Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 201 of 252
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

one more point I wanted to bring up...

what about data loss? I've had hard drive issues that cause data loss before, do you think if that happens you're just out of luck? or do you think Apple will store records of what you've gotten so for like a very minimal fee you can recover your catalog?

What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen? Same thing. You buy it all over again. Neither Apple or any other company is responsible for your reimbursing you for your misfortune. That said, a for fee backup service might be a good idea. Give it time though. That won't happen unless they can assure it won't be abused.

Don't know how the copy protection scheme will work, but it is possible that it may imbed a processor ID or something else, that will allow backups, as long as they are on the same processor. Backing up your data is your responsibility. We will learn more as time goes on.
  • Reply 202 of 252
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    Well said
  • Reply 203 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen? Same thing. You buy it all over again. Neither Apple or any other company is responsible for your reimbursing you for your misfortune. That said, a for fee backup service might be a good idea. Give it time though. That won't happen unless they can assure it won't be abused.

Don't know how the copy protection scheme will work, but it is possible that it may imbed a processor ID or something else, that will allow backups, as long as they are on the same processor. Backing up your data is your responsibility. We will learn more as time goes on.

Amen. Now, if they don't let you make backups, then theres a problem.
  • Reply 204 of 252
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by discstickers

Amen. Now, if they don't let you make backups, then theres a problem.

Maybe you'll be allowed to make a certain amount of downloads - say three - of the same song as long as you are using the same computer/iPod? Apple could track the downloads on your accont. Your account could be associated with your computer(s) in some way, and would not allow you to download the files to any other computer than your own. Is this a possible solution?
  • Reply 205 of 252
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen? Same thing. You buy it all over again.

No, you download the songs from the net, or rip a friend's copy, or some other such thing. Why buy it again?
  • Reply 206 of 252
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    does anyone know if the event tomorrow will be streamed on apple's site? i don't have a satellite, but i want to see it!!
  • Reply 207 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsfmark

does anyone know if the event tomorrow will be streamed on apple's site? i don't have a satellite, but i want to see it!!

Dont you think it would be easier to bribe a couple of Apple workers to let you in than to get your own sateliite [/cheap shot]

No word on QT stream. AFAIK they had a QT stream AFTER the event at the introduction of the iPod.
  • Reply 208 of 252
    tiktik Posts: 57member
    Quote:

What happens if your favorite CD gets scratched, broken or stolen?

If it's one of my favorite CDs, I immediately make a copy and keep the original safe in it's case.

Who buys CDs anymore though?
  • Reply 209 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tik

If it's one of my favorite CDs, I immediately make a copy and keep the original safe in it's case.

And I suspect there will be digital metaphor for this.

My guess is that your access keys will be stored in a discrete database, and that you will be able to secure that database either manually or though some .mac/Backup enhancements.

That way, even if your hard disk gets trashed you will be able to reconstruct your purchases.

Just my theory.
  • Reply 210 of 252
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tik

i do and it's awfully expensive in the netherlands: 20.00 euro per cd.

and a lot of my friends have the same problem as i do and more: they buy vinyl too
  • Reply 211 of 252
    zedzed Posts: 7member
    Damn. I can't wait till Monday. When is the service/hardware gonna be announcd?
  • Reply 212 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    10 AM PDT. (That's 1 PM EDT)
  • Reply 213 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Remember, tomorrow is a briefing to invited members of the media. It is not specifically a consumer unveiling such as a MacWorld event. That being said, reports are that a May 2nd Apple Store event will be for the public to get the new iPods and music service. That could be the reason for no live Quicktime streaming. Just a thought.
  • Reply 214 of 252
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    The original iPods were announced at a Media-only event, albeit I am not sure if they offered a live webcast. I recall watching it via QT webcast later that same day.

I think this time whatever they will be presenting will be HUGE in comparison to the iPod event. Live satellite broadcast calls for something really special.
  • Reply 215 of 252
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Even the Drudgereport (http://www.drudgereport.com) is picking up on the Apple Music Service. It links to a Financial

Times article. http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentSe...=1051389531103 The only new news is that record companies will recieve around 60 cents per download.

This is the first time I have seen the Drudgereport link to anything computer related at all. (Normally it just deals with national political issues) The site gets about 8 million hits a day.
  • Reply 216 of 252
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tik

Smart move! Backups are your responsibility. I seem to remember something about the service would allow the original purchaser to copy or download to up to three computers (i.e. such as a home network). That may be the backup strategy, to allow three copies. Again, we will see when the service is live.

Quote:

Originally posted by Tik

Who buys CDs anymore though? [/B]

A lot of honest folks who still believe that anything of value has a fair exchange. If you aren't paying for your music, then you are a thief.

Personally I like the idea of the service, because I hate paying for an album that only has one or two songs I like. This way I can buy exactly what I like and no more. I will probably buy more music then before, and can't wait to try the service out. Like USB and other technologies, the idea has been out there for a long time, but it takes someone like Apple to really make it "work right" for the average person.
  • Reply 217 of 252
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Does anyone think that Apple will also quietly revamp the eMac line on the 28th or thereabouts? I'm just waiting for an upgrade....I've got cash to spend..
  • Reply 218 of 252
    When someone buys a book, a VHS tape,a CD, a DVD, etc.... they are buying 2 things....

1. the actual materials used to transfer and store the content and..

2. the content itself

The material costs of the actual medium (CD/DVD/etc) is preety insignificant when it is sold to end users. (the last i heard it costed $.50 to duplicate Audio CDs in the recording industry...and then they sell it for $15+...highway robery imo)

An online music service if sticking to the same policies of ownership as that of conventional mediums will possibly not take off. It effectively does away with material costs..... the initial costs of getting the infrastructure of servers up and running will be very negligable in the long run.

Lets not forget...the thing that sells CDs and DVDs is the content. Thats what people are paying for. That should give them the right to have a copy of the content for themselves. If lets say....the CD got damaged...it should have been possible to return the CD to the store and get a brand new copy for free. Apply that to online music stores....if for some reason your HD gets wiped out, etc...you get ur computer/iPod/whatever initialized and running again.... log back onto the website and you can download the song again FOR FREE. If they accomplish that feat...and get all the legalities set....youve got the next major online evolution on your hands. The end user is happy, the fat cats are happy, etc. if they do manage to get an end user licence agreement like the one above, and restricting the duplication of content.....free or otherwise. im all for it. if they stay with the old model, i personally would prefer to get my hands on a CD/DVD/book....instead of having to invest in 'digital content'. why ?

my computer (although a Mac) is prone to crashing more than my CD n DVD case.

this is also good for content creators...... imagine content creators being given tolls/services like these from companies (like the rumored Apple) to direcly sell their music to customers via the web ? now make that on a per song basis..and youve got a killer prodcut...... this might do away with the recording industry...but is that a bad thing ? i mean in recent years, computers have done away with the need for postal workers, copy centers, photo places, video editors, etc,etc..... the RIAA is a bloated entity protectiong its own channel of income using archaic means. it's time for a change, whether or not it comes from Apple. I m all for fair use and anti-piracy, but the profitm argings for CDs and DVDs is just rediculious imo.

And i honestly beleive that if any company can bring about change...and change for the better in this arena, Apple can.
  • Reply 219 of 252
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Just wondering if the service should allow you, for a fee, to burn Cd's for gifts. Perhaps if you burn for yourself, it will be free, but contain your signature. Pay extra and you burn a clean copy. It's just an idea.
  • Reply 220 of 252
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    The word is that it allows the song to be coppied to 3 computers. Couldnt there be a way for the song, in conjunction with the software, to hold an array of up to 3 computer serial numbers (available via the system profiler). The software checks, and adds a new serial number if needed. This would allow you to make as many copies as you wanted...but could only be played on 3 computers. The BIG downside to this is that the song would only be "viable" for 3 computers, so if you only have 1 computer but you upgrade to a new computer once a year, you would have to buy a new copy of the song after 3 years...