Intel Mac Pro not quite done yet, Apple releases Radeon Pro W6600X MPX module

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has added another configuration option for the Mac Pro, with the company adding a new, mid-tier Radeon Pro W6600X MPX module option for initial configurations and stand-alone purchases.




While the Radeon 6600 graphics card has been in production since August of 2021, Apple has made it available for the Mac Pro for the first time in an MPX module form.

Based on a 7-nanometer process, the W6600X brings 9.8 teraflops of single-precision computing performance alongside 8 GB of onboard GDDR6 memory. Now packaged in the Mac Pro Expansion module, the card can take advantage of the increased power of the MPX standard without cabling, while using a PCIe connector.

Apple says it supports up to 256 GB/s of memory bandwidth, which supports up to four 4K displays, one 5K display, or two Pro Display XDR units.

The new card is available as a $300 upgrade option for both the tower and rack configurations of a new-purchase Mac Pro. It is also available as a $700 standalone option for existing Mac Pro users looking to further expand the capabilities of their machine.

The new W6600X MPX module requires macOS Monterey 12.3 or later. It's not yet clear what the performance differences are, if any, between the W6600X module and a commercial card, other than the need to run power cables.

The modular Mac Pro with the MPX module standard was launched at WWDC in June of 2019 alongside Pro Display XDR.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    The existing MacPro chassis should be able to accommodate both Apple Silicon and Intel in the same box.  Some pros may have the need to run native Intel for years to come.  Being able to switch between silicon architectures can bring the best of both worlds.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,233member
    JWSC said:
    The existing MacPro chassis should be able to accommodate both Apple Silicon and Intel in the same box.  Some pros may have the need to run native Intel for years to come.  Being able to switch between silicon architectures can bring the best of both worlds.
    Which apps are dragging their feet on moving away from x86 code?

    The Mac Studio already puts the Mac Pro to shame for a whole lot less money. Current Mac Pro owners should start parting out their old equipment and hope to get enough money to buy a new Mac Studio.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ciacia Posts: 242member
    My only question is:  The card supports four 4k displays, but only one 5k display?  How is this?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thttht Posts: 5,350member
    cia said:
    My only question is:  The card supports four 4k displays, but only one 5k display?  How is this?
    It supports 2 Pro Display XDRs, which are 6k, so it has the perf to drive 2 5k monitors. Driver issue? Typo?
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,814administrator
    tht said:
    cia said:
    My only question is:  The card supports four 4k displays, but only one 5k display?  How is this?
    It supports 2 Pro Display XDRs, which are 6k, so it has the perf to drive 2 5k monitors. Driver issue? Typo?
    No idea. This is what Apple says it supports. 

    We've asked about it, but haven't gotten a response.
    watto_cobra
Sign In or Register to comment.