What are your current machines and how long do you envision them lasting for you?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry about the long title but I have a friend who is working in the tech field. As anyone who is even associated with tech knows, this area of the economy and the jobs associated with it have been in the dumps for quite a while now. In most areas I am very optimistic, but here I am decidedly not because most people I know don't fully use their current computers or their computers are already drastically faster than what their real needs dictate. His opinion obviously differs on this and so while posting here may not decide the argument, it will at least broaden my perspective on the affair.

My current machines are as follows

Work: Performa 6500 w/603e250@ mhz

Home: Powerbook G4 500, Powermac G4@450, IBM Duron 1300.

The Performa 6500 is the only one I would consider replacing anytime soon but even it browses the web respectably with Mozilla 1.2.1. Although anything with heavy flash is pretty much a drag on that machine. It doesn't take full advantage of broadband but still feels much faster than dial up.

As for the others, I can't really imagine a need for replacing them anytime soon. The Powermac has a gig of ram purchased when sd-ram hit to floor was literally about $1 for 10 megs. I don't do any heavy gaming on my machines with current games. In fact I am almost inclined to do the opposite since there are game packs of games about 18 months old where you get one for $10 or three for $20. When you consider I can pick up Unreal Touranament:Game of the Year edition for $10 when a new game is $50, I don't mind being a bit behind the curve because the savings if 500+%.

My uses are browsing, word processing and spreadsheets (all Appleworks), light gaming, email, mp3's (ripping and iTunes), and occasional fun editing with iMovie.

Next,

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 46
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    I don't plan on buying another Mac for about four years. There isn't much this 800MHz PowerBook isn't capable of doing. It's lightweight, wireless, and it does its job.

I will, however, continue to transform / build my ever-changing PC, for game-playing. The next big upgrade should come with the release of DOOM III.
  • Reply 2 of 46
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Currently having a Dual GHz SlowSilver?, TiBook 400, A dual 1.2GHz Athlon PC.....

No plan to upgrade laptop in the next two years (Laptop is only for playing DVDs and presentation)

PC....should replace it with a new one in 10 months

As for my SlowSilver?.....probably will still be on my desk until rev B PPC970 based tower comes.....After my big horror with the rev A B/W G3 I swore I would never buy any rev A products
  • Reply 3 of 46
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I've got a G4 Cube 450, and a 75mhz Pentium in a box in the garage.

PC - never need another anytime soon

Cube - probably in 18 months with either a 14in iBook or 12in PB.
  • Reply 4 of 46
    (see sig for computer)

I basically use it for word processing, spread sheets, and presentation (i.e. MS Office), browsing, and email. And a little bit of gaming (Diablo II). If new 15 in PowerBooks come out with the 970 I MIGHT splurge on the first ones, but more likely I will wait for the first speed bump AFTER the intro. By then 1 GB RAM sticks hopefully will be cheaper and I can get 2 or 3 GB of RAM into a PowerBook. I think I would hold on to this one too....or maybe hand it down to my folks (which is an odd concept, hand me downs going in reverse). I honestly love this computer and its versitility. My wish list for future add ons would probably be an AirPort base station and maybe a firewire drive for backup.
  • Reply 5 of 46
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I do the usual tasks, plus programming, web design, and noodling around in graphics programs and listening to iTunes (my computer is my stereo right now...). Now that I've got X11 running, I'm starting to indulge my inner UNIX geek again. My two and a half year old 450MHz G4 Cube with 1GB RAM and a 60GB hard drive is more than adequate to the tasks I demand of it, and so I can easily see keeping it for another year or two at least, and since I'm looking to get a portable computer next I could see it sticking around longer than that. It's not going to get any worse at what it does until it starts falling apart, and the way it's built I don't see that happening soon.
  • Reply 6 of 46
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    At my home i have a G4 533 that i am not ready to change. I just changed the screen for a Image Quest Q17, and i am happy with it. Perhaps i will change next year of chip and of video card when the prizes of the G4 will drop down.

I have a powerbook G3 300 that i use for Powerpoint presentation. He is perfect for the job : no need to replace it.

At my office i have three computers : one server and two computers an i mac 266 and a a G3 333. I use a software based upon 4 D server. The network is based upon ethernet 100.

This software is slow and i wished to upgrade it. I tryed to upgrade my server a B&W G3 350 with a extra UW HD, with a G4 550 card from Powerlogix : i see nearly no differences in term of speed for the my medical software based on 4D (contrary to the advice gived by the technician of the soft company ).

I hope to speed this software, and as a friend of mine, said i must upgrade the customers posts.

For me, i want to replace my G3 333 with a new tower, and you can bet i wait for the PPC 970. This post is not only use for medical stuff but also for some photoshopping ( corpses morphing and nose profiling in case of esthetic surgery planning). I own photoshop 7, but i can use it on the G3 333, because he is stuck under os 8.6 and refused to upgrade. I have also a lot of old drivers in it for my powerlook 3 scanner, and others.

For my secretary , a i mac will be perfect, but i have to wait a speed bump for the 15 inch model. (one ghz minimum and a better video graphic card : she did not really need raw power, but a geforce 2 mx card is a joke by todays standarts)

The sad thing is that currently my software is not ready for mac OS X, i expect that it will be ready in the end of the year, to allow me to make the "transition". I am not even sure that classic is able to run the old 4D.
  • Reply 7 of 46
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    Home:

Mac: Dual 450 768/30GB / DVD Rom / Jagwire 10.2.3

PC : PII 400 / 512/4GB / Win98se

Work:

Mac : 15 x 400AGP G4 Sawtooth 768/20GB/ DVD Rom / 9.2.2

+ 1 x ibook 14"

PC : 15 x PII 500 / 256 / 20GB / WinNT4

I'm not really going to replace any of them any time soon as apple aren't offering any real performance boost for the money at the moment. If the 970 is as major a jump as the hype suggests (and not just on a par with current PCs) then I'll probably put in the bid for replacing all our macs and PCs with 970s.

If the 970 is just another catch up event then I'm sure my bosses will be happy to replace my gear for me with shiny new Dells. we are dues for replacement later this year and I hope to god that apple has a killer powermac in the wings

• Reply 8 of 46
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I've had my 333 iMac since '99, I want to replace it with a 1Ghz TiBook when the new 15" AlBook comes out, and of course when I have the sufficient funds to do so.
  • Reply 9 of 46
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I've got a 233MHz G3 iMac (98 ) and a 333MHz G3 iMac (99).. They've lasted great for nearly 5 and 4 years, respectively. I feel you, DanMacMan. I'm waiting on either a sufficient line of credit, gift, or an upcoming settlement to get my next Mac, which should be a 17" Lapzilla. I figure, if a middle-of-the-road product that was brand new at the time can last me 5 years and still run the newest Mac OS fairly well and I can still get things done with it (and still sell it for $250-300), imagine how great a top-of-the-line product will be in a few years.
  • Reply 10 of 46
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    PB 800 from work that i'll have until i quit. a 867 12"PB that i actually bought (first mac i ever bought with my money!) an Athlon 1.4Ghz box i built myself, and another Athlon 800 or 900Mhz i built for my wife.

of those, i expect to keep the slower desktop for about a year or so, then might just kick it down to someone else. the faster one i'll probably keep for two years or longer, although i've had it for at least a year or two already.

i used to game a lot more than i do now, so a fast PC was key. nowadays it's tough to push a TBS or RTS game that hard, so i stick with what i've got.

the 12" PB i'm sure i'll have a long time, it's got a DVD burner in it, and is really portable, so it'll be ages before that one's completely obsolete.

my macs average an extra 2 years at least over my PC's. party because they cost more, mostly because they work longer.
  • Reply 11 of 46
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yeah, at work we replace our pc's every 2 to 3 years...the macs (though fewer) we replace every 4-6 years....

at home i have an iMac DV bought in 1999 that we run till it dies and then keep forever as a piece of art...it is almost 4 years old...i expect the kids to use it through high school---so about 4 more years...will probably have to increase the HD, but that is it for upgrades

we also have an iMac FP 800 bought in 2/2002---so it is a year and change...we will keep this also till it dies...i expect we will keep it running also for about 6 years....

we will add either a portable or a kick ass 970....three computers should be plenty for this house...though we may go 2 portables for both kids....

before that we had a quadra 605 that lasted from 1992 to 1999....so macs usually last some time in this household

in conclusion: right now, 2 iMacs....expect both to last 6 years, maybe more...might add to our total number of computers in the next year...either a 970 tower and a portable, or two portables.....

g
  • Reply 12 of 46
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, I've got an ibook 700.

I'll be going to grad school in the fall, and I'd like to snag myself a 970 when they come out. It all depends on if I can get myself a TA job (i.e. get my tuition paid for) or not. If not, my trusty ibook will just have to go it alone.

Then again, if I don't get a TA job, I'll be in debt anyways. So what's a little more?

No, No, must resist the twisted logic. Must resist the RDF!
  • Reply 13 of 46
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    I have a DP 1 GHz Quicksilver G4 dd w/19" Sony G420S CRT monitor. Whenever the 970 towers come out I will probably get one.
  • Reply 14 of 46
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I'm using a QS DP1Ghz as my primary machine right now, and it will last me until rev.2 of the 970 machines come out (well...maybe rev.1....) at which point the QS will replace my DA DP533Ghz as my secondary machine at which point the DA will be relegated to rendering pretty much full time.

The Graphite iMacSE will forever be my only OS9 machine so I can play through the Marathon trilogy every year of my life until I die (or it does).

The Cube will be upgraded to the point that it can't be anymore...and then it will live on as the Ultimate Mac Sex Object?. Never far from my lusty gaze.

The Pismo has been maxed out as far as I'm comfortable with doing myself. It crunches through Jaguar, and seems pretty happy nowadays staying up late with my gf playing DVDs on the couch with a couple bottles of wine when I'm at the office late.

The beige G3 300 has been lonely lately. I feel terrible about not spending more time with her, but I'm determined to surprize her with a boat-load of upgrades soon....probably serving something or other.

The PowerCurve hasn't been turned on since 1999. I'm afraid to because I'm sure I won't remember how OS8 works.

[edit]: The point of this post?...I can't bring myself to get rid of my machines. Too much emotional involvement. \
  • Reply 15 of 46
    gspottergspotter Posts: 342member
    Work: IBM Thinkpad 600X (576 MB RAM), good enough for office work, presentations and some (not to much) java development, so I'll probably use it a little longer (until our company switches from W2K to XP...)

Current Project: IBM Thinkpad T23 (768 MB), provided by the customer for the duration of the project

Home: Dual 1GHz MDD (1 GB RAM), PB G3 400 Pismo (196 MB RAM): No plans for replacement anytime soon.

I gave my last Mac, a G3 300 B&W (640 MB RAM) to my father.

In the cellar, waiting to be sold: PM 8100/80 (40 MB RAM), Quadra 700 (20 MB RAM - my first Mac).
  • Reply 16 of 46
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    I've had an iMac DV SE 500 since August 2000, then an iBook 500 since August 2001, both running OS X 10.2.4.

The iMac has served me very well, but I miss not having an internal burner of any sort and my hard drive has been full for months. The lack of Quartz Extreme goodness is a bummer, too. I find the 500 MHz G3 just fine for my needs... but that would change if my video card could handle newer games.

Even though the iBook is even less impressive specwise, I use it mainly for schoolwork and light web browsing, so raw power isn't an issue. Portability and battery life are king.

I might replace them both with a single 12" PowerBook this summer. My Family has averaged a new Mac every three years in the past, although we always keep the old ones around.
  • Reply 17 of 46
    chic4macchic4mac Posts: 99member
    I had an imac g3 400mhz for 3 years and finally upgraded to a 700mhz eMac. I wish I kept the imac as well, b/c when I wanted a used computer for my hubby, we purchased an imac 500mhz, and it doesn't run as smooth as my first mac.

I plan to use this emac for at least 4 years.
  • Reply 18 of 46
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    I've had a 12 inch Powerbook G4 since Valentines day. It's my baby - I love it. I really don't see myself getting another computer until college is over (four years from now). This one seems like it will suit me just fine. 8)
  • Reply 19 of 46
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've had my iBook since June 25, 2001 and for a while I've wanted a new computer and maybe sometime soon I'll get one, but I expect my iBook to last a lot longer.
  • Reply 20 of 46
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I have a Bondo 233 iMac that serves as an iTunes sterio.

I have a Powerbook G4 550 that I got last year. I love it- but I dream of even more speed. My hope is to wait another 2 years until I get a job and they buy me a new Powerbook. Around that time I want a new iMac 17 inch too! Oh can I wait

my web page