Google's self-repair program for Pixel launches, Apple's program is nowhere to be seen

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google is teaming up with iFixit to provide customers with repair parts for Pixel phones. And, five months after announcement, there have been no updates on own Apple's repair program.

Repair program
Repair program

As part of the partnership between iFixit and Google, genuine repair parts for Pixel devices will become available from iFixit starting later in 2022. The available parts will include everything from batteries to displays to cameras.

On Friday, iFixit said it has been working with Google for five years to improve repairability of Pixel devices and says it looks forward to "continuing that relationship."

Google isn't the only smartphone manufacture to announce a program to provide genuine parts and repair resources to consumers.

Apple in November 2021 said that it would launch a new initiative dubbed the "Self Service Repair" program, which would allow consumers to buy first-party repair tools, parts, manuals, and more.

That announcement was unexpected, and represented Apple conceding some of its battles against right to repair. The iPhone maker is known to advocate against right to repair legislation, spending millions on lobbying to stop potential laws at the state level.

However, as of March 2022, Apple has yet to begin selling any repair parts or providing additional details about its Self Service Repair Program. In other words, it's been five months of radio silence on the endeavor.

We've been reaching out monthly to ask about it, and we've not even had a response saying "no comment."

When the company announced its program, it said it would launch in "early 2022." Initially, parts for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 13 would be available.

Apple probably hasn't changed its mind, of course. But the company is running out of time to hit its "early 2022" timeframe.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    I think it’s safe to say that Apple has terrible PR.  They don’t want to communicate for the most time.
    lkruppronnelijahgneoncatdarkvaderwatto_cobraindieshackgrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Probably have a higher chance of hearing about a new self repair program launched for the Zune before hearing any follow up from Apple.
    ronnelijahgdarkvaderwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 27
    LOL...you get one option: iFixit. What happened to all the "competition" stuff? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Making it sound like google phones fix themselves
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Lol. As the title of the article says, it is one more than what Apple provides (zero). And that one option provided is a pretty good one with a good reputation. Not a bad place to be in, as far as Google is concerned.
    elijahgdarkvadergrandact73
  • Reply 6 of 27
    ronnronn Posts: 661member
    "Apple probably hasn't changed its mind, of course. But the company is running out of time to hit its "early 2022" timeframe."

No, it's already April. They ran out of time as we're already in the 2nd quarter of 2022 with nothing beyond that lousy announcement. Like someone else said, Apple has terrible PR. Why even make an announcement when you have nothing to show. No outline. No timeframe. Nada!
    edited April 2022 elijahg
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Lol. As the title of the article says, it is one more than what Apple provides (zero). And that one option provided is a pretty good one with a good reputation. Not a bad place to be in, as far as Google is concerned.
    It's zero right now. But it would be more than one when launched. The criticism has a limited shelf life. And iFixit themselves may have a limited shelf life too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    ravnorodomravnorodom Posts: 698member
    Apple shouldn't be bothered with self-repair program. Their tools probably costs more than just getting a promotional iPhone from carrier or visiting Genius Bar.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,729member
    If you have no aspiration on quality from the getgo, then obviously you will have no issues to let anyone fiddle around with your gear.  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,899member
    Now that iFixIt has a direct commercial interest in these programs as a vendor, they probably shouldn't keep being interviewed & quoted like some sort of industry observer by media outlets covering this topic. One can hope.
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 11 of 27
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    So a monopoly then.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    mcdave said:
    So a monopoly then.
    Interesting use of the word.  So iFixIt can have a monopoly of parts for Google phones, despite the fact that those are parts like cameras and screens, of which there are many, many others available for many other phones.  That logic suggests that there is truth in claims that Apple have a monopoly on selling iOS apps.

If you can have a local monopoly on parts for a particular phone then surely you can have a local monopoly on apps for a particular phone/OS.
    elijahgK!llSwitchmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 13 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Now that iFixIt has a direct commercial interest in these programs as a vendor, they probably shouldn't keep being interviewed & quoted like some sort of industry observer by media outlets covering this topic. One can hope.
    Why not?  They're still relative experts in their field.  They should possibly have a disclaimer for their commercial interests, but it doesn't mean their opinions are any less valid.
    elijahgK!llSwitch
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I agree and Apple shouldn’t be either.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    mcdave said:
    So a monopoly then.
    More of a duopoly. I assume you can still send it back directly to the manufacturer. Or actually just on the parts and not the service.
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 16 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,253member
    mcdave said:
    So a monopoly then.
    There's also a long-time agreement between Google and iBreakUfix for repairs. I'm not certain if they'll sell parts alone or only as part of a repair they do. I thought that batteries could be purchased, perhaps screens too, but I'd have to call and confirm. 
    darkvadermuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 27
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 152member
    DuhSesame said:
    I think it’s safe to say that Apple has terrible PR.  They don’t want to communicate for the most time.
    They don't need to when people are so busy White Knight-ing here and elsewhere. Because that's what a $2T company needs: Free help defending itself on the internet. 
    bala1234darkvaderK!llSwitch
  • Reply 18 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,599member
    Clearly Apple's self-repair program is designed to be more hands off than Google's. "You want to fix your iDevice? Go for it and good futicking luck."
  • Reply 19 of 27
    XedXed Posts: 2,599member
    neoncat said:
    DuhSesame said:
    They don't need to when people are so busy White Knight-ing here and elsewhere. Because that's what a $2T company needs: Free help defending itself on the internet. 
    If I say that Google, for example, did something good by getting this self-repair program ready for consumers that isn't "White Knighting", as you put it, simply because it I say something in defense of the company that I think is valid. I guess what I'm really trying to say is don't for a fucking idiot and drop your stupid phraseology.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,062member
    gatorguy said:
    mcdave said:
    So a monopoly then.
    There's also a long-time agreement between Google and iBreakUfix for repairs. I'm not certain if they'll sell parts alone or only as part of a repair they do. I thought that batteries could be purchased, perhaps screens too, but I'd have to call and confirm. 
    I believe that iBreakUfix is an authorize repair service for HTC phones. At least a couple of years ago (and the one here in CA), when a friend with an HTC (that was still under warranty) had a flickering screen, she called the customer support phone number and they directed her to a nearby iBreakUfix service center for the repair work. Not only is the current Pixel made by HTC, Google owns a big chunk of HTC.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/16949366/google-htc-smartphone-pixel-design-team-deal-closed