... but she can't buy a beer?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Someone figure this out for me. I'm sure many of you are convinced I'm not that smart so help me out.

Now this young woman, Pfc. Jessica Lynch,

can join the Army, go through basic training, learn how to fix M1 tanks (or what ever it is she does), get shipped to Iraq, ambushed, return fire ... maybe kill people, get shot & legs broken and take POW by one of the worst regimes out there (god knows what they did to her), then rescued by special forces and sent to Germany for recovery.

But she can't walk into a bar in the US and buy a beer?

What's up with that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    You're under age aren't you?
  • Reply 2 of 52
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    No I'm 32. Had several beers on Tuesday at a bar. I might like to buy this woman a beer and hear what she has to say. But I can't. Not legally.
  • Reply 3 of 52

I enjoy your sense of humor, Scott.

Seriously, there's no national drinking age... states just face the withdrawal of federal money set aside for their interstates if they don't set a minimum age of 21. Sneaky, huh?
  • Reply 4 of 52
    Yes I know SPJ. Did I say that it was different? Ummm ... no.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    Well, you asked. These things happen I suppose.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Well, in truth, I don't think lowering the drinking age is a bad idea. Minors are going to drink anyway. Hell, in Europe teens drink all the time, and Europe has fewer alcohol problems than the US. I think the whole 21 thing just ecourages minors to drink more. By that I mean because they can't drink freely, when they get the chance drink, they drink ALOT more than they would if they could drink anytime they wanted. It's dangerous behavior.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Well, you asked. These things happen I suppose.

I suppose I did.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    It's obvious. Alcohol is a whole lot more dangerous than guns, tanks, and Saddam Hussein and his thugs.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    enaena Posts: 667member
    We have a lot of laws, but little justice.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

It's obvious. Alcohol is a whole lot more dangerous than guns, tanks, and Saddam Hussein and his thugs.

And marijuana most dangerous of all!
  • Reply 11 of 52
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Yeah, Scott, we all know why you really want to buy her a beer...

LOL

Fellowship
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Yeah, Scott, we all know why you really want to buy her a beer...

Naw not me. 19 is way way too young for me. Young women are nice to look at but ... I don't know. I like women my own age. Too bad my wife is older
  • Reply 13 of 52
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    anybody know how they came up with 21? 18 just seems so much more natural.
  • Reply 14 of 52
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    You can have her I want to buy Nebulous a beer

Of course I am sure such a beautiful person such as Nebulous has her sensibilities about her and would never allow a right-wing nut like ol'e fellowship to lead her a'stray!

LOL!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 15 of 52
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Someone figure this out for me. I'm sure many of you are convinced I'm not that smart so help me out.

Now this young woman, Pfc. Jessica Lynch,

can join the Army, go through basic training, learn how to fix M1 tanks (or what ever it is she does), get shipped to Iraq, ambushed, return fire ... maybe kill people, get shot & legs broken and take POW by one of the worst regimes out there (god knows what they did to her), then rescued by special forces and sent to Germany for recovery.

But she can't walk into a bar in the US and buy a beer?

What's up with that?

I would agree with everything you have to say Scott if she was drafted. I believe that the drinking age should always stay the same as the draft age. However she choose to be in the Armed Forces so she has no more right to drink then anybody else her age.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

I would agree with everything you have to say Scott if she was drafted. I believe that the drinking age should always stay the same as the draft age. However she choose to be in the Armed Forces so she has no more right to drink then anybody else her age.

Scott is right, if she has the right, or if it is legal to risk your live for your countrie, you should have the right to take a beer. In most democratic countries, the legal age to enter in army is the legal age to drink a beer aka 18 years.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I don't understand what the two things have to do with another. You have to be 16 to drive, 18 to vote, etc. I suppose we could just set one age when you are officially an adult in every respect - drive, vote, work, have consensual sex, marry, drink, etc. But I don't see any particular reason why that would be necessary.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    I agree, I think 18 should be the age where you aquire every single right in the book, however that's not the case. As it stands now you get some liberties when you're 18, and the rest when you're 21. With that in mind I don't see why she should get a break just because she choose a different job from all the rest who didn't take that path.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    As I understand it, she's already back in the US. Had she stayed in Germany, she could've had some very nice beer. And legally.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 20 of 52
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i think the point is that fighting in wars would be the biggest, most dangerous one of them all. (age related rights)

so why the hell isn't it the oldest one the most significant/dangerous one.

drop the drinking age or up the draft age.