands until Apple releases it.