It's time for Apple to revisit these iconic products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    sandorsandor Posts: 665member
    Still use Airport Express' for Airplay - not even Sonos has been able to make whole house audio as easy or inexpensive.

And the last version of the Airport Extremes are still the absolutely best network Time Machine devices i have found.
    We have 3 wired up on our corporate LAN & they easily handle 50+ devices (each TimeMachine has a 30+ TB USB RAID array plugged into it, specifically for Time Machine)
    h4y3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    YP101YP101 Posts: 172member
    If Apple really think about renewable energy usage, then magic mouse should use removable battery.
    Otherwise charging port should be replace with chi charging method. Why bother to give charge cable?

iPod touch is long gone.. No need new product. It should be kill it now.

Wifi router and time machine is questionable.
    Router can be bring back due to average wifi6 and 6e price tag. Time machine is I don't know unless Apple try to double the size iCloud with same price tag.
    Local time machine is good idea but AS issue might be Apple does not want to produce physical product.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,331member
    I would also like a mouse with two mouse buttons that do “clickediclack” - aka tactical feedback. This can be mechanical or similar to the touchpad (which is an amazing thing no single competitor has been able to replicate)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    thttht Posts: 5,616member
    YP101 said:
    If Apple really think about renewable energy usage, then magic mouse should use removable battery.
    Otherwise charging port should be replace with chi charging method. Why bother to give charge cable?
    The minimal amount of energy usage would simply be a wired mouse. If a mouse is to be wireless, they could do a number of things that could trickle charge a battery and or capacitor in it: solar cells, mechanical buttons that can convert mechanical button presses to electrical, same thing with a scroll wheel. If they can extract enough energy, they wouldn't even need a battery. But Apple devotes very little resources to their peripherals. They are like side projects for their interns.

A replaceable battery is basically the worst thing you can due in terms of energy usage and environmental impacts.

I think an iPod would be an interesting product to bring back. It's definitely iconic. A modern rendition of a handheld dedicated music player could feature a high impedance headphone port, lossless audio, terabyte capacity, a UI dedicated to going through music oriented category structures (artist, album, type of music, date, etc). Not sure if there is anything better than a single column Miller-column browser UI design like the iPod, but it's been a while in the music app space where something different has been really tried.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,140member
    sandor said:
    Per Magic Mouse, the lightning charging port is in the same location as the catch that provided access to the removable batteries in the other model. Makes sense from a design and manufacturing standpoint. Keeping it there would mean minimal internal layout changes. Also, it only takes 2-3 minutes to provide 8 hours of charge when new.
    Which doesn't make it any less ridiculous from an end-user perspective.

Keyboard - port is right there on the back center, easy to charge & use.
    Mouse - you have to stop working to charge it.

Home use, not a big deal, maybe.
    At the office?
    We keep a wired mouse to pass around for people whose mouse battery dies during the day.  :(
    Hilariously, asking "who has the wired mouse," finding who has it, going to get it from whoever has it, returning to your desk and plugging it in takes longer than it does to just plug in a wireless mouse for the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to charge it enough to use for the rest of the day. 
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    lkrupp said:
    I have never had an issue with the Magic Mouse charging port and I’ve been using one for years now. A full charge lasts weeks and when it’s getting low I plug it in before retiring for the night. I’ve never had the need to charge while using a mouse, ever. Perhaps I’m better able to adapt to things than simply ranting and raving because I don't like something.

And I’ve never had a Lightning cable break on me either.

They’re excuses for iKnockoff morons to complain about Apple.

it’s a TERRIBLE idea to put the charging port in a spot that allows you to use it while charging. My friend used the keyboard that way thinking it had to be plugged in.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    lkrupp said:
    I have never had an issue with the Magic Mouse charging port and I’ve been using one for years now. A full charge lasts weeks and when it’s getting low I plug it in before retiring for the night. I’ve never had the need to charge while using a mouse, ever. Perhaps I’m better able to adapt to things than simply ranting and raving because I don't like something.

it’s a TERRIBLE idea to put the charging port in a spot that allows you to use it while charging. My friend used the keyboard that way thinking it had to be plugged in.
    You say it's terrible and that's the best reason you can give, that your friend is an idiot?
    sandorlkruppmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 43
    AppleZulu said:
    sandor said:
    Per Magic Mouse, the lightning charging port is in the same location as the catch that provided access to the removable batteries in the other model. Makes sense from a design and manufacturing standpoint. Keeping it there would mean minimal internal layout changes. Also, it only takes 2-3 minutes to provide 8 hours of charge when new.

At the office?
    We keep a wired mouse to pass around for people whose mouse battery dies during the day.  :(
    Hilariously, asking "who has the wired mouse," finding who has it, going to get it from whoever has it, returning to your desk and plugging it in takes longer than it does to just plug in a wireless mouse for the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to charge it enough to use for the rest of the day. 
    Try telling the boss "I cannot do it because my mouse is dead."

Sorry, even 2-3 minutes in our work environment is monumental. 

And your time frame for recovery is ridiculously slow.
    The same as any of our peripherals or systems that are mission critical, we keep the backups close by, organized & known to end users. 
    It is not running around the office, rather simply reaching behind you to the pod's shelf & grabbing the mouse & plugging it in. 

To be honest, this started a few OS versions ago when our iMacs would randomly drop all bluetooth connectivity.
    Bluetooth could only be restored with a restart.

• Reply 29 of 43
    A revolutionary iPod Nano would be a new category. The future “media” pocket device.

I’ve wanted this for years and had a huge feature list. Some of them were:

A14 chip

4x4” square screen

FaceID in bezel

iPodOS (mini versions of games and apps)

8MP outer camera for ARKit

MagSafe charging, no lightning port

MagSafe accessories

Taptic Engine

64GB $199

128GB $299

Would be a hit for kids at Christmas time and could launch a new era of mobile gaming.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 43
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    lkrupp said:

You say it's terrible and that's the best reason you can give, that your friend is an idiot?

“Terrible” is opposite of good.

My friend is not an idiot for using an obvious function. By that logic the designers at Apple are also idiots since they agree it’s dumb to put a hole in front of the mouse. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    In addition the Magic Mouse goes inert when it is plugged in. You can’t even plug it in and then try to kludge along and get something done. Plug it in it is dead.

Doubly stupid.

I hate the MM. Even when it is charged and connected, it’s a twitchy, finicky POS. Another in a long line of Apple POS mice.
    How stupid is it to let a rechargeable device get so low on charge that it quits in the middle of something? That’s the stupid part.
    edited April 2022 thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    sandor said:

At the office?
    They can’t keep a spare battery in their desk lap drawer? Sure sounds like an office full of dumb asses to me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 43
    AppleZulu said:
    If they update the Magic Mouse, I hope they make it compatible with the iPhone's Magsafe charger and don't acquiesce to the asinine demands that the lightning connector be moved from the bottom of the mouse. It's a wireless mouse. It takes very little time to charge it up. It doesn't need to plug in and act like a wired mouse. That defeats the point of it being a wireless mouse. Apple put the connector on the bottom on purpose specifically to keep people from leaving it plugged in as if it was a wired mouse.

So why is the port on the wireless keyboard situated to allow use while charging?  Per your logic the port should be on the bottom on purpose to keep people from leaving it plugged in as if it were a wired keyboard.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Beats said:
    crowley said:
    Beats said:
    lkrupp said:

“Terrible” is opposite of good.

My friend is not an idiot for using an obvious function. By that logic the designers at Apple are also idiots since they agree it’s dumb to put a hole in front of the mouse. 
    The keyboard and trackpad also have a "hole" in them.  If the designers at Apple aren't idiots then they're at best inconsistent.

Your friend is an idiot for buying a wireless keyboard and thinking it needed a wire to work.

I'm aware of what terrible means.  I'm not aware of why you think a charging port on the mouse that would allow you to use it while charging is a terrible idea, apart from that idiots might get confused.  
  • Reply 35 of 43
    How about an updated Xserve?

Let the negativity commence!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 43
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,972member
    lkrupp said:
    DAalseth said:
    In addition the Magic Mouse goes inert when it is plugged in. You can’t even plug it in and then try to kludge along and get something done. Plug it in it is dead.

Doubly stupid.

I hate the MM. Even when it is charged and connected, it’s a twitchy, finicky POS. Another in a long line of Apple POS mice.
    How stupid is it to let a rechargeable device get so low on charge that it quits in the middle of something? That’s the stupid part.
    There is no one that uses a battery powered phone, mouse, keyboard, computer, tablet, radio, or whatever that hasn’t been surprised when they suddenly die when they thought there was charge left. Anyone that says it hasn’t happened to them is not telling the truth. 
    muthuk_vanalingambobolicious
  • Reply 37 of 43
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,972member
    DAalseth said:

Never understood all the hate. It’s simply the best mouse I’ve ever used, supporting smooth scrolling side-to-side, plus gestures without the need for a bunch of cumbersome and unsightly buttons.

I switched from the battery powered version to the rechargeable version when it came out and use it every day. I have another that lives in my backpack for when I travel. Never once have I ever been inconvenienced by the charging port living on its underside.

To each their own, but I love the MM, just as I liked the Mighty Mouse before it.
    Setting aside the charging question, I just really hate the mouse. I don’t like the feel of it, it’s too slick, it’s too flat for my hand. I find it twitchy, the curser moves too quickly, it’s twitchy and hard to point accurately. Yes I know I can adjust the speed in macOS but that just makes it slow, but twitchy, a weird combination. I prefer a track WHEEL, not the kinda touch pad on the top that I find doesn’t work well and is not accurate. 

Even if the plug were on the side and it worked when it was plugged in, like just about every other wireless mouse I’ve tried, I would still hate the MM.
    OctoMonkey
  • Reply 38 of 43
    DAalseth said:
    DAalseth said:

Never understood all the hate. It’s simply the best mouse I’ve ever used, supporting smooth scrolling side-to-side, plus gestures without the need for a bunch of cumbersome and unsightly buttons.

I switched from the battery powered version to the rechargeable version when it came out and use it every day. I have another that lives in my backpack for when I travel. Never once have I ever been inconvenienced by the charging port living on its underside.

To each their own, but I love the MM, just as I liked the Mighty Mouse before it.
    Setting aside the charging question, I just really hate the mouse. I don’t like the feel of it, it’s too slick, it’s too flat for my hand. I find it twitchy, the curser moves too quickly, it’s twitchy and hard to point accurately. Yes I know I can adjust the speed in macOS but that just makes it slow, but twitchy, a weird combination. I prefer a track WHEEL, not the kinda touch pad on the top that I find doesn’t work well and is not accurate. 

Even if the plug were on the side and it worked when it was plugged in, like just about every other wireless mouse I’ve tried, I would still hate the MM.
    Agreed!  The "magic" mouse is yet another sterling example of Apple and their fascination with form over function.

I really tried to like it, but after a couple years of struggling went back to a wired mouse with a genuine scroll wheel.  No more issues, period!

That said...
    If you like it, great!
    If it works for you, fantastic!
    To each their own.  :-)
    edited April 2022 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 43
    lkrupp said:
    sandor said:

At the office?
    They can’t keep a spare battery in their desk lap drawer? Sure sounds like an office full of dumb asses to me.
    With the old Apple mouse (which we have in circulation) we do exactly this. 
    We still use our AA rechargeables & have a few 16 battery chargers.

The new Magic Mouse has a built-in non-user serviceable battery.
    A battery in your drawer is useless.

The dumbass is the one trying to take apart a Magic Mouse to change the battery  :s
    edited April 2022 muthuk_vanalingambobolicious
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Bring back the functions of Apple Server- when you bring back the Airport.
    Time Machine for the network- a disaster.
    No more local IM set up easily.
    No easy Wiki.
    No easy VPN.
    File sharing has gone to shit.
    Using Apple Business Manager is a major pain in the ass.
    Deploying apps- PITA.
    And for gods sake- ditch the worthless font manager - and get a network font manager that works.
    sandor