New Mac mini & display in 2022, Mac Pro & iMac Pro coming in 2023 says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited March 2022
Apple's desktop Mac lineup for 2022 may only consist of an updated Mac mini accompanied by a new display, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts, with the rumored Mac Pro and iMac Pro thought to launch in 2023 instead.

Apple is busy preparing for its "Peek Performance" special event on Tuesday, with speculation rife about what Apple could uncover during the presentation. If TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is correct, it probably won't include any high-performance Macs.

In a Sunday tweet, analyst Kuo offered "Predictions for Apple's new desktop products." Of the two-line prediction, 2022's hardware consists of a "More powerful Mac mini and more affordable external display."

The new Mac mini is expected to have a revamped design, including a polycarbonate top surface, a thinner enclosure, and obligatory internal upgrades. Candidates include the use of the M1 Pro or M1 Max chip line, as well as an introduction of the M2 generation of Apple Silicon.

Predictions for Apple's new desktop products:
1. 2022: More powerful Mac mini and more affordable external display (27-inch without mini-LED).
2. 2023: Mac Pro and iMac Pro.

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Rumors claim Apple is working on multiple displays, including a 7K-resolution version and a cheaper alternative to the existing Pro Display XDR. Kuo seems to indicate the latter will be the display that will launch in 2022, mentioning it will be "27-inch without mini-LED."

While there is the general expectation that the Mac mini could appear during the event, Kuo's tweet doesn't guarantee that it will be the case. Kuo states 2022, but not when within the year the launch will occur.

As for other desktop Macs, Kuo thinks there's a bit of a wait before they will appear. Kuo thinks the Mac Pro and iMac Pro will appear in 2023, not 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kayesskayess Posts: 42member
    That fits with the event title - a peek at the high performance Macs that are to come. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    If the iMac can be considered a pro computer then you may as well call a raspberry pi a pro computer

It’s a Lifestyle computer.   
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    If the iMac can be considered a pro computer then you may as well call a raspberry pi a pro computer

Dream on troll.
    I still use a 2014 iMac professionally. 
    So even the 24” iMac can be a professional tool.
    The larger iMac Pro will be a further step up.
    Next you’ll be saying my new 16” MBP M1 Max is a hobbyist computer for school kids.

raoulduke42roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member

Idiotic statement.
    I still use my 2012 MacBook Air 11” professionally. I’d bet most PCs that age can’t even boot up  :D
    raoulduke42MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    seanj said:

Idiotic statement.
    I still use my 2012 MacBook Air 11” professionally. I’d bet most PCs that age can’t even boot up  :D
    Lol. Nope. I am still using a 15 year old PC with Intel Core2Duo processor (4GB RAM, Windows 7) for online classes for my kids. And guess what - it is adequately fast for this purpose and it is NOT slow by any stretch of imagination.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    shareef777shareef777 Posts: 136member
    seanj said:

Idiotic statement.
    Your statement is about as idiotic as the one you responded to. The iMac (or any Mac really) isn’t a “lifestyle computer” just as most PCs that age would still boot fine.
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    We now know the MacMini is not getting a PRO or MAX chip, which is what I've been saying all along. I'm guessing the bare bones Studio starts at no less than $2k but it's likely to be closer to $3k. The Mini will simply get the base M2 that's coming with a few extra graphics core and probably the enhanced media encoder/decoder.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 493member
    2012 and 2016 MBPs holding up every day here.
    watto_cobra