Tesla design chief takes shot at Apple, claims there's 'nothing to look forward to'

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,884member
    danox said:
    What this guy misses is that, while Tesla is in the middle of and leading a new, bleeding edge industry, most of Apple's products are in mature industries -- so the spectacular great leaps forward are limited.

But, on the flip side of that:  What spectacular, great leaps has Tesla made recently?
    What leaps? fit, finish, brakes, steering? the first adopters have Teslas, the next group of buyers will have more choice, that’s when the wheel comes off the cart.

The group won’t put up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smGds4oz7cw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3daQ2HSg5pg
    Sheesh. This kind of QC is straight out of 70s Detroit. Nobody at Tesla ever heard of this guy named Deming?  What's going on is Silicon Valley beta-testing mentality transplanted into a car company.  And they have dreams of scaling up to rival Toyota. They won't have enough people to handle the idiosyncratic post-delivery fixes for millions of customers.  What a contrast from Toyota, Honda, etc. where QC is built into their products and processes from the ground up, not an afterthought to be dealt with later.  Tesla customers really must be cult members if they are willing to put up with this kind of crap on a $100K car.

And let's not talk about the people Tesla killed by installing software that is not adequately tested for safety.  Well, actually the deaths are considered a part of their safety testing.  (Beta testing mentality, remember?)
    dewmekillroytmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 72
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Says the guy pushing products with 4 wheels & a motor.
  • Reply 63 of 72
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    The purpose of this statement was to get people talking about Tesla design.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 72
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    colt033 said:
    I feel like he has a point. Tesla are an incredibly innovative company and I'm constantly checking in to see what new stuff is coming. Their UI design and software is extremely good.

Apple make great products and Apple Silicon was a huge innovation. But I don't bother with their launch events any more.

Yeah well I won’t buy a car without wireless carplay. 
    hammeroftruthwatto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 72
    You couldn't pay me to own a Tesla. Everyone I know has so many problems with them.
    rotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 72
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Tesla is too much of everything for doodling around town. And their manufacturing carbon footprint doesn’t break even until 90,000 miles. 

You need a lot less car for local driving. 

Cross country in a Tesla? No serendipity. Plan on mapping out every mile of drive and hours sitting somewhere charging up the battery for your next leg. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 67 of 72
    Well, thank God for the Tesla phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 72
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    What this guy misses is that, while Tesla is in the middle of and leading a new, bleeding edge industry, most of Apple's products are in mature industries -- so the spectacular great leaps forward are limited.

But, on the flip side of that:  What spectacular, great leaps has Tesla made recently?
    Well, they have perfected door handles that freeze up in cold weather, such as what the top half of the US experiences. Perhaps a Holtzhausen design team trip to International Falls, Minnesota might make appropriate design decisions more apparent. Most of the automakers do that.

Apropos of nothing Holtzhausen translates to English as "wooden house"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 72
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    13485 said:

Well, they have perfected door handles that freeze up in cold weather, such as what the top half of the US experiences. Perhaps a Holtzhausen design team trip to International Falls, Minnesota might make appropriate design decisions more apparent. Most of the automakers do that.

Apropos of nothing Holtzhausen translates to English as "wooden house"
    Even Tony Stark had to solve the icing problem.

killroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 72
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    colt033 said:
    I feel like he has a point. Tesla are an incredibly innovative company and I'm constantly checking in to see what new stuff is coming. Their UI design and software is extremely good.

Apple make great products and Apple Silicon was a huge innovation. But I don't bother with their launch events any more.

If you has said "Koenigsegg" was an incredibly innovative company, I would have to agree.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 72
    The problem with Elon is he over-promises and under-delivers. This was cute a few years ago when people were mostly patient with the new start up. Now it is starting to show its ugly side. Yes, Tesla has fans, but they are increasingly being disappointed, ignored, unappreciated, and outright taken advantage of.
    I feel Tesla's strength is their charging infrastructure, which is awesome and I highly doubt they'll open it up anytime soon. The Roadster was announced 5 years ago, 600 miles a charge, where is it? Or the Semi, the Cybertruck with "armor" glass. Where are they?
    watto_cobra