Apple Studio Display only starts at $1599, and can easily climb to $2458

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2022
Apple launched the new Studio Display at $1,599, but some options can take that higher -- and depending on your use case, they may be options you want.

Apple unveiled its new 27-inch 5K Apple Studio Display at its March 8 event, and it's a lower-resolution, lower-cost alternative to the Pro Display XDR. Plus the new monitor does come with a stand, meaning Apple perhaps listened to the criticism it got over the Pro Display XDR's costly stand options.

However, for $1,599, the Apple Studio Display comes with either a VESA mount adapter or what Apple calls a "tilt-adjustable stand." Buyers have to make a choice at the time of purchase, too.

Unlike the Pro Display XDR, you can't slap on a VESA adapter to the tilt-adjustable stand. Pick one, and you'll need to stick with it forever.

While choosing, though, you could also look at the extra options for both the stand and the display itself. Do so with a mind to just what your whole setup is, particularly the environment you will be working in.

For instance, if you're in a darkened video editing suite, maybe anything goes. But a media center with bright lights and open plan cubicles will have considerably more glare.

Apple has a solution: you can buy the Studio Display with Apple's nano-texture glass. That noticeably reduces glare on the screen, but with no other change, having it raises the price to $1,899.

Then the other options chiefly center on the stand, and you're not going to spend all this money and then prop the stand up on a phone book -- if you can still find a copy of Yellow Pages anywhere.

Unless you're lucky, the stand that can only tilt will not happen to be just the right height for you. Apple has you covered there, too, as it also offers what it describes as a "tilt- and height-adjustable stand."

By itself, electing to have that height-adjustable stand makes the price $1,999.

So if you're in a bright media office with low furniture, you're looking at nano-texture with a height-adjustable stand. And now you're looking at $2,299.

Don't forget cables

That could be all most people need, as the monitor comes with an Apple Thunderbolt cable in the box. However, the provided cable is just over three feet long. That's not going to be long enough for many setups.

To facilitate studios and users whose setups need more, Apple has already launched a new 1.8m Thunderbolt 4 Pro Cable, costing $129. Apple also lists a new 3 meter edition as "coming soon," and that costs $159.

Please, please don't buy Apple's 1.8-meter Thunderbolt cable. Right now, we like the Belkin Thunderbolt 3 cable, which will do precisely the same thing, for $69.99 retail.

So for a nano-texture Apple Studio Display with tilt- and height-adjustable stand, plus Apple's as-yet-unreleased 3-meter cable, the total price is $2,458. Or about $500 more than the base Mac Studio.

That's assuming, of course, that your setup needs only one 27-inch Studio Display.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Can someone explain the pricing of this display to me? Is it that much better than the screen that came in the $1800 iMac? I was hoping it would be closer to $1k. While I realize the options for that exact kind of display (resolution, size, specs) limits you to one 3rd party (ie. LG UltraFine), do most of us really need those specs? I think I'd be just fine with something like a BenQ 4k, etc. (or almost a half-dozen of them!) What am I missing?
    algrmattinoz
  • Reply 2 of 27
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    This is the component I was waiting for as an alternative to a 27" iMac. This plus a mac mini gives a lot more flexibility as opposed to the imac. The CPU upgrades are needed far more often than a whole screen. 

I see one of these in my future.
    cgWerkswilliamlondonjas99Detnatorscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    cgWerks said:
    Can someone explain the pricing of this display to me? Is it that much better than the screen that came in the $1800 iMac? I was hoping it would be closer to $1k. While I realize the options for that exact kind of display (resolution, size, specs) limits you to one 3rd party (ie. LG UltraFine), do most of us really need those specs? I think I'd be just fine with something like a BenQ 4k, etc. (or almost a half-dozen of them!) What am I missing?
    When comparing to other monitors, you're forgetting the integrated camera and speakers in this.  I'm not saying those justify the increased cost, but if you need them, it's extra cables and setup hassle to buy 3rd party ones (and they likely wouldn't be as good).
    cgWerkswilliamlondonjas99netroxscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27

So for a nano-texture Apple Studio Display with tilt- and height-adjustable stand, plus Apple's as-yet unreleased 3 meter cable, the total price is $2,458. 
    Why stop there. If you need 8 of these cables the price of this “monitor” increases to an eye-popping $3,598. And you need something to sit on so add $800 for a good chair. 
    caladanianviclauyycstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    eightzero said:
    This is the component I was waiting for as an alternative to a 27" iMac. This plus a mac mini gives a lot more flexibility as opposed to the imac. The CPU upgrades are needed far more often than a whole screen. 

I see one of these in my future.
    auxio said:
    When comparing to other monitors, you're forgetting the integrated camera and speakers in this.  I'm not saying those justify the increased cost, but if you need them, it's extra cables and setup hassle to buy 3rd party ones (and they likely wouldn't be as good).
    Both fair points. I guess any other display gives that same future upgradability, though. But, pricing it over the longer haul makes it seem less expensive than sticking into an iMac you just have to toss when you're done with it.

Yes, the camera/mics would be nice I guess. I've already good good of both, so I don't need them (and it wouldn't be good enough to replace them). Speakers would be nice, but again, probably not as good as what I want to eventually get if I get into creating music again (ie. studio monitors).

I'm sure it will be high quality. I need to look at the specs more... is input just the USB-C/TB? If I wanted to plug in, say a PS5 (or my Intel Mac mini), is there a way to do that and switch inputs? I'm not up on the methods to do that kind of stuff with the new cabling.
    dewmescstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    $1,599 considering what one gets for this display is not that bad a deal.  

I own three of Apple's 27" Thunderbolt monitor for my two iMacs and still use them to this day.  Those brand new costed $999 back in the day.  Currently, LG's 5K display is running $1,299 and I'll gladly pay the premium for Apple's offerings and support compared to LG's plastic ugliness.

Not sure what people are complaining about.  It's a 5K monitor and priced appropriated for what one gets.  Sure, I'd love it to be the $999 price that my current thunderbolt monitors were priced, but everything is expensive now.

I'm just glad Apple finally came out with updated monitors.  When it's time to upgrade my monitors, Apple-branded monitors are the only ones I use.  They just last forever.
    williamlondoncaladanianiqatedoviclauyycjas99GG1cgWerksbulk001netroxscstrrf
  • Reply 7 of 27
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Buy the LG UltraFine 5K 27" monitor for $1299. The two are almost the same. 
    caladanianbulk001shareef777netroxwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    The height adjustable mount is very impressive. I wish it was the only non-VESA option for the same base price. But for the money I'd just go for the VESA mount and invest in a really good monitor arm for the number of monitors I need. 

The odd thing about this monitor is that if I wanted a 2- or 3-screen setup I can't think of a reason why I'd want 2 or 3 cameras and speakers. I hope Apple (or someone) makes a version of this monitor with the same display panel but without the camera and speakers and for a reduced price.  Having the camera and speakers on one unit would be good enough, and in truth, I'd prefer to add my own speakers and camera. I guess these are really for folks who miss their 27" iMac.
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    $1599 seems like a great price but it converts to $2499 here in Australia. I’m still getting one though. Wondering if they’ll release a 32” Studio for those that don’t want to pay the pro $8k (AU) for that size. 
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    cgWerks said:
    I'm sure it will be high quality. I need to look at the specs more... is input just the USB-C/TB? If I wanted to plug in, say a PS5 (or my Intel Mac mini), is there a way to do that and switch inputs? I'm not up on the methods to do that kind of stuff with the new cabling.
    It is most certainly only USB-C/TB, that's the way things have been going. I have no idea what is on a PS5.
    cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cgWerks said:

There's only one upstream Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port, so you won't have much luck with the PS5.  The Mac mini might be fine if it has TB3.

The lack of inputs makes it a non starter for me.  Shame, it's quite a nice design in other ways.
    edited March 2022 cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Not that much less than the Apple monitor then. And if you consider the rear ports, Center Stage camera, Spatial compatible speakers, the classy look and the high end aluminum construction instead of cheap plastic, the LG doesn’t seem like the better deal really.
    Detnatorwilliamlondonscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    algralgr Posts: 27member
    > Hacks the A13 chip in the monitor.
    > Installs MacOS.
    MrBunsidecgWerkswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    sflocal said:
    $1,599 considering what one gets for this display is not that bad a deal.  

I own three of Apple's 27" Thunderbolt monitor for my two iMacs and still use them to this day.  Those brand new costed $999 back in the day.  Currently, LG's 5K display is running $1,299 and I'll gladly pay the premium for Apple's offerings and support compared to LG's plastic ugliness.

Not sure what people are complaining about.  It's a 5K monitor and priced appropriated for what one gets.  Sure, I'd love it to be the $999 price that my current thunderbolt monitors were priced, but everything is expensive now.

I'm just glad Apple finally came out with updated monitors.  When it's time to upgrade my monitors, Apple-branded monitors are the only ones I use.  They just last forever.
    I guess $1299 seems a bit closer to iMac 5k minus the Mac, but more the issues - for me - seems that I don't get the need for this spec monitor (compared to a lot of other monitors that cost considerably less). I'll probably end up with 1 or 2 BenQ 4k or something like that. But, I also get investing in something really good that is what you need, and it lasting a long time.

techaccident said:
    It is most certainly only USB-C/TB, that's the way things have been going. I have no idea what is on a PS5.
    I'm not certain either (I have a PS4), but I assume HDMI. I suppose there are converters to run that into it, but I wonder if you'd have to do the input switching with external gear as well?

crowley said:
    There's only one upstream Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port, so you won't have much luck with the PS5.  The Mac mini might be fine if it has TB3.
    The lack of inputs makes it a non starter for me.  Shame, it's quite a nice design in other ways.
    Yeah, kind of like the iMac dropping video in, it seems like Apple doesn't consider people using multiple devices. This should have definitely been considered with the move to Apple Silicon where one might need to run an Intel Mac for some time along with a new Apple Silicon one. I'd have to look into it more, but I'm sure there are external units that can do the switching. (At least I hope!)
    scstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    DetnatorDetnator Posts: 287member

cgWerks said:
    For most people 4K, 350nits, clunky build quality, and woeful customer support is enough.  That's what you get for $500-$1000.  Some of us want more than that. When the onIy 5K monitor around that's remotely Mac compatible was the LG I tried that, had multiple hardware issues with it, and dealing with LG's support probably took years off my life.  I tried 4K as an alternative, but for me at least, it just doesn't cut it.  Some people say they can't tell the difference between 150 and 220dpi, or 350 and 500 nits.  I don't get it. It's night and day for me. The extra pixels (it's almost twice as many) and increased brightness of the LG 5K make a significant difference to my productivity (when it's not going through LG's warranty repair processes).

Now, that covers differences between the many 4K options and the LG 5K.  Then there's the LG 5K vs this new Apple Studio Display (ASD)...

Not quite (actually not even close).  There are some very significant differences, such that I'm surprised there's only $300 difference.

LG 5K:
    • 500 nits
    • USB3 5GBps
    • 14lb
    • 1080p camera (~2MP)
    • Crappy speakers
    • Crappy mic
    • Terrible build quality with persistent hardware issues
    • Woeful LG customer support
    • $1300

Apple Studio 5K: 
    • 600 nits + True Tone
    • USB3 10Gbps
    • 12lb
    • 12MP camera (6x the pixels, + Center Stage)
    • High quality 3 mic array, directional beam forming (if these are anything like the MBP mics then they're amazing)
    • Superior speakers (+ spatial audio)
    • Excellent build quality (presumably, if it's typical Apple).
    • Best in class Apple customer support
    • built in A13 CPU
    • $1600
    Bottom line, other than the 5K resolution part, nothing is the same.  (More here)

Not that much less than the Apple monitor then. And if you consider the rear ports, Center Stage camera, Spatial compatible speakers, the classy look and the high end aluminum construction instead of cheap plastic, the LG doesn’t seem like the better deal really.

Far from it.  And it seems many others agree. I ordered two of these ASD's within seconds of the store coming back online this morning, and enough people still got in before me that mine aren't coming until the end of the month.  They're either very short on supply or a lot of people want them.

bulk001netroxwilliamlondoncgWerksscstrrfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    dewme said:
    The height adjustable mount is very impressive. I wish it was the only non-VESA option for the same base price. But for the money I'd just go for the VESA mount and invest in a really good monitor arm for the number of monitors I need. 

Yeah.  The engineering in the $999 XDR one is pretty amazing. I'm sure this is similar (without the magnets, rotation, extra strength for the heavier monitor, and as much need to recover R&D cost).

I'm doing pretty much the same as you, although for different reasons.  If I only wanted it on my desk I'd just get the height adjustable mount, but I need it to move around in a few directions etc. in my home office, so I have a really long industrial arm attached to a pole mount, handling my LG 5K.  This will be a simple swap out.

cgWerkswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    algr said:
    > Hacks the A13 chip in the monitor.
    > Installs MacOS.
    LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    It’s a shame about the price jump from £999 on the old displays to £1499, but it is what it is. The bit that stopped me preordering last night was the £400 extra for the tilt/height mechanism. As with the Mac Pro wheels they’re just taking the piss out of everyone right there!
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Boy I would like this monitor but I'm torn, I need VESA mount right now but I think that should be an option to purchase/addon like on the old iMacs, in the future I may need a normal stand but as usual new Apple makes you make a choice that has no future option for you, get a stand no VESA, get VESA, never get a stand.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    For what it's worth, I did come across a recent review of a tilt-adjustable stand that also accommodates VESA mounts and permits screen rotation to either landscape or portrait orientation in addition to position/tilting. Among other sizes, it is listed to support 100 x 100mm, which is what specified for the Studio Display VESA option.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXYN33U

This may be worth investigating. As I am looking at this, one further item is worth noting... the unit is designed for monitors weighing between 20 - 42 pounds and the Studio Display (VESA option) is 12.1 pounds. If I find other options that address this, I'll add a posting.
    edited March 2022 cgWerkswatto_cobra