Jony Ive reveals his 12 favorite design tools

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2022
As part of being guest editor on a UK magazine, ex-Apple design chief Jony Ive has detailed the dozen tools he finds indispensable, from a vintage leather pencil case, to $5,645 record player tonearm.

Jony Ive
Jony Ive

Jony Ive is the guest editor on a special issue of "How to Spend It" magazine, part of the UK's Financial Times. Describing it as an "issue about making," Ive talks with designers and craftspeople, as well as detailing his own favorite tools.

"Perhaps predictably," he writes in the full magazine, "this has become rather a personal issue of 'How to Spend It' as I have gathered together many of the people, objects, and places that I love."

Some of those design objects and tools are personal ones Ive has presumably used for many years. Where the tools are available to buy now, the magazine includes typical current prices.

It's not clear whether Ive has particularly sorted them into any order. The magazine just says that he has selected items "for making, for marking, for measuring, and carrying with you every day."

1. Torque wrench, $562 from UK firm Snap-On

2. Linn titanium Ekos SE tonearm, $5,645 from Basil Audio

3. Color-coded hex L-Key set, from $3.69 from Wiha

4. Paper folder from UK's H. Webber

5. Hermes leather In the Pocket measuring tape, $530

6. Vintage brass folding loupe

7. Montegrappa vintage fountain pen

8. Graf Von Faber-Castell platinum-plated eraser, $100 from Jackson's Art

9. Vintage leather pencil case by visvim

10. Mitutoyo 6in universal bevel protractor, $326

11. Starrett 440Z-3RL depth gauge micrometer, $355

12. Wempe Navigator II ship's clock and weather station, $1,960

Top: Linn titanium Ekos SE tonearm, $5,645 (Source: Basil Audio.) Bottom: leather In the Pocket measuring tape, $530 (source: Hermes)
Top: Linn titanium Ekos SE tonearm, $5,645 (Source: Basil Audio.) Bottom: leather In the Pocket measuring tape, $530 (source: Hermes)

Ive doesn't say anything at all about any of these tools. But in a separate article in the magazine, he does talk about how the tools we use are more than mere implements for getting a job done.

"There's a beauty and a joy in the machines and tools," he says. "They are no longer solely a means to an end. I think there's an inherent elegance in an effective tool that normally results in a curious beauty."

Ive also laments how "there was a time when we were able and motivated to maintain and look after products." He says that "beyond just buying something, we were caring for it, which is obviously better than recycling."

Separately, Apple has been showing off its iPhone recycling machine, Daisy, and also launched its promised self service repair program.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    IDK the whole thing strikes me as obnoxious. I respect the guy but he's from another era - a pre-covid era of slippery phones and billion dollar in-person workspaces
    williamhtyler82
  • Reply 2 of 18
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Was hoping this would list 12 tools he USES for design...preferably software, but hardware would have been fine too.
    williamhcornchiptmay
  • Reply 3 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,966member
    amar99 said:
    Was hoping this would list 12 tools he USES for design...preferably software, but hardware would have been fine too.
    I was also thinking it was twelve tools he uses to design things. I seriously doubt he designs things with a torque wrench or a pencil case. Perhapse the article should have been titled:

Jony Ive reveals his 12 favourite tools

That is the tools he loves the design of, and not suggest that he uses a weather station or tone arm in his design process.

It was what you'd expect from something called How To Spend It magazine. I mean a $530 pocket measuring tape? Give me a F****** break. The ones I have cost between $5 and $10 and function just as well. This is an article for those who have money coming out of their ***. 
    edited May 2022 cornchipAlex1Nzigzaglens
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Yowsers. The tonearm is more than double the combined cost of my Onkyo 7.1 receiver/speakers, 75-inch TV, turntable, dual cassette deck, Blu-ray player, and Apple TV 4K. I guess  it would probably make my vinyl last longer …
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 5 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yes, the items are his tools, not tools he designed.

And from the typical comments I suspect the authors would stand in front of a Jackson Pollock, scratch their heads, and wonder WTF, I can buy a velvet Elvis for $10 at the local flea market.
    Alex1Nmichelb76
  • Reply 6 of 18
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 286member
    A $530 measuring tape. How relatable.
    dk49crowleycornchipAI_lias
  • Reply 7 of 18
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 286member
    lkrupp said:

And from the typical comments I suspect the authors would stand in front of a Jackson Pollock, scratch their heads, and wonder WTF, I can buy a velvet Elvis for $10 at the local flea market.

There's a difference between art and excess. A Jackson Pollock is to be admired; a $530 tape measure is just plain ridiculous.
    StrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 8 of 18
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,130member
    Looks like Jony got taken for a ride. When I click the link for the torque wrench it says it’s $399. Maybe it’s that Apple Tax I keep hearing about. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 18
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,966member
    lkrupp said:

Not necessarily. My dad had one of those Snap-On torque wrenches. It was a beautiful piece of equipment, an elegantly simple design that he used in his work as a mechanic. I appreciate it, heck I can appreciate the design of most of these things. My gripe is the implication that these are tools Ive either uses or designed, neither of which is true. It's just stuff he likes. That said some of them are just conspicuous consumption. The $530 tape measure, is just stupid, but that's my opinion of MOST Hermes things. In this case you ask a carpenter or furniture maker if they want a leather covered tape and they will look at you like you were nuts. It would soak up water, glues, solvents, and everything else someone who actually used it in their job deals with and become a jammed up piece of junk. 
    Alex1Nmarcotor949AI_lias
  • Reply 10 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Good tools are expensive, and a good craftsperson will appreciate their worth.

And then there's $530 Hermès measuring tapes.
    cornchipdewmemuthuk_vanalingamAlex1Ntyler82
  • Reply 11 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,670member
    The very first things I bought for myself when I finally had a little discretionary cash of my own were tools, so I have a lot of respect for people like Jony who understand the value in owning decent tools. Kind of surprised he didn't list a high end set of calipers, micrometers, or similar precision measurement tools.

Of course my limited discretionary cash supply pointed me primarily to Sears Craftsman tools with their lifetime replacement warranty and a few SK and Snap-On tools, not the fancy pants stuff Jony can afford. But no big deal. I still have every tool I've purchased since high school until now and the Craftsman lifetime warranty has come in handy for their highly problematic 1/2" ratchet wrenches a couple of times. 

Yeah, some of those tools that Jony listed are really crazy money-is-no-object or fashion pieces. I think I'll just keep toughing it out by having to use my finger as a folding tool, rather than the "bent bone folders" that Jony uses. Those must be made either from Unicorn rib bones or maybe a shin bone from the Elephant Man.
    Alex1N
  • Reply 12 of 18
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,108member
    Obnoxious.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 13 of 18
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 436member
    What a pretentious idiot. Apple’s lucky to not have him anymore. But it explains a lot about Apple’s design miscues before he left. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    lkrupp said:

Spoken like a true pretentious ass. Nothing wrong with loving form over function, but to call yourself superior for your marvelous taste and then also call out others for not appreciating things is the very definition of pretentious asshole.
    muthuk_vanalingamcrowleyAI_lias
  • Reply 15 of 18
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    All I ask is that a tool do the job it's designed for, and last as long as possible while retaining its original form and function.
    The design appearance ranks at least 3rd in priority, if not lower.
    edited May 2022
  • Reply 16 of 18
    crowley said:
    Good tools are expensive, and a good craftsperson will appreciate their worth.

And then there's $530 Hermès measuring tapes.
    But, boy, can it measure!
    cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 18
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    LOL anyone remember the interior shots of Ive's home? The interior decorating? Atrocious. The dude dresses like a slob. I've never understood his personal taste, which seems like a complete 180 from his product design ideals. Same goes for some of these items, especially the stupid tape measure. It's very bizarre stuff. 
  • Reply 18 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    LOL anyone remember the interior shots of Ive's home? The interior decorating? Atrocious. The dude dresses like a slob. I've never understood his personal taste, which seems like a complete 180 from his product design ideals. Same goes for some of these items, especially the stupid tape measure. It's very bizarre stuff. 
    I bet his clothes don't have any pockets.