Apple testing App Store feature that automatically opts users in to price hikes

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is quietly testing a new App Store feature that allows developers to automatically raise prices on app subscriptions without a user's explicit opt-in.

App Store
App Store

The new feature was first discovered by App Store users who noticed that Disney+ was simply informing them of a recent price hike, instead of asking for them to agree to it. Developer Max Seelemann first noticed the change in App Store policy.

iOS biz people Subscription price increase as mere NOTICE instead of having to confirm, else subs expires.

Is this new behavior for everyone or exclusive to Disney+? pic.twitter.com/zt7c15QcTA

-- Max Seelemann (@macguru17)

The new price hike alert is positioned as a notification, with a prominent "OK" button to dismiss it. If users want to change their subscription, they would need to tap the smaller "review your subscription" button above it.

It isn't clear if users need to actually press the "OK" button for the new pricing to take effect. Seelemann said he also received an email from Disney+ that essentially told him the price was raising and he was automatically being opted in at the higher rate.

In other words, the new system seems to automatically opt in users to a higher price unless they explicitly opt out.

That's different from how Apple's official development guidelines describe how subscriptions are supposed to work. Under current policy, a notification alerting users to a price hike are supposed to have a prominent "Agree to New Price" button.

Seelemann isn't the only one to notice the updated notifications. Other users also chimed in to say that they've seen similar behavior from other streaming apps.

In a statement to TechCrunch, Apple did not dispute the news. Instead, Apple said that it is currently pilot testing a "new commerce feature we plan to launch very soon."

"The pilot includes developers across various app categories, organization sizes and regions to help test an upcoming enhancement that we believe will be great for both developers and users, and we'll have more details to share in the coming weeks," an Apple spokesperson said.

The pilot test appears to be limited to a select handful of companies like Disney+. According to the report, other developers weren't able to enable the automatic price hikes on their own apps.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    This is obviously in the original terms and conditions that was agreed to when first signing up. Now just like cable and satellite companies they can increase the price every other month with only a notification of the increase. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 515member
    Wonder if it's related to the high inflation rate or just a gift to big subscription services.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Read the tweets.  How is this so confusing for so many of you?  Pressing the button clearly isn’t going to do Anything.  What on earth do you guys have for breakfast?  Some of you are holding you fingers in the air over the button like on any planet in the universe it would matter at all.  

The notification is being delivered because Disney is raising their rates and Apple requires it be disclosed to users in advance.  The message includes a link if you want to cancel, which you can always do from your Apple Account settings under Subscriptions, as has been done for over a decade now, but just in case, under all the details about the price change including the date it comes into effect, there is a link explaining, in case that’s also somehow a mystery, that you can cancel and where to go.

If you’re holding out on pressing the button, wake the F up and see a brain doctor.  Nearly everyone in that Twitter thread needs help.

And as for the title of the article, this is a test in what way?  This is normal behavior.  You have a subscription, the vendor is raising the price, here’s the details.  What exactly are you expecting Opt-In to look like?  You can say “I Decline” and your rates stay the same?  That’s absurd.  You have an active subscription, the response to a change of terms would be an Opt-Out, and that’s what the notification is doing.  You can’t just pay what you feel like paying, and Apple would have no business cancelling your subscription without asking first in order to give you some weird mirage of having an Opt-In.

Honestly.  
    edited April 2022 mwhiteleavingthebiggsgs46iOS_Guy80twokatmewradarthekatwatto_cobraapplguyfahlmanjony0
  • Reply 4 of 27
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    My life has vastly improved now I no longer look at tweets. 

The other downside of Twitter is revealing how emotive and utterly reactive without thinking the majority of the population really is. So removing the Twitter app is helping me to think better of my fellow man.
    twokatmewM68000watto_cobrarotateleftbytedewme
  • Reply 5 of 27
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    If that isn't illegal, it should be.
    elijahgmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 6 of 27
    I think a lot of people approach this type of issue as if absolutely no one is ever going to agree to a price hike...which isn't actually true. The reality is that both opt-in and opt-out have drawbacks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    This just sounds like a way for Apple to make more money while increasing uncertainty for their customers. I don’t want to nag about this, but I cannot find anything positive about it.
    elijahgrotateleftbytegrandact73gatorguy
  • Reply 8 of 27
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Good thing I already dropped Disney+.    This is really stupid. And I bet you could dispute this easily since you never agreed with the specific new pricing explicitly. 
    elijahgwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

And as for the title of the article, this is a test in what way?  This is normal behavior.  You have a subscription, the vendor is raising the price, here’s the details.  What exactly are you expecting Opt-In to look like?  You can say “I Decline” and your rates stay the same?  That’s absurd.  
    Obviously absurd.  So absurd that I can't really believe you thought that's what anyone would expect.

The alternative is that if the rate increase isn't accepted then the subscription ends.  Just like how free trials work in (most) app subscriptions, once it's over the subscription ends, the user isn't signed up to pay anything until they confirm.

Given the choice I'd prefer the latter, though at least this is an explicit notification, very clearly delivered to your device; much better than an email that can easily get buried.
    Anilu_777muthuk_vanalingamjony0
  • Reply 10 of 27
    chadbag said:
    Good thing I already dropped Disney+.    This is really stupid. And I bet you could dispute this easily since you never agreed with the specific new pricing explicitly. 
    Very doubtful.  The terms and conditions will say that rates may rise and set out how they will notify you.  The customers agreed to them.
    applguydewmejony0
  • Reply 11 of 27
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    If I was selling a subscription service in a country with a national annual inflation rate of >1000%, like Venezuela, using local currency, I would need my subscription plan to increase by about 100% per month otherwise I'm getting 90% less value each year, cumulatively. Then there's high annual inflation rates in Sudan (340%), Lebanon (200%), Syria (140%). Those are the leaders, then there are a handful of countries around 30% like Turkey and Iran. Apple needs to support subscription services in these countries which need steep rate increases to keep the value of the service at the same level. Even in countries like the US where rates tend to be around 2%, subscription services have to increase by that amount to be able to maintain their own value.

More importantly, Apple has its own subscription services, which it can increase without a required opt-in button, and Apple probably is doing this to preempt the EU from having its normal conniption fit once they uncover that Apple doesn't allow competitors to do what it's already doing. So it seems fair and equitable. For both reasons: inflation and fairness.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 12 of 27
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Read the tweets.  How is this so confusing for so many of you?  Pressing the button clearly isn’t going to do Anything.  What on earth do you guys have for breakfast?  Some of you are holding you fingers in the air over the button like on any planet in the universe it would matter at all.  

The notification is being delivered because Disney is raising their rates and Apple requires it be disclosed to users in advance.  The message includes a link if you want to cancel, which you can always do from your Apple Account settings under Subscriptions, as has been done for over a decade now, but just in case, under all the details about the price change including the date it comes into effect, there is a link explaining, in case that’s also somehow a mystery, that you can cancel and where to go.

If you’re holding out on pressing the button, wake the F up and see a brain doctor.  Nearly everyone in that Twitter thread needs help.

And as for the title of the article, this is a test in what way?  This is normal behavior.  You have a subscription, the vendor is raising the price, here’s the details.  What exactly are you expecting Opt-In to look like?  You can say “I Decline” and your rates stay the same?  That’s absurd.  You have an active subscription, the response to a change of terms would be an Opt-Out, and that’s what the notification is doing.  You can’t just pay what you feel like paying, and Apple would have no business cancelling your subscription without asking first in order to give you some weird mirage of having an Opt-In.

Honestly.  
    Well, this guy clearly missed the point.
    muthuk_vanalingamapplguy
  • Reply 13 of 27
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    crowley said:

And as for the title of the article, this is a test in what way?  This is normal behavior.  You have a subscription, the vendor is raising the price, here’s the details.  What exactly are you expecting Opt-In to look like?  You can say “I Decline” and your rates stay the same?  That’s absurd.  
    Obviously absurd.  So absurd that I can't really believe you thought that's what anyone would expect.

The alternative is that if the rate increase isn't accepted then the subscription endsJust like how free trials work in (most) app subscriptions, once it's over the subscription ends, the user isn't signed up to pay anything until they confirm.

Given the choice I'd prefer the latter, though at least this is an explicit notification, very clearly delivered to your device; much better than an email that can easily get buried.
    Nearly ALL free trial offer requires you to subscribe first and give a CC number. It is up to the subscriber to cancel before the end of the free trial period if they no longer want to subscribe. Otherwise they will be automatically billed for the months after the free trial. You do not choose to subscribe after the free trail, you subscribed before the free trial and the subscription do not automatic end at the end of the free trial. Haven't you ever notice that with nearly all free trials, it's ... "cancel at any time'. It's not .. "confirm at any time". 

https://www.spotify.com/sg-en/legal/new-30-days-free-trial-terms-and-conditions/

If you decide that you do not want to become a paying user of the Spotify Premium Service upon the lapse of the Free Trial Period, you have to terminate your Premium Service (instructions for this can be found at https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/account_settings/how-to-cancel-your-subscription/) by the end of the Free Trial Period.

https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/?ref_=dmm_acq_mrn_d_gn_z_AQexH3Gl-c_c_513257245127_g_96995543995&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg4zi672B9wIVJj2tBh3uaAKMEAAYASAAEgLgZfD_BwE

your subscription continues until cancelled.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G6RZ3AA6NQMCKYEM

While you won't be charged for your free trial, you'll be upgraded to a paid membership plan automatically at the end of the trial period. For help turning off your Amazon Prime membership renewal, go to End Your Amazon Prime Membership.

https://www.hulu.com/no-ads

Once your free trial is over, you’ll be charged month-to-month. You can cancel anytime online or by calling us, and if you do so before your trial ends, your card won't be charged the monthly subscription fee.

https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/11020997#zippy=,what-happens-when-a-free-trial-ends

When your free trial period is over, your account will automatically switch to a paid membership. At that point, you’ll be charged the standard price for the Base Plan, and any subscriptions you’ve added to your YouTube TV membership. The date will become your monthly billing date going forward. 

https://www.thetealmango.com/technology/how-to-get-paramount-plus-free-trial/

If you only signed up for Paramount+ to use the free trial, make sure you cancel it manually before it ends. Or else, you will be charged the monthly fee automatically.
    foregoneconclusionchasmStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 27
    davidw said:
    crowley said:

The alternative is that if the rate increase isn't accepted then the subscription endsJust like how free trials work in (most) app subscriptions, once it's over the subscription ends, the user isn't signed up to pay anything until they confirm.

Nearly ALL free trial offer requires you to subscribe first and give a CC number. It is up to the subscriber to cancel before the end of the free trial period if they no longer want to subscribe. Otherwise they will be automatically billed for the months after the free trial. You do not choose to subscribe after the free trail, you subscribed before the free trial and the subscription do not automatic end at the end of the free trial. Haven't you ever notice that with nearly all free trials, it's ... "cancel at any time'. It's not .. "confirm at any time". 

https://www.spotify.com/sg-en/legal/new-30-days-free-trial-terms-and-conditions/

If you decide that you do not want to become a paying user of the Spotify Premium Service upon the lapse of the Free Trial Period, you have to terminate your Premium Service (instructions for this can be found at https://support.spotify.com/account_payment_help/account_settings/how-to-cancel-your-subscription/) by the end of the Free Trial Period.

https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/?ref_=dmm_acq_mrn_d_gn_z_AQexH3Gl-c_c_513257245127_g_96995543995&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg4zi672B9wIVJj2tBh3uaAKMEAAYASAAEgLgZfD_BwE

While you won't be charged for your free trial, you'll be upgraded to a paid membership plan automatically at the end of the trial period. For help turning off your Amazon Prime membership renewal, go to End Your Amazon Prime Membership.

Once your free trial is over, you’ll be charged month-to-month. You can cancel anytime online or by calling us, and if you do so before your trial ends, your card won't be charged the monthly subscription fee.

https://support.google.com/youtubetv/answer/11020997#zippy=,what-happens-when-a-free-trial-ends

When your free trial period is over, your account will automatically switch to a paid membership. At that point, you’ll be charged the standard price for the Base Plan, and any subscriptions you’ve added to your YouTube TV membership. The date will become your monthly billing date going forward. 

If you only signed up for Paramount+ to use the free trial, make sure you cancel it manually before it ends. Or else, you will be charged the monthly fee automatically.
    Thanks for telling everyone what they already know, but I very deliberately said app subscriptions, and was very clearly talking about the Apple ecosystem.  If you sign up for a free trial in an iOS app your subscription will not continue into a paid arrangement without a second authorisation, it will just cancel by default.

There are some exceptions to this for Apple services, but for most apps this is what happens.  Unless something has changed recently I suppose, I haven't subscribed to anything in a while.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    darkvader said:
    If that isn't illegal, it should be.
    According to the screenshot the user is on a month to month Disney+ plan, not an annually plan where the price is locked in for 12 months. This is nothing more than a notification that Disney is raising the price with the option to continue, learn more, or change the subscription. Would you prefer to not receive a notification and be surprised when your credit card statement arrived the following month? The intelligence of some people and their inability to reason is absolutely astounding!
    chasmDetnator
  • Reply 16 of 27
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    crowley said:

The alternative is that if the rate increase isn't accepted then the subscription ends.  Just like how free trials work in (most) app subscriptions, once it's over the subscription ends, the user isn't signed up to pay anything until they confirm.

So you're suggesting Apple automatically cancels your subscription with no notification?
    chasmStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 27
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    Headline is misleading in that there isn’t, and never has been, an option to “opt-in” to price increases. The price is 100 percent the provenance of the service provider, and unless you have locked in a yearly subscription — the price could go up (or down, conceivably) and all that is legally required on the part of Apple is to notify you of this and give you the option to manage or cancel your subscription accordingly.

Which they do. This is no change at all except that Apple is making price changes more noticeable, which I would have thought people would see as a pro-consumer move. Goes to show I don’t think the way most people do, judging from the majority of reactions in this thread. But then if I’m signing up for a service after a free trial, I generally go for a year subscription so the price doesn’t increase during that term.

If that’s an option for your preferred services, you might consider it. Most services offer 12 months for the price of 10 if you sign up for the whole year, and thus you only have to make a decision about cancelling and pricing once a year.
    StrangeDaysDetnator
  • Reply 18 of 27
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    crowley said:
    davidw said:
    crowley said:

Thanks for telling everyone what they already know, but I very deliberately said app subscriptions, and was very clearly talking about the Apple ecosystem.  If you sign up for a free trial in an iOS app your subscription will not continue into a paid arrangement without a second authorisation, it will just cancel by default.

There are some exceptions to this for Apple services, but for most apps this is what happens.  Unless something has changed recently I suppose, I haven't subscribed to anything in a while.
    Maybe it's the Queens English, but you might be confusing an app with a free trial period before making a "purchase", with an app that is a "subscription". An app "purchase" is a one time payment which allows you to use the app with no further payment. A app "subscription" has a reoccurring payment (usually monthly) for as long as you want to use the service the app provides. Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, HBO, Apple Music, Apple+, Pandora, WSJ, ESPN, Twitch, Bumble, Google One, Office365, Bloomberg, YouTubeTV, Paramount+, etc. are app subscriptions. You do not purchase a subscription app, you subscribe to its service for a period of time, by making regular reoccurring payments.   

All the app subscriptions I've mentioned are on iOS and available in the Apple App Store. Not sure how many of them can be paid by using iTunes.  And I'm willing to bet that everyone of them that offer a "free trial" period, requires you to cancel before the free trial period ends or otherwise you automatically become a paying subscriber.  And most of them are sneaky in that they do not keep you inform along the way, as to when your free trial is about to end. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    crowley said:
    davidw said:
    crowley said:

Incorrect. I just went thru this w/ the YouTube app -- you sign up for the 3-months free trial, and afterward it *automatically* starts billing you.

Same thing w/ the Starz and Showtime free trials -- after you enroll, and after the free window, it bills you *automatically*.

Agreed, sounds like you haven't tried many of these services.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 20 of 27
    crowley said:
    davidw said:
    crowley said:

Incorrect. I just went thru this w/ the YouTube app -- you sign up for the 3-months free trial, and afterward it *automatically* starts billing you.

Same thing w/ the Starz and Showtime free trials -- after you enroll, and after the free window, it bills you *automatically*.

Agreed, sounds like you haven't tried many of these services.
    I haven't.  I have used others that don't automatically start billing you.