13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 review: Incremental upgrade and unexciting

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Thoughts on SSD speeds?
    Here are the thoughts of someone who tried software and file transfers. This model is of no interest to me anyway. I am waiting for the reviews on Macbook Air with M2, to see especially if throttling can become a problem due to the absence of fan combined with the fact that M2 consumes more power than the M1.
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Thoughts on SSD speeds?
    This is addressed in the review.

Almost nobody is coming from the M1. I saw your videos and they look good if a bit hyperbolic, but unless you’re benchmarking or using the two machines side by side, a real-world upgrader is never going to see the difference. 

And, the folks that are coming from the M1 are getting those storage and RAM updates, and not dealing with it either.
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 47
    A question:

Can this base model of the M2 MacBook Pro drive two external monitors?    The M1 version can only drive 1 (unless I am mistaken)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 47
    A question:

Can this base model of the M2 MacBook Pro drive two external monitors?    The M1 version can only drive 1 (unless I am mistaken)
    Not without DisplayLink hubs, which we do not generally recommend for any uses other than basic. This is addressed in the review text.
    the3rdpartymuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 47
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    ... most of the target market won't see or feel [the performance difference].
    Mike, I just wanted to update you and everyone else in this thread about the new video from MaxTech which presents strong evidence to the contrary...

As you can see in Max's excellent video, most people buy the base model, and most people likely WILL feel the SSD limitation in light of the fact that 8GB or RAM is the base model config, and on the M2 that amount of RAM appears to be more limiting than 8GB on the M1 model was.

After watching that new video evidence, I must say that it very well could apply to the M2 MacBook Air as well, in which case new buyers would need to buy at least a 512GB SSD, but also perhaps consider getting 16GB of RAM too.  That makes the M2 MacBook Pro not much cheaper than a 14" MBP (a much better Mac), although the MacBook Air would likely still have a good price advantage over the 14" MBP even with the added 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.

This is most unfortunate for STUDENTS who often need a MacBook Air for school and who most often get the base model because their parents are buying it for them.  Students studying graphics design (like my daughter) or engineering stand to benefit from a better performing notebook.  If the M2 Air is like the M2 13" MBP, then they would be missing out on real world performance in a major way, and may actually benefit from having an M1 model instead, based on the evidence presented in Max's video.

Mike, I look forward to seeing the forthcoming M2 MBA review from AppleInsider in light of these critically important findings and hope you will give a similar eagle eye to performance pertaining to RAM and SSD as Max has.

Thank you for brining us great Mac-related news!
  • Reply 46 of 47
    jdw said:
    ... most of the target market won't see or feel [the performance difference].
    Mike, I just wanted to update you and everyone else in this thread about the new video from MaxTech which presents strong evidence to the contrary...

<snip>
    This is not an excellent video, for the reasons I put forth before. It's well produced, and pretty, sure. It has data, sure. They wanted to prove a point, and worked backwards to get to where they wanted to go. In the thermals video, they did the same thing -- they crafted a test to get to the result they wanted to see, instead of considering how the machines are actually used.

They are welcome to do this, of course, and I'm glad that they're successful. Good for them! However, numbers without contextualization, or considering the market, or user base, are beyond worthless. It's like having a number for anything you need to measure, without a unit.

Nobody's going to see this coming from Intel, and the upgrade rate from the M1 is and has been, very, very low. Those students, literally, won't see any difference, unless they're using two M2 machines, one with low SSD volume, and one with the 512 or 1TB capacities, side-by-side.

And, like I've repeatedly said and said with the score, the M2 Air will be the better machine. Also addressed in the text is the SSD speed difference between the two. I also addressed in the text of the review that a 14-inch MBP is better for the performance-oriented.
    edited July 2022
  • Reply 47 of 47
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member
    Unexciting is good. It means the product is mature and stable. Exactly what I’m looking for in a dependable machine.