DVD2ONE comes on the Mac!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 89
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ponton

ast3r3x,

What app did you use for decryption?

i got a serial number from someone (who may wish to remain nameless) so i wont say though i'm not sure how u couldn't figure it out haha

but i would strongly urge you to buy it and not pirate it
  • Reply 62 of 89
    pontonponton Posts: 43member
    ast3r3x,

I meant, did you use DVD Backup or OSeX first?
  • Reply 63 of 89
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ponton

ast3r3x,

I meant, did you use DVD Backup or OSeX first?

If I had to take a guess Id say its the copy of DVD Backup 1.3 that I gave him maybe two weeks ago. And I won't flame you but I will commend you on your intension to purchase. However, you could have used the demo mode to gague quality I think.

A@ron
  • Reply 64 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by A@ron

If I had to take a guess Id say its the copy of DVD Backup 1.3 that I gave him maybe two weeks ago. And I won't flame you but I will commend you on your intension to purchase. However, you could have used the demo mode to gague quality I think.

A@ron

DVDBackup...haha and yes A@ron did send it to me (haha i had it though with the TONS of DVD program stuff i had/needed before this)

now you rip, mix, burn

DVDBackup (rip)

DVD2One (mix...well its like mixing kinda)

Toast (burn...you don't need toast but i use it)

yes i could have because they set it up beautifully for it, smartly like they should, but i also wanted a realtime idea of how long it takes (instead of just multiplying by whatever the movie was with teh 30min they gave)

there really is no need to pirate it to check it out, they have it set up the way they should, expect it to work like the demo works

my main question is HOW do these people do it...its so much faster then any other compression i've seen, it also seems to work better. i am not sure how they did it but i am impressed, and am pleased that they put the effort into making it for mac (relatively quickly) so that is why i will purchase it, because is support good developers who give me somethign so useful that it deserves it

i also am goign to buy acquisition this wk (it feels good not to pirate...though acquisition is shareware)
  • Reply 65 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

(snip)

i am not sure how they did it but i am impressed, and am pleased that they put the effort into making it for mac (relatively quickly) so that is why i will purchase it, because is support good developers who give me somethign so useful that it deserves it

i also am goign to buy acquisition this wk (it feels good not to pirate...though acquisition is shareware)

I don't go as far as P2P, or file sharing stuff because all you are doing is feeding the evil (anyone get what Im saying). As far as compression, DVD2OneX does a few mixture of things, mainly it drops B frames to save space. About 25% of the compression done is this method. DTOX also does some reincoding (don't know how to explain it exactly). The main reason for its speed is, however, it is built to just do what it does. Its not a can opener, video compressor, and a means to convert one mpeg form to another. ast3r3x how does the quality look on your 52"?

A@ron
  • Reply 66 of 89
    heh...my 52", no i'm poor

on my friends panasonic, it looks good...i think i coudl tell a quality loss but i was looking close, and it was nominal...aka you couldn't tell

it was a thing of beauty
  • Reply 67 of 89
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I can't see ANY quality loss and I am ANAL about quality. I am all about quality if you know me. A new version came out today, 1.0.1. Wonder what's new? Probably the stolen serial that's already out!
  • Reply 68 of 89
    where can i get dvd backup. I have dvd2one, but don't know how to get it to work.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 69 of 89
    Try Google or Versiontracker...
  • Reply 70 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I can't see ANY quality loss and I am ANAL about quality. I am all about quality if you know me. A new version came out today, 1.0.1. Wonder what's new? Probably the stolen serial that's already out!

perhaps i was just imagining it, but i was pretty sure I could if i was close to the TV and worked at noticing something...then again i dont have the original DVD to compare...either way like I said if there was something it was nominal
  • Reply 71 of 89
    Quote:

Try Google or Versiontracker...

although both are good i've found i like macupdate.com the best, then versiontracker.com , then download.com, and as a last resort go to google

well google might come before. download.com
  • Reply 72 of 89
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    I found DVD Backup HERE
  • Reply 73 of 89
    Nope there is zero quality loss at least to me. However there is an interesting thing going on. It says it will make the VIDEO_TS folder 4272 megs, yet it'll be smaller, for Ghostbusters for example it made it 4.17. I think this may just be because it's stripping away different audio tracks and other fat.
  • Reply 74 of 89
    Quote:

Nope there is zero quality loss at least to me. However there is an interesting thing going on. It says it will make the VIDEO_TS folder 4272 megs, yet it'll be smaller, for Ghostbusters for example it made it 4.17. I think this may just be because it's stripping away different audio tracks and other fat.

well once i free up more hard drive space i'll do some detailed comparisons and check quality loss...there is some, i have to figure out if u can notice it or not...u say u can't and i dont think its easy to but i think its noticable in certain places (pure black), perhaps fire too (still have to check)
  • Reply 75 of 89
    No. The answer is simply no. I can absolutely see no difference between the original DVD and the downsized version, and I look hard. I can sleep at night knowing my DVDs look grrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
  • Reply 76 of 89
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'll test out my copy and let you all know what i think.
  • Reply 77 of 89
    eh...if i have time this week end i'll create a movie that pushes compression

pure colors (not sure if this does anything) fast flashes of colors, gradients of color...all that good stuff (we'll see if i can get any bad thing out of it)
  • Reply 78 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

eh...if i have time this week end i'll create a movie that pushes compression

pure colors (not sure if this does anything) fast flashes of colors, gradients of color...all that good stuff (we'll see if i can get any bad thing out of it)

DTOX has errors in compressing any VIDEO_TS track authored by DVD Studio Pro, Sizzle, or whats that other one? So it may be a little difficult to do that.

A@ron
  • Reply 79 of 89
    pontonponton Posts: 43member
    Did my first backup of one of my DVDs last night using DVDBackup 1.3. The instructions said I could burn this directly to a DVD using Toast as long as I gave it the same name as the original. So it looks like, if the filem and associated files are less than 4.7 GB, DVD2one is not needed? It would only be required for longer movies?
  • Reply 80 of 89
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, it's only needed for movies over 4.7GB, but that's pretty much every single movie out there, so DVD2One kicks ass.

i just bought my copy.