Apple may keep 'iPhone 14 Pro' camera bump to hold larger 48MP sensors

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2022
The camera bump on the back of the latest "iPhone 14 Pro" and "iPhone 14 Pro Max" schematic leaks will be bigger to accommodate the larger imaging sensor, an analyst claims, with the shift to a 48MP sensor requiring more space.

On March 22, allegedly leaked diagrams for Apple's fall iPhone refresh indicated a probability that the camera bump on the rear will remain for yet another year, despite speculation in renders. As for why the bump will persist instead of disappearing, the decision may be down to the other rumored camera changes.

Apple is thought to be shifting from 12-megapixel camera sensors to 48-megapixel versions, which will be a major upgrade for the smartphone. Since bigger sensors will be used, that means the design will have to take into account the amount of consumed space inside the device.

In a Sunday tweet, TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo mused on the schematic release, confirming that the main reason for the bump in the iPhone 14 Pro range is due to "upgrading the wide camera to 48MP."

The main reason for the larger and more prominent rear-camera bump of the 14 Pro/Pro Max is upgrading the wide camera to 48MP (vs. 13 Pro/Pro Max's 12MP). The diagonal length of 48MP CIS will increase by 25-35%, and the height of 48MP's 7P lens will increase by 5-10%. https://t.co/lrwgmnLNce

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

According to Kuo, the diagonal length of the high-resolution image sensor will be bigger than the 12-megapixel version by between 25% and 35%. Diagonal width is not the only change, as the 7-piece (7P) lens for the sensor will also grow by between 5% and 10%.

In an extremely confined device, increasing the size of imaging components and shrinking the bump at the same time is a tall order. It's reasonable for Apple's engineers to consider keeping the well-established bump around for a while longer, so that the cameras can be improved without impacting the other internals too much.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I’d prefer Apple making the 14 Pro slightly thicker if it meant getting rid of the bump.
    oberpongocornchipdewme
  • Reply 2 of 18
    bluefire1 said:
    I’d prefer Apple making the 14 Pro slightly thicker if it meant getting rid of the bump.
    Remember, most people put their phone in a case, which negates the bump but can’t negate additional thickness. 
    Xedmike1
  • Reply 3 of 18
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Since Ive left, Apple couldn’t come up with anything new in form factor 
  • Reply 4 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    bluefire1 said:
    Just imagine the battery life.
    royboy
  • Reply 5 of 18
    hucom2000hucom2000 Posts: 149member
    Duh!      
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Penti_UK said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Remember, most people put their phone in a case, which negates the bump but can’t negate additional thickness. 
    I guess I’m one of the few who don’t want a case, and my phones have always stayed in pristine condition without a case. I put my phone in a case for the 13 Pro because it doesn’t lie flat without a case but I would go back to no it using a case if there were not such a pronounced bump. The 12 Pro had a bump but it was not really too bad whereas in the 13 Pro it became more extreme. I like the better cameras and larger sensors so I guess I would prefer for the phone to be a little thicker. Now the rumors are for the megapixels to go sky high with even larger sensors. It’s hard for me to come out against that, but I still don’t like the extreme bump idea. In my opinion the phone looks nicer without a case.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I suppose there is a case to be made for using a case to address the bump. But just in case the bump is gone, would so be the case? Such is the case of the case of the case. 

Xed
  • Reply 8 of 18
    XedXed Posts: 2,543member
    Penti_UK said:
    bluefire1 said:
    I guess I’m one of the few who don’t want a case, and my phones have always stayed in pristine condition without a case. I put my phone in a case for the 13 Pro because it doesn’t lie flat without a case but I would go back to no it using a case if there were not such a pronounced bump. The 12 Pro had a bump but it was not really too bad whereas in the 13 Pro it became more extreme. I like the better cameras and larger sensors so I guess I would prefer for the phone to be a little thicker. Now the rumors are for the megapixels to go sky high with even larger sensors. It’s hard for me to come out against that, but I still don’t like the extreme bump idea. In my opinion the phone looks nicer without a case.
    I'm one that doesn't use a case and I've never had a problem with the camera bump. I guess I'm not one to put my phone on a flat surface to use it—I weirdly use my iPhone in my hand.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Xed said:
    Penti_UK said:
    bluefire1 said:
    I'm one that doesn't use a case and I've never had a problem with the camera bump. I guess I'm not one to put my phone on a flat surface to use it—I weirdly use my iPhone in my hand.
    I also put it in my hand to use it but I still like it to lay flat on a surface instead of teeter totter. If I’m weird then so be it.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 10 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I never believed those rumors or renders of the 14 eliminating the camera bump completely. Didn’t those come from Prosser before the 13’s were even released? Regardless, now we have rumors of the 14’s without a camera bump, with the same size camera bump, and with a larger camera bump. Sounds like a fishing expedition by Apple to root out leakers, to me. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 18
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Xed said:
    Penti_UK said:
    bluefire1 said:
    I also put it in my hand to use it but I still like it to lay flat on a surface instead of teeter totter. If I’m weird then so be it.
    I guess if it’s weird to occasionally set your phone down instead of holding it in your hand 24 hours a day, then I must be too. 
    muthuk_vanalingamcrowley
  • Reply 12 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    So 4x the storage for one shot. I hope the iPhone 14 starts at 256GB because it’s going to need it. Will the A16(?) be fast enough to handle video and multiple shots? This could be an amazing camera but 48MP only for wide angle. I hope to see some true telephoto capabilities to go along with the massive pixel amount. 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cornchip said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Just imagine the battery life.
    And the weight!
    mike1
  • Reply 14 of 18
    rob53 said:
    So 4x the storage for one shot. I hope the iPhone 14 starts at 256GB because it’s going to need it. Will the A16(?) be fast enough to handle video and multiple shots? This could be an amazing camera but 48MP only for wide angle. I hope to see some true telephoto capabilities to go along with the massive pixel amount. 
    Remember that 48MP is 12MP when binned. So Apple may use 48 for some shooting, and bin everything else. That gives better noise and dynamic range, bit the same storage. It’s believed that the 48MP is really for 8K video, as you need close to that for it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 15 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    bluefire1 said:

Nope. Going in a case anyway.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mike1 said:
    bluefire1 said:

Nope?  It's their preference, you can't nope it.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    crowley said:
    mike1 said:
    bluefire1 said:

Nope?  It's their preference, you can't nope it.
    It’s just not realistic at this time. I don’t see the point complaining about something that’s technically necessary.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dbs888dbs888 Posts: 13member
    Penti_UK said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Apple's own iPhone cases don't "negate" the bump. I have an Apple silicone case on my iPhone 13 Pro Max. It cannot lie flat (screen-side up) because the camera bump, with the case on, protrudes. The case, itself, has a ridge around the phone's camera bump. I can't imagine that any non-Apple case is any different.
    I bought one of those glass screen-saver things designed to protect the camera bump and it seems to work OK. But the camera bump is a clumsy work-around at best.
    Making the phone thicker to eliminate the camera bump would, in-principle, be OK except that the 13 Pro Max is already pretty big and heavy (feels like a brick compared to the XsMax I had before.