Global smartphone data speeds are up thanks to 5G rollout

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    I’m still not understanding how 5G on my iPhone matters. I have yet to see anyone watching 5 streams of sports video simultaneously and very little mobile gaming (and the mobile gaming I usually see is something like Candy Crush or Solitaire which are not bandwidth intensive).

Will it matter in the future? Possibly, but the future doesn’t make a difference on the phone I have now.

Yeh, you're right.  We should have stuck with 3G.  It was good enough.   /s
    Your reading comprehension is off today. I made no mention of 3G whatsoever. Not to mention the upgrade from 3G to LTE was immediately and noticeably better. Not so with 5G. 

Tell me, if you can, what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G on a cell phone. 

I see the sarcasm went right over your head.   But, while some prefer to be stuck in the past, others like to move forward.  I'm in the latter category.
    I knew you couldn’t answer the question. Your “stuck in the past” response is the best you’ve ever been able to come up with regarding 5G on a phone. 

The truth is; aside from benefits to the carrier or highly congested areas, the raw speed is not particularly useful (on a phone), despite the carrier propaganda. As pointed out above, there is no discernible difference using my phone when I am at home, on over 1 Gbps Wi-Fi, than while out with a slower cellular connection. What amazing capabilities are being unlocked by the higher Wi-Fi speed that I’m missing out on when on cellular? Answer: none

I suppose you will be advocating for 8k phone displays and 20 Gbps phone cell speeds, too, because bigger must always be better, even if the difference is negligible or can’t even be seen. 

ETA: as usual, you are off your game in the 5G threads. You can never answer the question of 5G on a phone. However, if I was to ask you the benefits of your Apple Watch you would easily be able to reply, as I have seen numerous times in the past. You also seem unable to realize that I’m not “against” 5G, I just haven’t seen a compelling reason we need it on phones (as consumers). 
    I think I -- or rather the Wall Street Journal I quoted from -- answered your questions.
    Specifically:
    The technical world is leaving us behind.  Yeh, in the past.  You are welcome to stay there flipping your phone though.  You seem to prefer that.
    Incorrect. Neither you or the WSJ quote answered my fairly simple question. At all. The WSJ did mention “breakthrough applications with potential economic and national security implications”, though, but again, didn’t give one hint as to what those might be or who is using them. 

Again, tell me, if you can, what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G on a cell phone. 

My guess is you won’t give me an answer based on your own experience. Instead you’ll repeat over and over about “the future” and “moving forward”. The carrier propagandists must love that. 

I’ll repeat this to be clear. I have no issues with 5G as a technology or its use in emerging areas. You seem not to be able to understand (or are simply ignoring) that in the case of mobile phones there isn’t much that is improved with 5G and nothing that can’t also be done over Wi-Fi, no miracle apps thanks to 5G. 

So unless you personally experience some great benefit -- despite, as the article clearly stated -- how American Telecoms have mismanaged it, you claim all of 5G is worthless.

Got it.
    The world seems to think otherwise though.  But stand your ground!
    Incorrect. The article you cited did not mention the benefits of 5G on a cell phone (unless you think consumer cell phones with 5G are a matter of national security). 

Again, tell me, if you can, what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G on a cell phone. We could make it easier, tell me benefits maybe you or I haven’t seen but are a real consumer benefit.

So you return to:  "Tell me what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G" 
    Your question is irrelevant.  3G, 4G, 5G are all part of the national infrastructure that our nation and its people depend on. 

Through the 1800's and early 1900's the nation invested extensively in the infrastructure of the day:  railroads, telegraph & telephone lines, roads, bridges, gas and electrical systems, educational and vocational systems -- and the great American industrial empire was enabled by those investments.  But today, that infrastructure is falling into obsolescence and disrepair -- as is our nation -- while other nations race ahead.

Asking if you "personally experience benefit" from the country's infrastructure has no meaning.  It is the foundation of our nation.  And, when it falls into obsolescence or disrepair, the nation and its people fall with it.

Like any corporation, the nation must invest in itself.  And, 5G is one part of that investment.
    I’m not “returning to” anything, it’s the one thing I’ve been on this whole thread. My question isn’t irrelevant, your response is. 

As a reminder, the headline of this article is, “Global smartphone data speeds are up thanks to 5G”. It isn’t about infrastructure and the benefits of advancing wireless standards. 

Since the initial rollout (and even prior to that) the cellphone carriers have been trumpeting the higher speeds and vague, supposed benefits 5G would bring. As I mentioned earlier, the “benefits” they often mention are somewhat dubious.  Carriers are advertising 5G as a must-have feature that really amazing and will open all sorts of possibilities  but all it comes down to is “it’s faster.” They aren’t saying “5G is part of the infrastructure we will rely on in the future and is critical to national security so upgrade your phone to a 5G model now and support your country!” 

For all the words you have typed here you haven’t said why 5G matters on a cell phone. ON A CELL PHONE. China is ahead in 5G rollout? Irrelevant to why it matters on a cell phone. S Korea has the highest 5G network speeds? Irrelevant to why it matters on a cell phone.

Will wireless networks continue to advance? Yes. Will phone manufacturers continue to add chips for the latest standards? Yes. Will it/does it really matter (as a feature that is heavily advertised as better)? Not really. 

Meanwhile, you still haven’t been able to tell me what the great benefits are to having 5G on a cell phone (as a consumer. Nobody is rushing to buy a 5G phone for national security or lower latency). This far in I don’t expect you to give me a real answer. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 46
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    crowley said:
    So unless you personally experience some great benefit -- despite, as the article clearly stated -- how American Telecoms have mismanaged it, you claim all of 5G is worthless.

Got it.
    Actually they never said 5G was worthless, just:
    I’m still not understanding how 5G on my iPhone matters.
    Which you replied to and starting tilting at windmills, as per usual.

As I pointed out:  judging something only by its personal benefit to you -- especially something critical to the nation's infrastructure -- is misguided.   As the article pointed out:  other countries (including the "C" word (I won't use the full name because that would set off your hate reflex) have surged ahead of us.-- while we debate "What does this do for ME????"
  • Reply 23 of 46
    crowley said:

Got it.

As I pointed out:  judging something only by its personal benefit to you -- especially something critical to the nation's infrastructure -- is misguided.   As the article pointed out:  other countries (including the "C" word (I won't use the full name because that would set off your hate reflex) have surged ahead of us.-- while we debate "What does this do for ME????"
    That’s exactly correct. Carriers market 5G to people, I’m included in that. So, what does 5G do for me on my phone? You keep trying to turn this to critical infrastructure, but that is not how the carriers position it to customers. You must know that. 

I’m not judging anything but except what that benefit is to consumers. The carriers imply there are amazing benefits to consumers. What are they?

China has surged ahead. What are people in China doing with 5G on their phones that non-5G phones are incapable of?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 46
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    GeorgeBMac said:
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:

Got it.
    I’m still not understanding how 5G on my iPhone matters.

Judging something by its personal benefit to you is what every single person does every single day with basically every single thing.  To say it's misguided is so far beyond idiotic.

And to reiterate, absolutely no one has said that companies and governments should not invest in 5G.  Go find another windmill.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    I’m still not understanding how 5G on my iPhone matters. I have yet to see anyone watching 5 streams of sports video simultaneously and very little mobile gaming (and the mobile gaming I usually see is something like Candy Crush or Solitaire which are not bandwidth intensive).

Will it matter in the future? Possibly, but the future doesn’t make a difference on the phone I have now.

Your reading comprehension is off today. I made no mention of 3G whatsoever. Not to mention the upgrade from 3G to LTE was immediately and noticeably better. Not so with 5G. 

Tell me, if you can, what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G on a cell phone. 

I see the sarcasm went right over your head.   But, while some prefer to be stuck in the past, others like to move forward.  I'm in the latter category.
    I knew you couldn’t answer the question. Your “stuck in the past” response is the best you’ve ever been able to come up with regarding 5G on a phone. 

The truth is; aside from benefits to the carrier or highly congested areas, the raw speed is not particularly useful (on a phone), despite the carrier propaganda. As pointed out above, there is no discernible difference using my phone when I am at home, on over 1 Gbps Wi-Fi, than while out with a slower cellular connection. What amazing capabilities are being unlocked by the higher Wi-Fi speed that I’m missing out on when on cellular? Answer: none

I suppose you will be advocating for 8k phone displays and 20 Gbps phone cell speeds, too, because bigger must always be better, even if the difference is negligible or can’t even be seen. 

ETA: as usual, you are off your game in the 5G threads. You can never answer the question of 5G on a phone. However, if I was to ask you the benefits of your Apple Watch you would easily be able to reply, as I have seen numerous times in the past. You also seem unable to realize that I’m not “against” 5G, I just haven’t seen a compelling reason we need it on phones (as consumers). 
    I think I -- or rather the Wall Street Journal I quoted from -- answered your questions.
    Specifically:
    The technical world is leaving us behind.  Yeh, in the past.  You are welcome to stay there flipping your phone though.  You seem to prefer that.
    Incorrect. Neither you or the WSJ quote answered my fairly simple question. At all. The WSJ did mention “breakthrough applications with potential economic and national security implications”, though, but again, didn’t give one hint as to what those might be or who is using them. 

Again, tell me, if you can, what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G on a cell phone. 

My guess is you won’t give me an answer based on your own experience. Instead you’ll repeat over and over about “the future” and “moving forward”. The carrier propagandists must love that. 

I’ll repeat this to be clear. I have no issues with 5G as a technology or its use in emerging areas. You seem not to be able to understand (or are simply ignoring) that in the case of mobile phones there isn’t much that is improved with 5G and nothing that can’t also be done over Wi-Fi, no miracle apps thanks to 5G. 

Got it.
    Incorrect. The article you cited did not mention the benefits of 5G on a cell phone (unless you think consumer cell phones with 5G are a matter of national security). 

Again, tell me, if you can, what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G on a cell phone. We could make it easier, tell me benefits maybe you or I haven’t seen but are a real consumer benefit.

So you return to:  "Tell me what benefits you have personally experienced of 5G over 4G" 
    Your question is irrelevant.  3G, 4G, 5G are all part of the national infrastructure that our nation and its people depend on. 

Through the 1800's and early 1900's the nation invested extensively in the infrastructure of the day:  railroads, telegraph & telephone lines, roads, bridges, gas and electrical systems, educational and vocational systems -- and the great American industrial empire was enabled by those investments.  But today, that infrastructure is falling into obsolescence and disrepair -- as is our nation -- while other nations race ahead.

Asking if you "personally experience benefit" from the country's infrastructure has no meaning.  It is the foundation of our nation.  And, when it falls into obsolescence or disrepair, the nation and its people fall with it.

Like any corporation, the nation must invest in itself.  And, 5G is one part of that investment.
    I’m not “returning to” anything, it’s the one thing I’ve been on this whole thread. My question isn’t irrelevant, your response is. 

As a reminder, the headline of this article is, “Global smartphone data speeds are up thanks to 5G”. It isn’t about infrastructure and the benefits of advancing wireless standards. 

Since the initial rollout (and even prior to that) the cellphone carriers have been trumpeting the higher speeds and vague, supposed benefits 5G would bring. As I mentioned earlier, the “benefits” they often mention are somewhat dubious.  Carriers are advertising 5G as a must-have feature that really amazing and will open all sorts of possibilities  but all it comes down to is “it’s faster.” They aren’t saying “5G is part of the infrastructure we will rely on in the future and is critical to national security so upgrade your phone to a 5G model now and support your country!” 

For all the words you have typed here you haven’t said why 5G matters on a cell phone. ON A CELL PHONE. China is ahead in 5G rollout? Irrelevant to why it matters on a cell phone. S Korea has the highest 5G network speeds? Irrelevant to why it matters on a cell phone.

Will wireless networks continue to advance? Yes. Will phone manufacturers continue to add chips for the latest standards? Yes. Will it/does it really matter (as a feature that is heavily advertised as better)? Not really. 

Meanwhile, you still haven’t been able to tell me what the great benefits are to having 5G on a cell phone (as a consumer. Nobody is rushing to buy a 5G phone for national security or lower latency). This far in I don’t expect you to give me a real answer. 
    Network Slicing:

https://www.ericsson.com/en/network-slicing?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiApL2QBhC8ARIsAGMm-KE1qp1O7YmaujXPutERAj9Pqq-X8fGPnSKanqUpb-UFGwpEqpJ3Co8aAr75EALw_wcB

About four years ago my bank was promoting the (then future) benefits of network slicing and 5G. Especially from a security perspective on handsets.

The same can apply to many walks of life where security is a higher priority (access to health systems, educational uses, government interaction etc).

Obviously, there are massive potential benefits for industry, IoT, automotive sectors too.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    crowley said:

Got it.

That’s exactly correct. Carriers market 5G to people, I’m included in that. So, what does 5G do for me on my phone? You keep trying to turn this to critical infrastructure, but that is not how the carriers position it to customers. You must know that. 

I’m not judging anything but except what that benefit is to consumers. The carriers imply there are amazing benefits to consumers. What are they?

China has surged ahead. What are people in China doing with 5G on their phones that non-5G phones are incapable of?

You could say the same about every utility -- where each is a critical part of the nation's infrastructure:  "What has it done for me?  Why should we build a sewer system?  I can just go dig a hole".
  • Reply 27 of 46
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:

Got it.

Judging something by its personal benefit to you is what every single person does every single day with basically every single thing.  To say it's misguided is so far beyond idiotic.

And to reiterate, absolutely no one has said that companies and governments should not invest in 5G.  Go find another windmill.

But, but, but.... what has it done for ME?  This is all about ME!   Only I count!
    That attitude is why China is surging ahead. 
  • Reply 28 of 46
    But, but, but.... what has it done for ME? This is all about ME! Only I count! That attitude is why China is surging ahead.
    China want to surge ahead in things that don't really seem to matter? Not something that concerns me. I'll take human rights.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 29 of 46
    crowley said:
    But, but, but.... what has it done for ME? This is all about ME! Only I count! That attitude is why China is surging ahead.
    China want to surge ahead in things that don't really seem to matter? Not something that concerns me. I'll take human rights.

The developed and developing world disagrees with your opinion
  • Reply 30 of 46
    crowley said:

Do they?  Fuck the lot of them then.  Progress without humanity is not progress at all.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Do they?  Fuck the lot of them then.  Progress without humanity is not progress at all.

Yeh, good point.  We should try that approach.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

We don't actually have to, because human rights are cared about in many/most developing and developed countries.  There's a major exception, and we all know how in the pocket of that craphole you are.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

We don't actually have to, because human rights are cared about in many/most developing and developed countries.  There's a major exception, and we all know how in the pocket of that craphole you are.

Yes, I love the U.S.  Admittedly we've abused human rights from the get-go -- starting with genocide and slavery up through killing an estimated 400,000 Muslims.  But, if you want to call it a "craphole" that's on you. 
  • Reply 34 of 46
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Yes, I love the U.S.  Admittedly we've abused human rights from the get-go -- starting with genocide and slavery up through killing an estimated 400,000 Muslims.  But, if you want to call it a "craphole" that's on you. 
    Aren't you so clever.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    crowley said:

Aren't you so clever.

Clever?  No, its just well known -- but often ignored -- U.S. history.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:

Got it.

But, but, but.... what has it done for ME?  This is all about ME!   Only I count!
    So now your failed attempts to answer my question, the benefits of 5G over 4G or Wi-Fi, have come down to you saying it’s some type of personality flaw with me being selfish. “Only I count!” Ha ha! If “I” equals “cell phone users”, of which there are billions.

You are perfectly aware that cell phones are highly personal devices, just like your Apple Watch. Do you have a passcode on your phone (rhetorical, I know you do)? Is that for YOU or for some benefit to society or to increase national security?

I have seen you post about the benefits of Apple Pay (so do I) and I’m pretty sure you are one of the people that has said you will skip shopping at a place you know doesn’t accept it in favor of a place that does. You say you like the speed, convenience and increase security Apple Pay offers. Those all benefit YOU. When you use Apple Pay and the person buying in the checkout aisle next to you is using a regular credit card how is your experience better for them? It isn’t, it’s benefiting YOU.

Similarly, I have seen you post about the benefits of an Apple Watch. The ease of Apple Pay on it, the benefits to tracking your health metrics, etc. Again, those are for YOU. Of course, if everyone was using an Apple Watch in the same way it would also benefit them, but the way it affects other people has no effect on how it benefits you, even if there’s some overlap.

Some things, like vaccinations, help the individual end user AND society at large. I don’t see how my using 5G or not has any effect on the rest of society.

This odd “ME” response flies in the face of your Apple Pay posting history and really shines a light on your inability to give a simple response to my query. Your China comment is irrelevant and makes no sense. 

avon b7 said:

Specifically:

Got it.

Network Slicing:

https://www.ericsson.com/en/network-slicing?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiApL2QBhC8ARIsAGMm-KE1qp1O7YmaujXPutERAj9Pqq-X8fGPnSKanqUpb-UFGwpEqpJ3Co8aAr75EALw_wcB

About four years ago my bank was promoting the (then future) benefits of network slicing and 5G. Especially from a security perspective on handsets.

The same can apply to many walks of life where security is a higher priority (access to health systems, educational uses, government interaction etc).

Obviously, there are massive potential benefits for industry, IoT, automotive sectors too.
    I followed your link. It’s interesting but is entirely focused on enterprise and business solutions, frequently citing new ways to build revenue. As an end user none of those things matter to me (except the vague potential to find new ways to charge me for something, great!).

I’m not sure what is hard to understand about my query, how 5G will benefit me (and other end users) aside from raw speed.

Our current vehicle has built-in Wi-Fi. To use it we have to pay an additional cell expense. We have chosen not to activate it as to us the benefits are negligible. When the day comes that I’m buying a car that is equipped with 5G I will want the salesperson to explain to me what it will do for my experience. If there are tangible benefits that enhance my car driving experience then fantastic, sign me up. Hopefully the answer won’t be “national security” and “amazing new applications”.
    edited February 2022 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 46
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:

Got it.

So now your failed attempts to answer my question, the benefits of 5G over 4G or Wi-Fi, have come down to you saying it’s some type of personality flaw with me being selfish. “Only I count!” Ha ha! If “I” equals “cell phone users”, of which there are billions.

Simply responding to your demand that 5G make your personal life better or it has no value.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:

Got it.

Simply responding to your demand that 5G make your personal life better or it has no value.
    Incorrect. Those are your words, not mine. You still have failed to give any examples of what people can do with 5G on their personal cell phone that they couldn’t already do. It wouldn’t be this hard if there were actual, tangible benefits other than “it’s faster”. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    crowley said:

Got it.

You are perfectly aware that cell phones are highly personal devices, just like your Apple Watch. Do you have a passcode on your phone (rhetorical, I know you do)? Is that for YOU or for some benefit to society or to increase national security?

I have seen you post about the benefits of Apple Pay (so do I) and I’m pretty sure you are one of the people that has said you will skip shopping at a place you know doesn’t accept it in favor of a place that does. You say you like the speed, convenience and increase security Apple Pay offers. Those all benefit YOU. When you use Apple Pay and the person buying in the checkout aisle next to you is using a regular credit card how is your experience better for them? It isn’t, it’s benefiting YOU.

Similarly, I have seen you post about the benefits of an Apple Watch. The ease of Apple Pay on it, the benefits to tracking your health metrics, etc. Again, those are for YOU. Of course, if everyone was using an Apple Watch in the same way it would also benefit them, but the way it affects other people has no effect on how it benefits you, even if there’s some overlap.

Some things, like vaccinations, help the individual end user AND society at large. I don’t see how my using 5G or not has any effect on the rest of society.

This odd “ME” response flies in the face of your Apple Pay posting history and really shines a light on your inability to give a simple response to my query. Your China comment is irrelevant and makes no sense. 

avon b7 said:

Specifically:

Got it.

Network Slicing:

I followed your link. It’s interesting but is entirely focused on enterprise and business solutions, frequently citing new ways to build revenue. As an end user none of those things matter to me (except the vague potential to find new ways to charge me for something, great!).

I’m not sure what is hard to understand about my query, how 5G will benefit me (and other end users) aside from raw speed.

Our current vehicle has built-in Wi-Fi. To use it we have to pay an additional cell expense. We have chosen not to activate it as to us the benefits are negligible. When the day comes that I’m buying a car that is equipped with 5G I will want the salesperson to explain to me what it will do for my experience. If there are tangible benefits that enhance my car driving experience then fantastic, sign me up. Hopefully the answer won’t be “national security” and “amazing new applications”.
    That link branched down into handset uses too. Like slicing for use in spectator events (Stadiums, concerts etc).

Then there are the security aspects of slicing that I mentioned (banking, health, education, government). All relevant to handset users.

In general companies will seek to monetise services so things like HD cloud gaming won't come free.
    edited February 2022
  • Reply 40 of 46
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    crowley said:
    GeorgeBMac said:

Got it.

Incorrect. Those are your words, not mine. You still have failed to give any examples of what people can do with 5G on their personal cell phone that they couldn’t already do. It wouldn’t be this hard if there were actual, tangible benefits other than “it’s faster”. 

So if it doesn't speed up your cell phone it has no value?   Got it.