Cruise Missle has a G4 apple processor!!!!

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

They don't really use GPS like you think anymore. They have realtime ground mapping with another system now. That's why GPS went into public domain. The new system can render the ground in 3d realtime and pass many other forms of information. I forget the name of this new system can somebody refresh my memory.

Wow

I knew GPS improved but was not aware of a complete redesign of this extent. This means that our missles can actually "see" and fly between bbuildings and trees.

Since it is not public domain are we the only ones with this technology?
  • Reply 42 of 51
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 43 of 51
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    What I want to know then AirSluf, is what's it like in the SR-71 Blackbird...which is an aircraft that was built around 1958. Did this wild stab in the dark hit anything?

• Reply 44 of 51
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    All the NASA chips have to be extensively evaluated, for about 9 years, before they are trusted enought to be inserted into orbiting vehicles.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Just another strange fact, military grade 741 opamps are held to a much higher tolerance than th. consumer versions. . . . The consumer versions have an open loop gain of about 200,000, but the military ones only 50,000.

And as for analog circuits, toss in some potentiometers and then you can adjust to airframe changes. I bet the SR-71 used an analog computer. . . The Apollo lander and control modules had analog computers.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Just another strange fact, military grade 741 opamps are held to a much higher tolerance than th. consumer versions. . . . The consumer versions have an open loop gain of about 200,000, but the military ones only 50,000.

Wow!!!

What does this mean in simple english
  • Reply 47 of 51
  • Reply 48 of 51
  • Reply 49 of 51
    I can confirm a lot of what AirSluf has said- although my experience is not from the 'using' more so than the 'designing'.

the only correction (addition?) i'd make is that the time to use varies highly. For instance, some technologies might see use within 1-2 years of being designed (i've seen this). Others could be 10-12. So the processors in some weapons we have are not as old as many might think, and some weapons being designed will be in use far sooner than 10-12 years. But then again, you gotta understand that these weapons wont be the majority.. ie they arent the kind you see the specs for on cnn.

as far as the ppc chips' use in missiles goes though, i can say that there are systems in weapons being designed that use it. I've seen 4 "altivecs" (-as the comp guys call them) in one instance. I didnt know they could be used in the way they were.. I'm not that familiar with those chips though .. so I dunno.

But the chips are very good from what I hear and they are actually needed, a lot. so dont be surprised when you hear about the processing power of these weapons.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Wow!!!

What does this mean in simple english

The military ones seem to have thicker gate oxides and generally more robust transistors. Hence more durable, but less performing.

(Amps have a theoretically infinite open loop gain. Gain is the output voltage over the input voltage)
  • Reply 51 of 51
    thanks