At least nine Macs with M2 Apple Silicon chips are reportedly in development

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,540member
    Literally can’t wait for these. 

Very curious to discover the basis for the M2 - whether A15 or A16 - and the corresponding architecture improvements. 

Apple obviously did not feel the current M1 Ultra, as ridiculously powerful as it is, was worthy of Mac Pro or even high end iMac status. But it’s coming with M2. Intel is redlining to compete snd the M2 is coming. If Apple improves the GPU architecture by a noticeable amount, it’s going to be nuclear. 

Would love to see power consumption in the Mac Pro be elevated and GHZ ratings elevated. Let the thing eat. 
    If true that it's using 4nm process (https://www.macrumors.com/2022/03/10/m2-macs-with-tsmc-4nm-process/) then most likely A16. That also makes sense timing-wise and effort-wise. 
  • Reply 22 of 37
    I’ll admit I’m still holding my breath — there’s a non-zero chance the Max (and everything based on it) could skip generations of the M-series, so the next would be M3 Max. So basically the base M-series would keep a 12- or 18-month pace, but the heavyweight Pro SoCs would be on a two- or three-year cycle. 

The key is how the A-series and the intense pressure of that annual cycle relate to the M-series. There’s a lot that remains to be seen. At this point we’re still just hoping that the M1 transition is indicative of the pace of what is to come…
  • Reply 23 of 37
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,315member
    The entire Mac line up with the new M1 chips should have been released a year ago they were all done, the M2 top to bottom is finish now, the design hardware/software engineers are now working on the M3-M4 generation they are at least 2 years ahead….

Marketing is the only reason for this lethargic release schedule, in short the entire M1 series was done finished when Tim Cook announce it.
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 24 of 37
    XedXed Posts: 2,836member
    danox said:
    The entire Mac line up with the new M1 chips should have been released a year ago they were all done, the M2 top to bottom is finish now, the design hardware/software engineers are now working on the M3-M4 generation they are at least 2 years ahead….

Marketing is the only reason for this lethargic release schedule, in short the entire M1 series was done finished when Tim Cook announce it.
    I might have a degree in business and marketing but why don’t you explain to me how it’s more profitable for Apple to sit on a competent finished, year old design that they’d have no trouble bringing to market at scale. I’m curious to get your take on how not shipping completed products you’ve spent millions (possibly billions) investing in a break-neck market that only rewards those that are best in show is good for business.

After that, tell us how the Studio Display, which is a peripheral for the Mac line up, shipped with a very egregious FaceTime camera issue if these machines were “all done a year ago” and just sitting in a shelf collecting dust.
    DAalsethargonautmike1
  • Reply 25 of 37
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,540member
    danox said:

I think global supply chain constraints due to Covid is the more likely explanation.

if we ever get back to ‘normal’ then I think we will see all Macs refreshed every 18 months or so.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    > Apple's new M2 chip may be closer than ever.

Duh.

A week ago, it wasn't as close. A week from now, it will be even closer. The more time goes by, the closer it gets. Talk about burying the lead... You know what else? We're all are closer to dying than we've ever been. 
  • Reply 27 of 37
    blastdoor said:
    danox said:

I think global supply chain constraints due to Covid is the more likely explanation.

if we ever get back to ‘normal’ then I think we will see all Macs refreshed every 18 months or so.

The last transition to Intel CPU’s Apple took 13 months beginning to end they were more motivated (hungry) then, and all the heavy lifting was done when Steve Jobs first announced it and Apple didn’t waste anytime focusing and executing.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Xed said:
    danox said:

I might have a degree in business and marketing but why don’t you explain to me how it’s more profitable for Apple to sit on a competent finished, year old design that they’d have no trouble bringing to market at scale. I’m curious to get your take on how not shipping completed products you’ve spent millions (possibly billions) investing in a break-neck market that only rewards those that are best in show is good for business.

After that, tell us how the Studio Display, which is a peripheral for the Mac line up, shipped with a very egregious FaceTime camera issue if these machines were “all done a year ago” and just sitting in a shelf collecting dust.

Current Apple is a Gemini company in hardware and software two steps forward one step back, Apple curated monitors have always been better, the same applies to routers maybe the lack of tech focus is trying to make low margin unprofitable (for Apple) content.

In the future you will know Apple maybe done when a parasitic MBA, Accounting, or Marketing type sits at the top, however we shall/will see at the next developers conference, the Gemini Apple will continue with the inability to build a complete useful desktop (without taking it completely apart), no server, or router just excuses like that laptop keyboard.

M2 is ready but parasitic sales and marketing isn’t, their product release plan is off. Fall is coming and the M2’s are done, but the Mac Pro hasn’t been released yet.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:

Current Apple is a Gemini company in hardware and software two steps forward one step back, Apple curated monitors have always been better, the same applies to routers maybe the lack of tech focus is trying to make low margin unprofitable (for Apple) content.

In the future you will know Apple maybe done when a parasitic MBA, Accounting, or Marketing type sits at the top, however we shall/will see at the next developers conference, the Gemini Apple will continue with the inability to build a complete useful desktop (without taking it completely apart), no server, or router just excuses like that laptop keyboard.

M2 is ready but parasitic sales and marketing isn’t, their product release plan is off. Fall is coming and the M2’s are done, but the Mac Pro hasn’t been released yet.
    Again, if you have proof that there are several million M2 Macs on shelves in warehouse ready to be sold to consumers then provide some proof.
    edited April 2022 fastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Xed said:
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:

Again, if you have proof that there are several million M2 Macs on shelves in warehouse ready to be sold to consumers then provide some proof.
    The actual design of the M2 chip is done anything released in the fall or next spring the lead times are at least 2 years out to get to that point and half that time is a marketing decision as to when to release to the public. The design team is already working on M3 and M4’s.
    edited April 2022 spheric
  • Reply 31 of 37
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:

Again, if you have proof that there are several million M2 Macs on shelves in warehouse ready to be sold to consumers then provide some fucking proof. If you can't, then shut the fuck up or stop making shit up.
    The actual design of the M2 chip is done anything released in the fall or next spring the lead times are at least 2 years out to get to that point and half that time is a marketing decision as to when to release to the public. The design team is already working on M3 and M4’s.
    The design is done, but they don't sell the design. They also don't sell just the chip. They sell complete Macs. You've claimed that these complete Macs are completely done yet you have provided no proof of this. I've tried to walk you through the basic steps to market since you aren't able to do so yourself, but instead you lash out when shown the light.
    edited April 2022 fastasleepmike1
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:

The M2 chip may be done, but the surrounding hardware is not sitting in a warehouse looking for buyers and waiting for a launch. The old Apple pre- second arrival of Jobs did this all the time, and almost died for it.

Look up "just in time manufacturing."
    edited April 2022 Xedsphericargonautfastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 37
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:

The M2 chip may be done, but the surrounding hardware is not sitting in a warehouse looking for buyers and waiting for a launch. The old Apple pre- second arrival of Jobs did this all the time, and almost died for it.

And look how just time is not working try and find any high end car there is nothing on the lot, just in time is like spending beyond your means not saving and not investing.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    danox said:
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:

And look how just time is not working try and find any high end car there is nothing on the lot, just in time is like spending beyond your means not saving and not investing.
    Apple are responsible for high end car manufacturing now?
  • Reply 35 of 37
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,161member
    DAalseth said:
    simply258 said:
    There is absolutely no excuse for not having an updated chip in Mac Mini already.
    I’ve read multiple places that it looks like the M series chips are running on an 18 month cycle between generations. There’s the excuse. 
    That's merely speculation since we still haven't seen the second generation.

It's highly probable that major M-series SoCs will debut with a new version of macOS. Steve referred to Apple as a software company first that wrote software that runs best on its proprietary hardware. We've already seen Apple stick to releasing new A-series SoCs with the new iOS software release.

I'm guessing that Apple will use a two-year tick-tock release schedule for M-series SoCs. M_ and M_ Pro together with a new macOS in the fall (Year 1). M_ Max and M_ Ultra the following year (Year 2). I'm not convinced that Apple can release all four variants in a twelve month cycle but I would love to be proven wrong.

It's important to note that Apple prototypes far more designs than it releases. Having "at least nine Macs" in development doesn't mean that they will launch all at the same time.

However we can be reasonably assured that Apple is developing successors for most of the existing product line. It's not like they launch a product then mull about whether or not they should build a followup. They have long term product roadmaps.

We also know that Apple has no qualms in discontinuing products that are still generate revenue and good gross margins: iPod (shuffle & nano), original full-size HomePod, iMac Pro, MacBook 12" (the super thin one from 2017).
    edited April 2022
  • Reply 36 of 37
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,419member
    simply258 said:
    There is absolutely no excuse for not having an updated chip in Mac Mini already.

Oh, please. They just finished releasing the last of the M1 variants. As everyone else is also presuming, the M2 chips will start to roll out this year. An 18-month cycle is pretty darn reasonable and expected. I guess Apple owes you an apology for not delivering to your imaginary timeline.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 37
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,419member
    crowley said:
    danox said:
    danox said:
    Xed said:
    danox said:

Apple are responsible for high end car manufacturing now?

Why is everybody still acknowledging his comments?
    fastasleep