No, Apple Music isn't pushing Spotify out of the iPhone dock on purpose

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2022
An iOS developer claims Apple Music is bumping competitor Spotify from the dock on install -- but it isn't targeting competitors, and even Apple says that it's a bug.

The Apple Music app will always install in the dock thanks to an iOS programming quirk
The Apple Music app will always install in the dock thanks to an iOS programming quirk

Developer Kevin Archer has shared a video showing the Apple Music app bumping Spotify from the iPhone dock upon installation.

While this occurrence seems to show Apple somehow promoting Apple Music over Spotify, Archer says this occurs when any third-party app is in the fourth slot in the dock. He also states that first-party apps like Apple's Camera app won't be bumped off.

AppleInsider tested this and reinstalled default apps will reinstall where Apple thinks they should go, by default. We found that any app sitting in that default slot will be bumped from the dock in favor of Apple Music regardless of who it is made by. Even Apple's apps will get bumped out of that place.

To further test the scenario, we loaded the dock with Spotify, Amazon Music, Tidal, and Photos. On reinstall, Apple Music bumped Photos, because it was in the slot that Apple Music "should" occupy.

When an iPhone is set up for the first time, it comes with a set of pre-installed apps, and four are automatically set to the dock.

Apple gives users the ability to delete default apps like Apple Music if they aren't in use. If a user wants to reinstall the app later, the apps are available from the App Store.

Seems like if you download the Apple Music app from App Store, it will automatically appear on your device (iPhone) dock, more than this, it will change any other 3d party app with the Music app. If on your dock, you only have Apple apps it won't do anything. pic.twitter.com/c0pkO9G2pq

-- Kevin Archer (@IM_Kevin_Archer)

Apps, however, tend to try and install in a pre-configured location -- especially default apps. Since the Apple Music app comes preinstalled in the right-most dock slot, it will always install in that location, no matter what app is present.

Third-party apps do attempt to reinstall in previously-configured locations on the Home Screen, but never the dock since those default apps are locked into the dock by the OS at install. This seems to result from a programming quirk more than an attempt to push its own apps above third-party ones.

While the behavior isn't preferred, and we'd rather apps install themselves in locations outside the dock, it isn't fighting off competitors like the Twitter claims say that they are.

Apple has reached out to AppleInsider and states that the behavior is a bug and will be looking into it.

Antitrust complaints from regulators, users, and developers have kept Apple in an actively defensive position surrounding iOS and its App Store. The company claims that every developer is treated the same with open and transparent rules.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    What!?! Someone on Twitter made an unfounded accusation based on a misunderstanding? I’m shocked, SHOCKED I tell you.

/s /s /s
    thtBeatsviclauyyclolliverAlex1Nmac daddy zeeCluntBaby92lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dantheman827dantheman827 Posts: 117member
    Why is Apple setting default positions for their apps in the first place?

If I install an app, I don't want it to move stuff around on my home screen, it can just put itself on the next free spot like every other app I install.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

If I install an app, I don't want it to move stuff around on my home screen, it can just put itself on the next free spot like every other app I install.
    We agree.
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 13
    meterestnzmeterestnz Posts: 73member
    I Find that claim interesting, as I have never had Apple Music in the default position since day one when I bumped it From my first iPhone, series 3s. As my needs have changed I have moved various prime Apps onto the dock and none have ever jumped back and I even used only three spots for a while. I can’t be bothered trying it out, but it must be something to do with the current iOS and deleting and reinstalling music altogether from the phone. I’m not going to jinx myself by trying lol. Current 12pro max on the latest public beta
    edited May 2022 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Why do people think they own Apple?

Apple invented iPhone and iOS. They can do whatever they want. We should appreciate they even allow us to switch apps from the dock. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

It's probably the default position for Music with a vanilla iOS install.  Taking the steps of deleting Music then adding it back puts it back where it originally expected to go.  There has to be a default position, unless you want every iPhone to randomise apps on first boot.  That seems a little silly.    

I wouldn't even describe this as a bug, just a design oversight for an unusual use case.
    edited May 2022 Alex1NCluntBaby92watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Shh! Don't tell the EU. They will create another law that impacts only American companies.
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Shh! Don't tell the EU. They will create another law that impacts only American companies.

Apple has a monopoly on iPhone!!

can’t wait to hear Spotify cry this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    crowley said:

It's probably the default position for Music with a vanilla iOS install.  Taking the steps of deleting Music then adding it back puts it back where it originally expected to go.  There has to be a default position, unless you want every iPhone to randomise apps on first boot.  That seems a little silly.    

I wouldn't even describe this as a bug, just a design oversight for an unusual use case.
    This is the way I read it. Also worth noting that Apple has default behavior for installing third party apps as well. I guess the people want those randomly put in places as well?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    This is an example of the law of unintended consequences in software engineering.   You make a change but don’t fully recognize all the “intertwinedness” of the systems so that a change, like deleting “system” apps and reinstalling triggers stuff that you didn’t realize would happen so didn’t test for. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    Apple: it’s a “bug”. (Cuts response short to grab all the money falling from the sky). 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    crowley said:

The default position for a newly installed app could be the left side of the dock with the ones on the right moving to the right. The default position for pre-installed Apple apps (which is legally a grey area outside OS necessities) could be randomized, with only OS-level functions having a default position, such as the Finder. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:

The default position for a newly installed app could be the left side of the dock with the ones on the right moving to the right. The default position for pre-installed Apple apps (which is legally a grey area outside OS necessities) could be randomized, with only OS-level functions having a default position, such as the Finder. 
    Huh?  Just stick it in the next available position on the Springboard, as already happens for most apps.  Don't touch the Dock at all, that's for the user to manage.

No need for any randomisation or defaults at all, save for on an OS install/restore.
    DAalseth