Leaked 'iPhone 14 Pro' & 'iPhone 14 Pro Max' diagrams clearly show camera bump

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
Leaked diagrams show the "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max" will be thicker and sport the same large camera bump.

The 'iPhone 14 Pro' could keep the extra large camera bump
The 'iPhone 14 Pro' could keep the extra large camera bump

A more detailed leak of the "iPhone 14 Pro" shows that Apple won't be changing much about the external dimensions of the iPhone in its next update. However, the pill and hole-punch cutout remain front and center for the pro models.

A known leaker named Max Weinbach has shared apparent diagrams of the "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max," complete with measurements in millimeters. When compared to the existing iPhone 13 Pro models, the numbers are near identical.

The recent CAD leaks for the pro models have shown that Apple will stick with the iPhone 13 Pro design, including the camera bump. The notch will be replaced with a hole and pill cutout that houses the Face ID sensor array and the selfie camera.

Leaked diagrams provided by Max Weinbach
Leaked diagrams provided by Max Weinbach

The slight difference in dimensions may be attributable to reduced bezel thickness around the display and the lack of a notch. Both devices are also slightly thicker by 0.2mm.
Dimensions"iPhone 14 Pro"iPhone 13 Pro"iPhone 14 Pro Max"iPhone 13 Pro Max
Height147.46mm146.7mm160.7mm160.8mm
Width71.45mm71.5mm77.58mm78.1mm
Depth7.85mm7.65mm7.85mm7.65mm
The last few design leaks have shown that the initial renders originating from Jon Prosser may not be accurate. He predicted that Apple would bring back iPhone 4-like elements like round volume buttons and make the camera bump flush with the case.

Renders based on Jon Prosser's original leaks
Renders based on Jon Prosser's original leaks

Neither of these rumors have been repeated in recent leaks. Given that Prosser's leaks were provided before the iPhone 13 event in September 2021, a lot could have changed, or Apple never intended to use the leaked design.

Apple is expected to announce the next lineup of iPhones durng a September Apple event. Rumors say that Apple may drop the iPhone mini in favor of a larger "iPhone 14 Max" and provide the A16 processor only to the pro models, keeping the standard models on the A15.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I hope it comes in green!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,406member
    I know retooling to build and sell a bazillion phones is not an issue for Apple, but I am still surprised that they would do that for such minuscule differences in size. I mean we are talking less than a 10th of a mm in some cases.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dk49dk49 Posts: 280member
    I thought we will finally be getting periscope zoom in iPhone in 2022, but it seems I will have to wait longer..
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I think the A15 rumour for the non-Pro iPhone is about limited chip supply. They know the A15 is good enough and faster than most of the competition. However, it would be weird to see an old chip in a new model, so I don’t really know what Apple is planning. What is new about the phone? Is it just design, screen, camera megapixels?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    mike1 said:
    I know retooling to build and sell a bazillion phones is not an issue for Apple, but I am still surprised that they would do that for such minuscule differences in size. I mean we are talking less than a 10th of a mm in some cases.

It’s so stupid and keeps Apple cases from becoming ubiquitous.  I wonder if Apple does this crap on purpose to keep selling you new cases. They should be universal by this time (3-4 sizes) which would simplify the lineup and accessories. 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    Gotta love the way the Apple rumor mill feeds on itself.

Step 1: Start ridiculous rumor that gets widely reported, nonetheless: in this case, the preposterous idea that the camera bump would disappear after just significantly increasing in size, because... magic? Create digital imagery of iPhones that shows this magical transformation.

Step 2: Various outlets keep swapping different but essentially the same stories about the rumored but impossible change because high volume reporting = must be true. Meaningless but official-sounding phrases like, "Reports say that..." and "Apple is expected to..." start being used, lending an additional air of credibility to utter nonsense.

Step 3: New rumor! And it's a shocker! The new rumor is that the old rumor about losing the camera bump (though magic) may not be true! But not taking sides, either rumor could be true, we'll just have to see!

Step 4: New, possibly true (or not) drawings! And they contradict the old fake digital images of a bumpless iPhone! Wow, who saw this coming! But the only way to truly know what's true and what's not is... more rumors!

Step 5: Wash, rinse, repeat. 
    edited March 2022 mikeybabes
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I will definitely feel disappointed if it has the same size camera bump. I normally don’t like a case with my iPhone but I got one for the 13 Pro because of the camera bump and also because I thought the Sierra Blue color was unattractive.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 1,059member
    I will definitely feel disappointed if it has the same size camera bump. I normally don’t like a case with my iPhone but I got one for the 13 Pro because of the camera bump and also because I thought the Sierra Blue color was unattractive.
    Get ready for disappointment. Listen: apart from the inevitable new processor, Apple has been focusing iPhone Pro improvements on the camera/video system in recent years. I expect we'll see bump ups this year to sensor size, megapixel count, lens speed and--maybe--optical reach of the telephoto lens. Apple had to increase the camera bump size on the 13 Pro models to accommodate similar improvements last year. The best we can hope for with another round of upgrades on the 14 Pro cameras is that the bump remains the same, which in itself would be impressive. The laws of optics haven't changed over the past year and the list of goodies I mentioned as upgrades require space to accommodate them. Having worked for many years with big and heavy full-frame pro digicams and lenses, I can tell you that what the best of today's camera phones are able to do is nothing short of miraculous. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,406member
    Beats said:
    mike1 said:

It’s so stupid and keeps Apple cases from becoming ubiquitous.  I wonder if Apple does this crap on purpose to keep selling you new cases. They should be universal by this time (3-4 sizes) which would simplify the lineup and accessories. 

As long as the camera array is the same size, I'd bet the old Apple cases at least would fit fine on the new phones and vice versa. There's some flexibility with the leather and silicon materials.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,954member
    Let us drrrreeeeeeeemmmm!