Apple releases full trailer for animated comedy 'Luck'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
An extended trailer has been released for the Apple TV+ feature-length animation, "Luck," which streams from August 5, 2022.

Written by Kiel Murray and directed by Peggy Holmes, "Luck" is the first full-length animated film made for Apple TV+ by Skydance Animation. The new 2 minutes and 38-second trailer has been released on the Apple TV app, and also posted to YouTube by The Animation Studio.

Apple describes the comedy as being about Sam, "the unluckiest girl in the world, who after stumbling upon the never-before-seen world of good and back luck, must join together with magical creatures to uncover a force more powerful than even luck itself."

Set partly in our own real world and partly in the Land of Luck, the films stars Eva Noblezada as Sam, and Simon Pegg as Bob the lucky black cat. It also features the voices of Whoopi Goldberg, Jane Fonda, and Flula Borg.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I don't know - every time I see Apple announcing something for their streaming services, it feels contrived. It's comes across as a "look - me too!" approach where a consortium looks at market data and makes creative decisions based on those. I know this isn't different from, say, Netflix, but for some reason it feels contrived to me.

• Reply 2 of 8
    I don't know - every time I see Apple announcing something for their streaming services, it feels contrived. It's comes across as a "look - me too!" approach where a consortium looks at market data and makes creative decisions based on those. I know this isn't different from, say, Netflix, but for some reason it feels contrived to me.

I get what you're saying, but as someone who works in the market research industry and has in fact worked with Netflix folks (incl. show writers)... believe me, it's all market researched AF. There is WAAAAAAAY too much at stake to go on gut feel or winging it and see what happens.

I was just on my animation soapbox the other night... I am passionate about Pixar films because they have heart and a story to tell, even though I know they are all market researched (and owned by Mousewitz as well). Dreamworks anim films ("Shrek" notwithstanding...), OTOH, feel contrived and slapped together. Get some names to voice it, string together some gags, we're good to go.

I'm hoping that Apple's anim efforts will be Pixar v2.0
    edited July 2022 CluntBaby92BeatslolliverCheeseFreeze
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jellybellyjellybelly Posts: 111member

Maybe it’s just titles/movies of no interest to you.  
    This one doesn’t grab me, but I do family movie nights in the parks, and in two years when this is available to show publicly, with royalties paid of course,

I think the grade school kids will bring their parents to see it for the 3rd or 4th time.  They usually have the DVD or have rented it, and love to come to the park for fun, games, prizes for all and free popcorn and a free movie—everything is free.  

I’ve done over 90 in the last 14 years.  So, I’m glad to see it coming out for their sake. I fund it for about $350 in royalties, $200 in publicity, $150 in popcorn, water and prizes, and $200 for drum circle before movie plus occasional local singer songwriter. 
    It’s hard work, but in the end, I get as much or more out of it than the families.  Imagine creating lifetime memories for kids and their families.  It does a person good, as they say. 

Beats
  • Reply 4 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    For the life of me I don’t know why Apple hasn’t acquired this studio or any studio really. It’s also awkward to see 3rd party logos on Apple TV Plus. “Sony Pictures” for example. This one should be good since it’s John Lasseters new company. This could be Pixar 2.0 but Apple won’t bite.

If Apple does acquire a studio, it should be THIS one. Now better than when the value shoots up because it will. Wouldn’t be surprised if Skydance becomes the next Dreamworks.
    emig647
  • Reply 5 of 8
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I've enjoyed a lot of Apple+ series. Enough to continue to support them by paying the monthly fee... for now... But this one felt pretty poor. Not sure "contrived" is the word I'd use, maybe, but I felt like the plot felt so incredibly lame. Instead of making a story about something truly heartfelt and real, they fell into the modern story-telling trap of creating a "world with rules that has to be overcome, and ultimately broken, in order to reach the goal". A to B. Many modern scriptwriters are just making "concepts" and "video game scripts". They've probably grown so used the idea that the film must be compelling in a pitching scenario, hence falling into the "concept" trap over and over again. I used to work as an animation director and animator, and I'm still a true animation fan.. And I'm very sensitive to seing poor storytelling being poured money over and turned into movies. It hurts a little. Writing it off too early, of course… Sorry… but the trailer said it all.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Beats said: For the life of me I don’t know why Apple hasn’t acquired this studio or any studio really. It’s also awkward to see 3rd party logos on Apple TV Plus. “Sony Pictures” for example. This one should be good since it’s John Lasseters new company. This could be Pixar 2.0 but Apple won’t bite.

If Apple does acquire a studio, it should be THIS one. Now better than when the value shoots up because it will. Wouldn’t be surprised if Skydance becomes the next Dreamworks.

Looks like they have hired quite a few from Dreamworks already... 
    https://www.screendaily.com/news/skydance-media-hires-four-senior-executives-from-dreamworks-animation-/5127082.article
    edited July 2022 Beats
  • Reply 7 of 8
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    emig647 said:
    Beats said: For the life of me I don’t know why Apple hasn’t acquired this studio or any studio really. It’s also awkward to see 3rd party logos on Apple TV Plus. “Sony Pictures” for example. This one should be good since it’s John Lasseters new company. This could be Pixar 2.0 but Apple won’t bite.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/skydance-media-hires-four-senior-executives-from-dreamworks-animation-/5127082.article

This company is gonna be a monster. A lot of Disney giants also moved in to Skydance. Heck John alone would make the company a priceless asset. Just keep him happy.

I wouldn’t doubt it if Amazon acquired them next year because Apple is too concerned with piling cash.
    sconosciuto
  • Reply 8 of 8
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Beats said:
    emig647 said:

This company is gonna be a monster. A lot of Disney giants also moved in to Skydance. Heck John alone would make the company a priceless asset. Just keep him happy.

I wouldn’t doubt it if Amazon acquired them next year because Apple is too concerned with piling cash.
    I don't think the David Ellison is interested in selling Skydance Media, nor would his sister Megan be interested in selling Annapurna Pictures. They aren't doing this just for the money, and they are still relatively young.