What are your current machines and how long do you envision them lasting for you?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    I work at home

I have,

* I have a duel 500 mgz powermac G4 (mystic)

* a 400 mgz G3 powerbook (lombard)

* and I have ordered the new 17 inch powerbook (hammerhead)
  • Reply 22 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I have an 800 MHz iBook and a homebuilt Athlon XP 1700+ PC. I bought a Radeon 9100 for the PC but it was DOA so I'm awaiting a replacement. However because money's getting really tight I'm going to have to sell the PC most likely. This summer things will get better as I get back to working. I expect my iBook to last quite a while. The thing is, when I upgrade, I wanna get a 15" PowerBook with a superdrive. That'll be my next computer. Exactly which model I get is yet to be determined, it depends on how quick I make the money. So if I work my ass off this summer and make a few grand, I might be able to afford a used Superdrive PowerBook after selling the iBook. But most likely I'll just keep the iBook for a couple more years. The problem is that I've somewhat gotten in the habit of obtaining new computers just because I get bored with the current one, no matter how awesome the current one is. In October of 2002 I got a dual 500 MHz G4, and I put 40 GB and 80 GB hard drives and a Combo drive in it... and fairly soon I got sick of it and sold it to my mother who really needed to upgrade from her B&W G3. So that's when I got my iBook. I think I'll keep my iBook longer though because I really did want a laptop in the first place but I had "determined" that I didn't use my previous laptop on the road much. It might have had to do with the fact that it was a 233 MHz G3 and it weighed 8 lbs... anyway, the iBook will probably stay for at least one more year, hopefully longer because it's not a good habit to be constantly changing computers. The PC's gone though... maybe I'll buy an XBox instead for gaming, that way I won't be clamouring for a new computer.
  • Reply 23 of 46
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    At work it's a PM 933 (I think it will do for about 2 years unless the company heads decide otherwise).

At home it's an iMac DV+ 450 (which I'm not giving away until it dies). I have a secret plan to buy a more powerful Mac this autumn because one Mac is not enough for a family of 3 persons.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

The problem is that I've somewhat gotten in the habit of obtaining new computers just because I get bored with the current one, no matter how awesome the current one is.

I think we've found the next Murbot!

Okay, so on topic now. I need my Mac to be able to do all the iTunes music stuff, photo storage and editing, video editing, CD and DVD burning, and some web authoring.

I have a 400Mhz Pismo at home, still running only OS 9, and with 192 MB of RAM. I've had some issues with it recently: The battery just up and fried itself one day, so I have to leave it always plugged in now; and my DVD drive is toast.

So I could get more RAM, upgrade to OS X, buy a new battery, and replace the DVD drive, but that still wouldn't allow me to do all the things I want to do (including DVD authoring and burning, and Avid XPress DV). Besides, I could spend that money toward a new machine.

So I'm looking at getting a new machine by July (when I have a large video project to do). I'd like to wait for the 970 machines, but I can live without them for now and just upgrade later. I don't really need the portability of a laptop anymore (although it was really useful in college), so I have my eyes set on the 1.25Ghz PM, upgraded to a Superdrive. Between now and July, I'll be saving up all my pennies, nickels, and dimes; and hopefully won't have much of a difference to finance with credit.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Except I don't have any money I literally have under $100 in my bank account now, all of it has been sunk into computer crap. But I'm a college student with lots of scholarships so I suppose that's not so bad.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Why do I always come up in these threads?!

OK, OK. I'll admit I'm a reformed Mac-swapping addict.

I went about 3 years where I didn't have a computer much longer that 4 months max, average was more like 2. It actually served a good purpose, though.

I had my first Mac, a 400 MHz Pimso PB, for a good 8 months or so before I sold it. It was just a couple of days before they did that quiet upgrade to it, where the HD went to 10 GB from 6 GB, and there was some other minor tweak I can't recall right now... might have been a $300 CAD price cut I think. I remember thinking "Hey, I should play the market with this kind of timing!" heh heh.. made out well on the sale considering it's age.

Then I bought a 450 MHz Cube, and just afterwards saw that beautiful new Titanium PowerBook rolling out... had to have that. Did really well on the Cube sale, which was my first eBay sale. I sort of got the bug right then.

I bought the 400 MHz Ti Book at the begging of March 2001 on eBay, since the seller was only a few hours away, and they were still very hard to get. I paid a hundred bucks US over retail I think. Seeing the demand for them, I thought what the hell, let's see what I can get on eBay for this thing. Sold it 2 weeks later for about a $300 profit. The rest, as they say, is history.

It's been a good ride. The initial $4000 CAD I paid for my Pismo was completely on credit. My little method of Buy, Play, and Sell over the next couple of years paid this off, and then some. Not a bad little setup, as I got to play with just about every new Mac that came down the pipe, then I'd unload it just before the next update, and pick up something else. I cut it really close sometimes.... I sold one of my 700 MHz iBooks just before they updated it to 800 MHz. I woke up that morning to see the new models on the front page, and the mail man waltzed in half an hour later with my money order. Never did get stuck with an old model over that time. It pays to have a little inside info. heh heh

But I'm pretty much done. I'm tired of the constant backing up, reinstalling, etc. I must have a dozen copies of the same crap, iPhoto libraries, Docs... pretty sick of the whole eBay thing too, with all the fraud and crap going on there. I was sick of having my auction up there with 4 or 5 doofuses from Italy or something running scams... made it pretty tough to sell.

I've got a 1 GHz iMac sitting on my desk at home right now, and can't find a reason to change it. It's pretty much a perfect computer IMO. It's plenty fast, has a big fast HD, and the 17" display is amazing. I'm also really digging (digging? been reading too many pscates posts or what ) the silence of the iMac. I'm getting to where I just can't stand the noise of fans whirring away. Unless they find a way to make PowerBooks quiet as iBooks, and PowerMacs as quiet as iMacs, I'll be sticking to the "consumer" stuff.

My wife and daughter are on the Mac at home all the time now too, so I can't go a couple of weeks without a computer like I could in the past. So it looks like the iMac will a permanent fixture in our place for a long time. I've had it for about 2 months, which seems like a freaking eternity to me right now.

I'll be trying to sock away a few bucks here and there, so the next Mac purchase will likely be an iBook, maybe next year when it's got a G4 (provided the fans don't run in it like they do in the current GHz TiBooks).

So yeah, we might be done with the Murbot Watch threads.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    I'm in the process of selling my Ti400 to finance my next PB which has to last me for at least 4 years (unless I win the lottery).

I'm starting a product design course in September and need a portable that will run VPC and AutoCAD (required course) - I will NOT get a PC laptop

So when someone kindly takes my TiBook off my hands I can go shopping and get my first ever brand new Mac (all my other Macs have been previously loved).
  • Reply 28 of 46
    hey. Maybe I'm becoming a murbot too.... My last two Macs were a Pismo G3/400 then a Cube. Now I'm thinking of getting an ibook or 12" AlBook.. My girlfriend has told me she will kill me if I dont stop constantly buying and selling Macs so it sounds like you have a more understanding other half Murbot

So currently at home I have a PC, Shuttle SK41 with Athlon XP2200+ with Win XP pro but it aint OSX sigh... but it did only cost £300 to build myself. At least at work I still have 4 macs to play with; Imac 15" G4/800, Slowsilver 733, and 2 Rev B imacs 333Mhz (Tangerine!!)

Next mac is a 970 15 ALbook (or an ibook for the woman - I "switched" her !!)
  • Reply 29 of 46
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I'll replace my 700MHz iBook whenever it's too slow for me to work with. I have 640MB of RAM in it, so I may be awhile. I just got AppleCare for it, so I'll try to resist the temptation to sell it and pick up a new laptop for at least a year.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

hey. Maybe I'm becoming a murbot too.... My last two Macs were a Pismo G3/400 then a Cube. Now I'm thinking of getting an ibook or 12" AlBook..

Hey, you have a long way to go man.

I didn't list every Mac I've had, because I don't even know anymore... I've had at least 4 CRT iMacs, 4 or so iBooks, 4 PowerMacs, 5 PowerBooks, 2 FP iMacs... and those are just the ones I've actually used for a little while. Lots went straight to eBay. I'm guessing a bit... might be an extra CRT iMac or iBook in there.

Man, what am I going to do with all my extra time now...

• Reply 31 of 46
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    great "i care because u do" thread

pretty interesting...

i have an imac333 with 160mb ram and 120gb disk which runs most stuff fine

i just want to play the latest games...and do demanding stuff like keynote...reason 2.5 (maelstrom...)...3d and artmatic rendering and carry it around for work and home use...so my next machine will be something portable and powerful

a new 15"al book or 2nd rev 17" powerbook

the possibility of a 970chip in one of those 6 months later scares me though
  • Reply 32 of 46
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Currently own a G4/400. It does everything I need it to, so I'm not in a hurry to purchase an upgrade. (My printer...well, that's another story...)

Though lately, I've been considering selling the PM for an iBook, and going wireless.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xidius

iBook 800.. ~4 years+. ^_^

(People thought I was crazy when I said I'd have my iMac for that long.. ^_^ I showed them!)

- Xidius

Yeah, that you're crazy! (Just kidding, I admire your spunk!)
  • Reply 34 of 46
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    I just bought a 700Mhz eMac (it's being shipped as I speak) and I plan to keep it for 3 years. Of course, this isn't the fastest Mac around but it will serve my needs, which are:

Web Browsing (Safari)

Email (Apple Mail)

MP3 Playback (iTunes)

MacMame (If it can do so smoothly. I love playing Mr. Do! and Qix.)

Writing XHTML (BBEdit)
  • Reply 35 of 46
    I have a dual 500 G4. I can easily see it lasting me as my primary machine for another full year and a half or more, at least until the second generation of 970s comes out.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    My Quicksilver will last until the second revision of the next processor (G5, 970, whatever it is).

My Duron will last until the next version of Windows. (since windoze is so damn proprietory and hates being put on 'old' machines)

My Beige G3 mp3 server will live forever. (at least as long as those three IBM deathstars last.

My 9600 which I use for video capture (ala AV ports) is already in retirement. It kinda just hums behind the entertainment center with it's ghetto makeshift voodoo card. LOL, those were the good old days.

My Lombardo will make it till I can afford a new AlBook. (okay, this means 8-10 years lol)

My daughters 6100 will last until I get around to fixing my 8500 (I have the G3 upgrade card in it but not the time to clean install it)

My Bondi iMac (which I bought and maintain for my parents) will last until I can talk them into a flat panel (this time THEY are paying for it)

My Blueberry iMac (which I bought and maintain for my brother in law) will last until they get my roll down quicksilver (when I upgrade)

My Newton 2100 will last until Apple release a new PDA, untill then, you'll have to pry it out of my fingers with a crowbar.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    See sig for my computer.

Just got this - it will have to last 3 years. Should be no problem - I'm just a word processer / iTunes / web browsing guy. I can see my graphics chip becoming outdated soon, meaning some of the fancier aspects of the internet will be lost to me. But that is not much of a concern right now.

I basically made this investment for iTunes and (soon) an iPod. I am a serious collector / distributor of rare and obscure late 60s psychedelia. So far, I totally love iTunes.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Check out my sig for info... these comps should last me at least 2 years... the powerbook anyway...
  • Reply 39 of 46
    What a good thread!

I bought my PowerBook 667 in September, so I've had it for about 8 months now. I plan on upgrading the standard 256mb ram sometime soon. And I absolutely need either an iPod or a small portable hard drive because I managed to fill it already. It looks like I'll have this computer for the duration of college, so that means I'll get a new computer in less than 3 years.

I'm definitely going with another PowerBook for law school. I think. THIS IS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT @ Yale Law School:

What do they mean they don't support Apple Computers? Argghhh!
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

What do they mean they don't support Apple Computers? Argghhh!

Ahh, haven't you heard? Apple computers aren't compatible with the internet or anything else. And no floppy? WTF?