DVD2ONE comes on the Mac!

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Correct--only for longer movies will you need this.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ponton

Did my first backup of one of my DVDs last night using DVDBackup 1.3. The instructions said I could burn this directly to a DVD using Toast as long as I gave it the same name as the original. So it looks like, if the filem and associated files are less than 4.7 GB, DVD2one is not needed? It would only be required for longer movies?

right, you can either just rip it with DVDBackup or make a toast image of it and then burn that, either is easy enough to do
  • Reply 83 of 89
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Exactly. Movies have to be less than 110 minutes about, and I think when they're widescreen even less since that has more data per frame because it's just bigger. The Game the entire disc fit, no compression needed.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    pontonponton Posts: 43member
    Another question to a post I saw on the DVD2one forum. If you have a DVD with multiple episodes such as the Sopranos, is it possible to split the video instead of compressing all the shows to single disc?
  • Reply 85 of 89
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ponton

Another question to a post I saw on the DVD2one forum. If you have a DVD with multiple episodes such as the Sopranos, is it possible to split the video instead of compressing all the shows to single disc?

not sure, why would you want to do this, with nominal quality loss, i think you would like the convience of having them on one DVD

IIRC you can do what you want if u rip with OSEx by chapter (or is it elemental?) and then use a program like sizzle to burn to a DVD
  • Reply 86 of 89
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    reburned my first DVD this weekend. i had a copy of American Beauty i owned. i hate the damn FBI warning, the stupid menus etc. all that crap is just plain annoying to me. i want a movie. that's it.

so i ripped it, compressed it and reburned it.

it looks AMAZING!

great little app. for stuff like the Sopranos, you need to just do a dvd copy, not movie only. it keeps chapters but that doesn't do you much good when you're flipping between episodes.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    mox358mox358 Posts: 21member
    i have a question about burning... i ripped with OSEX, encoded wtih DVD2ONEX, and then being Toast-less just burned those files to a blank DVDR from Apple using the Finder.

Is there a better way to do this?

I think it messed up burning the last chapter because I got a weird error, then when i tried loading it on an Xbox DVD player and a different set-top player I got errors both times. OSX's DVD Player.app however, would play it IF i selected the VIDEO_TS folder manually.

Are DVDs like CDs in the same way as they have a closing track? If so that could have been the problem, but I am worried the OSX Finder may not work for burning. Anybody who's better at this stuff have time to help me out?
  • Reply 88 of 89
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    read the dvd2oneX forums to answer that.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    Quote:

Am I the only one who thinks this is terrible. Really there is no legitimate use for this programme. This programme is just for copying DVDs rented from Blockbusters or borrowed from friends and relatives.

Well, that's not entirely correct, I'm afraid. I can think of one legitimate use for this program which is totally legal-

FANSUBS!

Think about it. I take an imported DVD which has not been released by a US company like Pioneer. Say... Kimagure Orange Road, or Sister Princess. It's a dual layer DVD, so previously I would have had to break this DVD into two DVDs. With this program I can create a single DVD which looks almost as good as the original, and now costs someone half as much to buy as it would have previously. As fansubs are a not for profit thing thing this benefits everyone, as I don't have to spend time burning TWO DVDs, only one. They don't have to keep track of two, or ship two, etc.

I think this will be a great help to fansubbers. And with DVD studio Pro now at $500.... well, let's just say the prospects are good.