Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 141 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Apple CEO Ducks Questions on Music Strategy

Thu April 24, 2003 03:57 PM ET

By Duncan Martell

CUPERTINO, Calif. (Reuters) - Steve Jobs, chairman and chief executive of Apple Computer Inc. AAPL.O , declined to comment on its forthcoming online music service and its reported talks to buy Vivendi's Universal Music label at the computer maker's annual shareholder meeting on Thursday.

"There have been a lot of rumors in the last few weeks," Jobs said in response to a shareholder question. "Many of them are not true and some of them are true."

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, is readying to launch an online music service, which will allow for users to buy single songs from a deep catalog, record industry sources have told Reuters. The service has already won the praise of some record executives who see it as a potentially powerful weapon against online privacy.

In a further confirmation, Apple sent invitations earlier this week to reporters to an event in San Francisco on Monday, noting that it would be "music to your ears."

Asked by one shareholder if Apple were indeed going to launch such a service, Jobs responded: "You'd think so if you haven't been asleep the last two weeks."

"We really can't talk about unannounced products," he said later, in response to a question regarding the Vivendi V.N EAUG.PA> talks about Universal Music Group, home to acts such as Eminem and U2.

Jobs last week denied Apple had made a bid for Vivendi's Universal Music Group record label, but he did not clearly deny that the two parties were in acquisition talks.

Apple, under the direction of Jobs, has been pitching Apple computers as the "digital hub" of a digital lifestyle, and analysts said an acquisition of Universal assets, plus Apple's own online music service due as soon as next week, are an obvious extension of that strategy.

Apple has made digital entertainment, with its iTunes and iMovie editing and recording software, central to its strategy. The company did not Webcast its annual meeting.

In response to a question about when Apple may return to the days of paying a 10-cent to 12-cent a share dividend, Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson said that unless the U.S. Congress acts to cut taxes on shareholder dividends, an increased dividend would be among "the least effective ways" to return money to shareholders.

Apple had $4.53 billion in cash, cash equivalents and short-term investments on its balance sheet at the end of the most recent quarter.

Earlier this month, Apple reported net income that fell 65 percent from a year ago as revenue was little changed, but hit its own revenue target and profits were at the high end of Wall Street's expectation.

Jobs, in his concluding comments, said that morale at Apple is "very high," adding that, "I have never seen folks at Apple work as hard as they are now."

"I think we are leading this industry in innovation," Jobs said.

"Hopefully things will start to turn around at some point," Jobs said, referring to the weak economy and slack demand for computers and high-technology products in general.

Shares of Apple fell 15 cents to $13.43 in late trading on the Nasdaq.
  • Reply 142 of 252
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Quote:

asked by one shareholder if Apple were indeed going to launch such a service, Jobs responded: "You'd think so if you haven't been asleep the last two weeks."

that was funny.

• Reply 143 of 252
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

I am sceptical iTunes will be released for PC...

It would in one stroke, wipe out a feature attracting people to the Mac platform...

Surely it would be counter productive in the long run?

Market share. If this downloadable music service were only to be available to 3-5-blah-whatever percent of the market, what would be the point of the Big 5 music companies agreeing to such a big showing. (And that's assuming 100% of that 5% would use it regularly).

No, a method for Apple to sell songs through their system by a good, healthy chunk of all computer users would pay for the overhead and give Apple Yet Another Revenue Stream.

Mind you, it would behoove Apple to give Mac owners and/or .mac members a small discount or something else to make the potential switchers active switchers.

Screed
  • Reply 144 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

that was funny.

second that
  • Reply 145 of 252
    iTunes for PCs is only a guess on my part. However, I have no doubt that eventually the music service will be available to PC users just as the iPod was.

Quote:

If we won't be able to upgrade firmware to support AAC, i'm saying bye bye to macs and getting Amiga.

Of course Apple will provide a firmware upgrade. Why do people think that the company wouldn't do this. They have a built-in user base and need the iPod owners they have now to support the music service as well as future buyers. It's a non-issue. (You'll see.)
  • Reply 146 of 252
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Of course Apple will provide a firmware upgrade. Why do people think that the company wouldn't do this. They have a built-in user base and need the iPod owners they have now to support the music service as well as future buyers. It's a non-issue. (You'll see.)

Agreed. On the other side I don't think Apple will make iTunes for windows, but they will probably make pc users connect to the service trough MusicMatch. MusicMatch pretty much has the framework for such a service already with the MusicMatchMX version. It will probably not take much work to make MusicMatch handle Apples music service in a similar manner.
  • Reply 147 of 252
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

This was at the bottom of that article, and I think this will be a problem.

The rub is that it's only streaming! You can't put the music onto a CD or in your mp3 player. I think that's the deal anyways.

Please correct me if I am mistaken
  • Reply 148 of 252
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Did anyone else catch this delightful Freudian slip?

Quote:

The service has already won the praise of some record executives who see it as a potentially powerful weapon against online privacy

• Reply 149 of 252
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Too bad no one will probably go for it, with kazaa and the likes out there it will be a hard sell... the hardware better be damned sexy to get people to go for it. If itunes came out on the pc, some pc people would still have complaints too. Its going to be fricken interesting tho whatever comes out.
  • Reply 150 of 252
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    if this takes off it sure is going to suck for music stores... times are hard enough as is...
  • Reply 151 of 252
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Too bad no one will probably go for it, with kazaa and the likes out there it will be a hard sell... the hardware better be damned sexy to get people to go for it. If itunes came out on the pc, some pc people would still have complaints too. Its going to be fricken interesting tho whatever comes out.

Only for those without honor.

That only applies to thieves. How would you like to pick a job, and go to work everyday 40+ hours a week and get no pay check?

Even though there is Kazaa, and limewire out there (I use lime wire sometimes) The idea is to try before you buy. Not download all for free you freaking scumbag thief!
  • Reply 152 of 252
    Reading through this thread, someone said Apple's new iPods may have Dual system compatibility, just one that works with macs and PCs.

Newsflash:

ALL iPODS WORK WITH BOTH OSes

i know this because at christmas, i got a 20 gig windows one because all the mac ones were sold out.

speaking of which, anyone wanna buy it?

-ST
  • Reply 153 of 252
    The original iPods are listed as Windows and Mac Versions because the hardrives have different software on them. Also the Windows iPods came with a Firewire to USB cable I believe.
  • Reply 154 of 252
    Quote:

You know that some people want music other then the stuff 20 somethings like. There's a whole world of other music that Apple will be making available from the 5 largest catalogues on the planet. And, the artists will be paid! What a unique idea, huh?
  • Reply 155 of 252
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

You know that some people want music other then the stuff 20 somethings like. There's a whole world of other music that Apple will be making available from the 5 largest catalogues on the planet. And, the artists will be paid! What a unique idea, huh?

The question is whether Indie labels will be made available on the service. If not plenty of great bands will not be listed and thus I would be relunctant to use the service.

For this thing to be successful, as you point out, music that you cannot find online right now must be available.
  • Reply 156 of 252
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Quote:

iTunes for PCs is only a guess on my part. However, I have no doubt that eventually the music service will be available to PC users just as the iPod was.

..i was trying to be funny...
  • Reply 157 of 252
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

The rub is that it's only streaming! You can't put the music onto a CD or in your mp3 player. I think that's the deal anyways.

Please correct me if I am mistaken

You are correct. $9.95 for streaming and then $0.99 per song that you burn. So with listen.com, if you want to burn 50 songs, you'd have to pay $50 (+ monthly fee).

I will say that I subscribe to their streaming service from work (where I use a wintel) and I'm very happy with it. They have a TON of stuff. But I can't wait for Apple to release their service and be able to buy music without any monthly fees or weird restrictions.
  • Reply 158 of 252
    Quote:

..i was trying to be funny..

Well, I guess you need to try harder! (rim shot here)
  • Reply 159 of 252
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by David R

You are correct. $9.95 for streaming and then $0.99 per song that you burn. So with listen.com, if you want to burn 50 songs, you'd have to pay $50 (+ monthly fee).

I will say that I subscribe to their streaming service from work (where I use a wintel) and I'm very happy with it. They have a TON of stuff. But I can't wait for Apple to release their service and be able to buy music without any monthly fees or weird restrictions.

We'll know soon enough.
  • Reply 160 of 252
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

The question is whether Indie labels will be made available on the service. If not plenty of great bands will not be listed and thus I would be relunctant to use the service.

For this thing to be successful, as you point out, music that you cannot find online right now must be available.

total agreement here. i follow a few small bands who have somee great albums in new orleans and canada, but haven't really been signed to a major record label. hell, one of the bands has asked me to get their songs out there, even if it's for free, just to get people to listen to them. maybe they are an unique circumstance, and we're also using web channels and their site to get them downloaded, so there are options. i just hope there's still some room for the smaller people at the table, too.