Samsung debuts new Galaxy S22 lineup, trio of Galaxy Tab S8 tablets

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2022
Samsung on Wednesday announced its new Galaxy S22 lineup of smartphones, as well as a new Galaxy Tab S8 series of tablets that features an "Ultra" model for the first time.

Galaxy S22 Lineup. Credit: Samsung
Galaxy S22 Lineup. Credit: Samsung

The Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22 Plus devices don't feature many significant updates. They pack an improved primary sensor and better optical zoom, as well as a new Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 chipset in the U.S. and a Exynos 2200 SoC in other countries.

Compared to the previous year's Galaxy S21 devices, the Galaxy S22 and Galaxy S22 Plus do make some compromises. They both have slightly smaller displays and batteries. The telephoto lens has also been downgraded from 64MP to 10MP.

The Galaxy S22 has a 6.1-inch display with 120Hz refresh rate and a 3,700 mAh battery. The Galaxy S22 Plus sports a 6.6-inch display, a 4,500 mAh battery, 45W quick charging, and ultra-wideband support.

Samsung's Galaxy S22 Ultra, however, is a different story. The new device is basically a spiritual successor to the Galaxy Note lineup, which Samsung killed off back in 2020.

The Galaxy S22 Ultra features a 6.8-inch display, a 5,000 mAh battery, and 8GB of RAM. It sports a 108MP primary camera, a 12MP ultra wide camera, and a pair of zoom lenses. It also adopts features that were once exclusive to the Galaxy Note lineup, including a stylus that's housed within the device's body.

Samsung's latest flagship also ships with a baseline of 8GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage.

In addition, Samsung has promised that it will offer up to four years of major operating system updates. The Galaxy S22 lineup will ship running Android 12.

Alongside the new smartphones, Samsung has also announced three new tablet models under the Galaxy Tab S8 moniker. The lineup also includes the company's first "Ultra" tablet.

The Galaxy S22 Ultra will retail for $1,199.99, while the S22 and S22 Plus cost $799.99 and $999.99 respectively. Samsung generally has aggressive trade-in promotions during the pre-order period, so customers can take advantage of more competitive pricing.

The Galaxy Tab S8 tablet features an 11-inch display, while the Galaxy Tab S8 Plus packs a 12.4-inch display. The Ultra model, however, bumps the screen size to an impressive 14.6 inches.

All three tablet models will feature productivity and multitasking abilities, like the option to share notes between different Samsung devices and easily transfer files.

Samsung also focused on the video recording capabilities of its Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra. The devices as a dual-lens, 12MP camera and a microphone that can pick up sound from three different directions.

The Galaxy Tab S8 retails for $700, while the S8 Plus comes in at $900. The Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra is priced at $1,100.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    KnockoffInsider
    cornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Sounds like excellent devices…. IFF you are in the Android ecosystem.  For iOS users, yawn.  Who cares.  “It’s about the software, dummy.  “
    davgregcornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Needs more cameras. The whole backside should be covered with cameras. 
    kiltedgreenBeatsdavgregwilliamlondonTRAGjony0StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    My thoughts exactly! This will not end well.
    Beatswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    OK, I'm going to go full, old-school, trashing mode here:  [rant] 

These things are HIDEOUS in every respect.  They are so ugly I almost can't believe they are real.  The puke mauve color, the spider eyes-looking cameras.  The camera bump on the Plus.  The fact that the Ultra has FIVE cameras and an LED.  I feel like I'm reading this Onion article (NSFW) on how many blades they can fit into a razor.   :D.  Right now, there is probably a Samsung executive pounding on the table, yelling "For the S23 next year, I want more cameras!!! I want to see at least six...no....7.....aww hell, 10 cameras!  And four LEDS! And I want more innovative colors like this puke mauve we're showing.  I'm thinking pea soup green, loose crap brown, and uncomfortable shades of off-white.  You want innovation? Here's something new.....a beige S23 Ultra.  I know, I know! You're speechless. Now get back in your cubicles and make it happen, nerds! I don't pay you 6 cents an hour to sit around.  I demand these products are spec-whored to death!  I want 32 GB of RAM and 2 TB of storage! And 16K resolution screens with 10,000mAh batteries!  Get on it!  

[/rant]]

davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    sdw2001 said:

These things are HIDEOUS in every respect.  They are so ugly I almost can't believe they are real.  The puke mauve color, the spider eyes-looking cameras.  The camera bump on the Plus.  The fact that the Ultra has FIVE cameras and an LED.  I feel like I'm reading this Onion article (NSFW) on how many blades they can fit into a razor.   :D.  Right now, there is probably a Samsung executive pounding on the table, yelling "For the S23 next year, I want more cameras!!! I want to see at least six...no....7.....aww hell, 10 cameras!  And four LEDS! And I want more innovative colors like this puke mauve we're showing.  I'm thinking pea soup green, loose crap brown, and uncomfortable shades of off-white.  You want innovation? Here's something new.....a beige S23 Ultra.  I know, I know! You're speechless. Now get back in your cubicles and make it happen, nerds! I don't pay you 6 cents an hour to sit around.  I demand these products are spec-whored to death!  I want 32 GB of RAM and 2 TB of storage! And 16K resolution screens with 10,000mAh batteries!  Get on it!  

[/rant]]

Like Steve Jobs would say, “They couldn’t even copy it right!!”
    edited February 2022 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,046member
    I cannot think of one person I know that has an Android tablet, Samsung or whoever.
    Maybe they could be used as point of sale at a pay toilet or something.
    sdw2001Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Beats said:
    KnockoffInsider
    Broken tape recorder

sdw2001 said:

[/rant]]
    Guess what - Four rear cameras is the next logical step for Apple's iPhones as well. Then your rant would be - Wow, what an innovation!!! May be not, but who knows. The reality is that 4 rear cameras provide the phones a certain versatility that the current setup cannot provide. And this is NOT a first proper quad rear camera setup either. I guess that credit goes to Huawei (I am sure Avon B7 will be more than happy to provide details on that). Samsung & other OEMs who are putting up a proper quad rear camera (Wide main camera, ultra wide, 3 or 5x telephoto 1, 10x telephoto 2) are right on this one.

kiltedgreen said:
    Fairly shortsighted comment, imho. These comments are being made by people who have no clue or whatsoever about the versatility that these cameras bring to the table. Once Apple brings the same quad camera setup to iPhones, it would be royal fun to read - "Wow, what an innovation", "Competitors might have done this earlier, but Apple has implemented it right" etc from the exact same people.
    ITGUYINSDimandoavon b7
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Fairly shortsighted comment, imho. These comments are being made by people who have no clue or whatsoever about the versatility that these cameras bring to the table. Once Apple brings the same quad camera setup to iPhones, it would be royal fun to read - "Wow, what an innovation", "Competitors might have done this earlier, but Apple has implemented it right" etc from the exact same people.
    Agree 100%.  Apparently, these people know (or care) very little about the quality of their photos (or maybe they don't even use the camera in which case, one has to wonder why they have an opinion).  The fact is, you cannot do everything with one lens on a phone.  Any DSLR user will have a bag of lenses, one for each purpose.  This is to get the best possible quality and function from each!  If I can carry 4 lenses on my phone and get the best possible pictures in each use case, isn't that a million times better than having to carry separate lenses?  Imagine a DSLR that has similar capability?  

Doesn't matter, though.  For many, anything any non-Apple device maker makes, it's stupid...until Apple copies it.  Then it's innovation or "same thing but done right".  
    muthuk_vanalingamimando
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Beats said:
    KnockoffInsider
    Broken tape recorder

sdw2001 said:

[/rant]]
    Guess what - Four rear cameras is the next logical step for Apple's iPhones as well. Then your rant would be - Wow, what an innovation!!! May be not, but who knows. The reality is that 4 rear cameras provide the phones a certain versatility that the current setup cannot provide. And this is NOT a first proper quad rear camera setup either. I guess that credit goes to Huawei (I am sure Avon B7 will be more than happy to provide details on that). Samsung & other OEMs who are putting up a proper quad rear camera (Wide main camera, ultra wide, 3 or 5x telephoto 1, 10x telephoto 2) are right on this one.

kiltedgreen said:
    I don’t buy iOS devices to take photos, that is an added bonus. If I need that much tech for photography, I’ll buy another prosumer camera. 

Sorry I hurt your butt with a little humor. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    I find the Galaxy S22/22+ to have a very attractive design. I can't immediately say the same for the S22 Ultra however, at least until I see it in person.  On that Note however,  the Ultra has introduced a slew of video improvements in a concentrated and very capable camera setup.  The Camera array layout itself doesn't have any additions from last years model, instead the camera setup seems to have been fully optimized instead.  Samsung chose to fix and improve the camera set by adding more axis room for the camera lens to move during video recording, as well as improve AI for depth detection.  I find that Samsung made a great decision.  The approach for Auto light/FPS adjustment is going to be a welcome feature for many people who use the camcorder in low light situations and don't have the skill or freedom to be manually adjusting the settings for an ongoing video while having a great time.  Those improvements are great features in the Ultra, I myself, am more interested in the size, shape and design of the S22+.  I have an iPhone 13 Mini and would like to use a 2nd phone for work. While the iPhone does a good job of handling e-mail with Outlook and Office, the galaxy line up seems like a better choice given that Office is embedded into the phone's system and Samsung sets OneDrive as the default cloud option for the device.  The S22 + seems like a great device, with a great screen that works naturally with Microsoft office and has a great camera setup as well, even if it isn't as amazing as the S22 Ultra. I would love the new video stabilization feature on the Ultra,  however, it would have to be truly amazing for me to consider carrying such a large phone.  
    Although I don't see myself switching from iPhone, this is the first time a Galaxy line up has made the case for me to own for it's individual promise, not it's competitive features against apple.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 12 of 12
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,026member
    Beats said:
    KnockoffInsider
    Broken tape recorder

sdw2001 said:

[/rant]]

kiltedgreen said:
    Dude, get a sense of humor.  I think the phones are ugly and spec-whored, as usual.  I know Apple will probably add another camera.  I’m sure it won’t be a hideous spec slut.  I suspect a redesign with camera pinhole in front, maybe in-screen Touch ID, I’ll very likely upgrade from my 12 Pro Max.  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra