Apple faces escalating fines over Dutch dating app payments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,455member
    lkrupp said:
    Apple’s next proposal should be to shut down the App Store in the Netherlands. Then these companies can use web apps with whatever payment providers they want and nothing owed to Apple.

Maybe the only thing a web app would lack that a dating app “needs” is notifications. But that is an easy feature to add since Safari already supports them on macOS.
    Nope. Why Apple is trying to postpone the inevitable is a mystery. The EU is going to do this whether Apple likes it or not. They cannot withdraw from the EU market anymore than they could withdraw from China or South America or any other market. The hypocrisy here is that Apple has stated that they comply with all the laws of the countries they do business in. When China tells them to remove an app they do it. When China told them to keep Chinese customer’s data on Chinese servers they did it. When Russia told them to include certain Russian domestically developed apps, they did it. If they can comply with totalitarian government dictates then why not the democratic EU? When these EU laws are passed and implemented what’s Apple going to do? If these laws turn out to truly damage Apple’s business then maybe they have a case to appeal.

Always remember the macOS market has had "side loading" and third party payment systems since day one and is quite healthy and profitable for Apple to this day. iOS can implement gatekeeping that can be bypassed by the user if so desired, just like macOS. Warn the shit out of users before allowing it. Scare the crap out of them before letting them download and install questionable software.

We as Apple supporters should also be ready push back when some idiot gets their data or identity compromised and then tries to blame Apple for it, just like the losers who install malware but claim they didn’t do nuttin’.

Chinese data should be on Chinese servers, why would you think that to be strange? If China misuses their data then that is the problem, not that the data stays in the country. Unlike China, the Netherlands is not asking their data to stay within their own country, but for Apple to change the experience, profits, that break their model. A model I frankly appreciate, I want an ecosystem that is not as fiddly as a home computer, one that is secured and where I don't have to bother with technical complexities or requires me to jump through hoops just to pay for a service. Apple does a great job in building a comprehensive end-to-end experience that is deservingly profitable.

Your perception of the world is typically Americanized. All things you accuse China with, we have them here and in Europe. You don't have to look further than the stereotype in our media when Russia attacked Syria vs Ukraine, or when the US killed news reporters in Iraq and labeled them as collateral damage, or when Iran captured a US spy ship and had the decency to release it yet we killed their scientists and accused them of terrorism. This is global politics as usual and the US has its own agenda and brainwashes their citizens as see fit, so do other countries. There are prisoners from 9/11 that are still imprisoned with no evidence, thanks to the Patriot Acts and politicians who are afraid to be criticized. If you think we have freedom of speech look no further than the blocking of Russia's opinion, that perspective is mocked and blocked as we wave the flag of freedom.
    Apple's deals with China and Russia are non-negotiable, the US also has identical requirements, just look into export controls law. We don't even know how many gag orders Apple has been dealt.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    KTRKTR Posts: 278member
    I think apple should shut down the store in that country
  • Reply 23 of 23
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,222member
    The Netherlands is now officially bullying Apple. Where are the fines against Google, Microsoft, Samsung, et al?

At this point I think Apple should take the matter to court. I suspect they'd win -- the entire matter (a ridiculous amount of store rewrite, payment verification and (as a reminder) a way for Apple to still collect a cut since they are legally entitled to do so, all for a teeny tiny subset of paid apps -- has no foundation in the law, and seems like a capricious demand if not (at a minimum) applied fairly to all apps and all other services offering apps.
    edited March 2022 radarthekat