Tim Cook responds to thank you note after Apple Watch saves dentist's life

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple CEO Tim Cook has reacted to a thank you note after an Apple Watch helped save a dentist's life, saying he was glad that medical attention was sought and treatment received.

Nitesh Chopra, a dentist in Haryana, India, felt discomfort in his chest, prompting him to use the ECG function of the Apple Watch Series 6 to get a reading. After seeing the results, Chopra and wife Neha consulted a doctor about the symptoms and reading.

He was found to have a blocked artery, which led to the dentist receiving treatment. After the intervention, Nitesh said he was "blessed" and "can't express" his gratitude to the Apple Watch for helping him at an early stage, reports the Hindustan Times.

"Initially I used Apple Watch as a fashion accessory and to check the time and my step count, and could not imagine that one day it will save my life," he said.

At the hospital, an ECG was performed to monitor Nitesh's condition, but the couple was amazed at the accuracy of the Apple Watch's version. "When I was in CCU, my wife and I were continuously comparing our Apple Watch reading with the monitor, and they were in sync," said Nitesh.

Following the medical incident, Neha sent an email to Tim Cook, thanking the CEO for saving Nitesh's life. In response, Cook emailed "I'm very glad you sought clinical evaluation and received the care you desired. Thank you for sharing your story with us. Have a good day. Best wishes, Tim."

The Apple Watch has repeatedly been credited with saving the lives of its users over the last few years. Other examples of the phenomena include an Australian nursing student's Apple Watch detecting thyroid issue symptoms months ahead of a diagnosis, fall detection helping an elderly woman in an incident that led to a lung cancer diagnosis, and it calling emergency services after a man fell from an electric bike.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    This man made a conscious decision to use his Apple Watch to check his health. In my case, my Apple Watch gave me an unexpected message saying there was something wrong with my heart rate and I should check with my doctor. I had been feeling extra tired that day but I didn't know that grogginess could be a symptom of a heart problem, and my Apple Watch brought my condition to my attention. A couple of the nurses in the E.R. were so impressed that my Apple Watch detected this that they told me they were going to get one, too. Did it save my life? I think I can say "yes" without much exaggeration.

My advice is that if you feel abnormal in any way, including being unusually tired, use your Apple Watch's ECG. If it detects a problem, you'll have a permanent record of the problem when it occurred. (Although I'm not sure if a Medical Examiner will [or can] check your online HealthKit data if you should die before you get medical attention.) The quality of the Apple Watch ECG's readings aren't as good as the ones you get in a hospital, mostly because the hospital's readings are taken from a half dozen contact points on your chest, but it's better than nothing.

Also, at the end of an ECG there's an "Add Symptoms" button where you can choose to flag certain selectable symptoms. It's best to use this every time to make a conscious decision to review and record extra symptoms. If you have none, make the decision to click "None."
    zoetmbBeatsqwerty52viclauyychcrefugeefred1cg27jony0watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I really love hearing these kinds of stories about the Apple Watch. And it got me thinking, has anyone ever heard of the Fitbit watches doing the same thing. Serious question. I know everything is Apple here and I love Apple. I’ve even had several versions of the watch, but currently I have the Fitbit Sense. The main reason why I went back to a Fitbit (I had one before Apple Watch S1 was even introduced) is the amazing battery life on them. I had to remember to charge the Apple Watch everyday and it got annoying. 

Anyway, so yea, I was just curious if the Fitbits were just as successful at bringing medical conditions to the users attention. 
    Bart Y
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Did he send a thank you letter to the CEO of the company that invented the stint that is keeping his artery open?
    zigzaglens
  • Reply 4 of 24
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Did he send a thank you letter to the CEO of the company that invented the stint that is keeping his artery open?
    What does that have to do with notification?
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I remember iKnockoff morons praising Google saying “Google is extending life!” Because of some random cancelled moonshot project that died long ago. Fast forward a few years and Apple is actually saving lives!
    qwerty52viclauyycjony0watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 6 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Remember when that old anti-Trump, pro-Putin invading Ukraine guy on here said that you should never listen to the Apple Watch saying anything about ECG readings because it was just a fashion accessory and only a single-lead ECG that could never amount to a real-world use that could lead to saving lives? I do.
    jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    I emailed Tim when I had my heart issue that sent me to the ER/days in the ICU and I was very joyful when he promptly responded well wishes and get better soon. I was also very thankful my wife had the upgraded apple watch to inform me at the time when i felt my heart wasn't right. It is very cool that the CEO of a large company takes the time to respond to customers direct emails with more than a general statement. 
    Beatsfred1cg27jony0watto_cobraBart Y
  • Reply 8 of 24
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    This man made a conscious decision to use his Apple Watch to check his health. In my case, my Apple Watch gave me an unexpected message saying there was something wrong with my heart rate and I should check with my doctor. I had been feeling extra tired that day but I didn't know that grogginess could be a symptom of a heart problem, and my Apple Watch brought my condition to my attention. A couple of the nurses in the E.R. were so impressed that my Apple Watch detected this that they told me they were going to get one, too. Did it save my life? I think I can say "yes" without much exaggeration.

My advice is that if you feel abnormal in any way, including being unusually tired, use your Apple Watch's ECG. If it detects a problem, you'll have a permanent record of the problem when it occurred. (Although I'm not sure if a Medical Examiner will [or can] check your online HealthKit data if you should die before you get medical attention.) The quality of the Apple Watch ECG's readings aren't as good as the ones you get in a hospital, mostly because the hospital's readings are taken from a half dozen contact points on your chest, but it's better than nothing.

Also, at the end of an ECG there's an "Add Symptoms" button where you can choose to flag certain selectable symptoms. It's best to use this every time to make a conscious decision to review and record extra symptoms. If you have none, make the decision to click "None."
    Do you know what his apple test result was? What was your test results? I got several notifications that my heart rate was unusually high 120bpm, but it was when I had covid and recovering. I also have been feeling more tired than usual lately. My test shows sinus rhythm though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    neosum said:

Do you know what his apple test result was? What was your test results? I got several notifications that my heart rate was unusually high 120bpm, but it was when I had covid and recovering. I also have been feeling more tired than usual lately. My test shows sinus rhythm though.
    What's an "Apple Test Result"?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    neosum said:

The ECAppleInsider said:
    Nitesh Chopra, a dentist in Haryana, India, felt discomfort in his chest, prompting him to use the ECG function of the Apple Watch Series 6 to get a reading. After seeing the results, Chopra and wife Neha consulted a doctor about the symptoms and reading.

The ECG test result from your apple watch. Mine just says sinus rhythm, but I'd like to know what other results are. I've only seen sinus rhythm.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Xed said:
    Remember when that old anti-Trump, pro-Putin invading Ukraine guy on here said that you should never listen to the Apple Watch saying anything about ECG readings because it was just a fashion accessory and only a single-lead ECG that could never amount to a real-world use that could lead to saving lives? I do.
    Your comment is very contradictory. Trump is very pro Putin and very frequently praises him and says nice things about Russia. Also, why bring politics into a non politics story. Also, how do you know that the guy is even old when the ECG feature didn’t even come out that long ago?
    Dogperson
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Xed said:
    Your comment is very contradictory. Trump is very pro Putin and very frequently praises him and says nice things about Russia. Also, why bring politics into a non politics story. Also, how do you know that the guy is even old when the ECG feature didn’t even come out that long ago?
    My post is factual. You’ll have to ask the poster to whom I’m referring why he’s so contradictory. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    My post is factual. You’ll have to ask the poster to whom I’m referring why he’s so contradictory. 
     But he (GeorgeBMac) is already banned by AI and he can't respond back to your post. So you can give it a rest now.
    22july2013jony0
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
     But he (GeorgeBMac) is already banned by AI and he can't respond back to your post. So you can give it a rest now.
    When and why did that happen? I figured he was tilting at some other windmill for the time being.
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    When and why did that happen? I figured he was tilting at some other windmill for the time being.
    He was banned at least 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure about the exact reason for the ban, but I guess it was to do with one of the posts related to the Russia-Ukraine war.

Edit: He was banned on Mar-03-2022.
    edited March 2022 22july2013jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I’m not saying that your post is not factual. Just contradictory. You said that a poster was anti-Trump and at the same time pro-Putin. I was just pointing out that Trump is also pro-Putin.
    jony0
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    I’m not saying that your post is not factual. Just contradictory. You said that a poster was anti-Trump and at the same time pro-Putin. I was just pointing out that Trump is also pro-Putin.
    While it's commonplace that people that are anti-Trump are likely anti-Putin, and vice verse on the pro- side, these are not contradictions in terms as these are different people. The person to whom I refer is very much an outlier in this regard. If he was still here you could ask him why he feels this way, but alas, he is not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24
    neosum said:
    neosum said:

The ECAppleInsider said:

The ECG test result from your apple watch. Mine just says sinus rhythm, but I'd like to know what other results are. I've only seen sinus rhythm.
    I see... you're talking about the results from the ECG app. In my case, there was no "result" because my Apple Watch autonomously popped up a message telling me something. It wasn't the result of me running any app at all. I've just examined the Health app's records for two years ago and I couldn't see any record of the warning that I received exactly two years ago. EDIT: I just found a note attached to some of my heart rate readings in the Health App, and they say "High Heart Rate Notification." It looks like it gave me one warning every approx. six hours for about two days.

I don't remember the message, but it was probably something along the line that my heart rate was unusually fast.
    edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    neosum said:
    neosum said:

The ECAppleInsider said:

I see... you're talking about the results from the ECG app. In my case, there was no "result" because my Apple Watch autonomously popped up a message telling me something. It wasn't the result of me running any app at all. I've just examined the Health app's records for two years ago and I couldn't see any record of the warning that I received exactly two years ago. EDIT: I just found a note attached to some of my heart rate readings in the Health App, and they say "High Heart Rate Notification." It looks like it gave me one warning every approx. six hours for about two days.

I don't remember the message, but it was probably something along the line that my heart rate was unusually fast.
    You can set the heart rate notification as you please, but I assume most stick with the defaults.

edited March 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Xed said:
    Xed said:
    Trump is also pro golf.  And I'm going to assume that there are some golfers who don't much like Trump.  There's no contradiction in not 100% aligning yourself with a political leader.  Only dogmatic sheep do that.
    watto_cobra