Blender update adds support for Metal GPU rendering on Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    cgWerks said:
    fastasleep said:
    Not sure what you mean — software companies have to and/or are working to support Metal if they make such software for macOS. Regardless, 99% of the world isn't using OneAPI, nor do I see Apple supporting it for any reason, which is what I was responding to.
    I just meant that at least with Intel Macs, it didn't matter if they made it for MacOS or not, we could run it anyway. Maybe Windows emulation will go better than I think at this point, but as much as I like this transition, we're now back in the pre-Intel days in terms of software support and begging companies to make a Mac version.

Sorry, missed the OneAPI aspect though. I don't think that will catch on either, if that's what you likely meant.
    You can run x86 Windows software in emulation on Windows for ARM, and run that in Parallels, so theoretically short of any incompatibilities, you're in the exact same situation as before, more or less.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    fastasleep said:
    You can run x86 Windows software in emulation on Windows for ARM, and run that in Parallels, so theoretically short of any incompatibilities, you're in the exact same situation as before, more or less.
    It depends on what you're trying to do. For example, you're not going to run a Windows crypto-miner in the emulator, or even play a game (like Planetside 2) that requires anti--cheat software (ex: Battleye). Emulation can do quite a bit, but a number of situations require direct hardware access or software components that might not work in emulation. With my Intel mini, I do both of these things (though, getting the eGPU going via Bootcamp and mining, was anything but trivial! It literally took me like 4 months of research and dozens of install attempts).
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 24
    The Blender update that supports Metal GPU rendering on Mac is a great addition to the software. It allows for much faster rendering times and gives the user more control over the process. Using Metal GPUs for rendering is a huge advantage for Mac users, as it allows them to utilize the full power of their computer's hardware. The update also includes several other improvements and bug fixes, which makes it an essential update for all Blender users. Also, for better rendering speed and quality, I use ForgeHub. You could also try it.
    edited September 2022 cgWerks
  • Reply 24 of 24
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    The Blender update that supports Metal GPU rendering on Mac is a great addition to the software. It allows for much faster rendering times and gives the user more control over the process. Using Metal GPUs for rendering is a huge advantage for Mac users, as it allows them to utilize the full power of their computer's hardware. The update also includes several other improvements and bug fixes, which makes it an essential update for all Blender users. Also, for better rendering speed and quality, I use ForgeHub. You could also try it.
    Thanks, I’ll check ForgeHub out. I’m encouraged by a bigger player like Blender optimizing for Apple Silicon. But, I still hope Apple gets closer in terms of hardware features (like ray-tracing silicon) to what AMD/Nvidia offer, or whether new Macs perform well is always going to be a case-by-case basis.