iPhone 14 could cost $100 more than iPhone 13

Posted:
in iPhone
The 2022 update to the iPhone could be a costly purchase for consumers, with an analyst claiming there could be a $100 price rise on the way for the iPhone 14 collection.

Apple's expansive supply chain is hard at work preparing for this fall's iPhone refresh. However, that same arrangement of suppliers could end up forcing Apple into raising the price of its flagship products by a considerable amount.

Wedbush Securities analyst Dan Ives said the firm believes "a $100 price increase is coming for the iPhone 14," reports the Sun. "Prices have been increasing across the whole supply chain, and Cupertino needs to pass these costs to the consumer on this release."

Various elements within the components industry are raising prices for various reasons, such as Samsung raising chip production pricing by 20% in May, following other foundries. Covid-related lockdowns have also caused problems for Apple's supply chain, with partners working to catch up on production.

Corroborating Ives' claim, Ben Wood of CCS Insight confirms a price rise could happen, but it would depend on whether Apple will go through with it. "There is no question that production and component costs continue to rise for all consumer electronics makers, and in the case of the UK, exchange rates are a factor too," said Wood.

"These elements would suggest a price rise may be necessary," the analyst continued, but suggesting "given the cost of living head-winds, Apple may decide that increasing prices could be counterproductive."

if Apple does go for a price rise, the cost of a standard model could jump considerably. The base-model iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro cost $799 and $999 respectively, so the iPhone 14 counterparts could end up costing $899 and $1,099 respectively.

However, as Apple is rumored to be culling the mini model in favor of a larger variant of the standard iPhone, the entry-level model could be kept at $799, equating to a $100 price rise from the iPhone 13 mini's $699.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 158member
    I’m seriously concerned that Apple is pushing the high-end limit - in phones and computers. I’ve been a longtime Apple proponent and user, but I see a day rapidly approaching that makes the cost so high as to be not worth the investment. Of course, I can buy whatever I want or afford, but it saddens me the tech that gave me a career may not be in my future arsenal. I believe that the Mac Studio Ultra I’m getting will probably be the last Mac I will buy. Only time will tell.
    edited July 2022 darkvadercornchip
  • Reply 2 of 9
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,110member
    My 17" iMac G4 cost $2400 in 2003.  Or $3600 in 2022 dollars.
    Seems like they keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

In 2012, my iPhone 4s was $780 in 2022 bucks.  3G max, single lens camera, 16GB of storage, 3.5" screen....nice phone, but compared to my 12 mini for $729 (24 months ago) I don't feel like the pricing is out of control.

king editor the grateStrangeDayscornchiptmay
  • Reply 3 of 9
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,429member
    Everything goes up so it's expected that Apple costs will go up. Even MacBook Air M2 is more expensive. 

But it's not just Apple, virtually all mobile users will notice a hike. 

sconosciutotmay
  • Reply 4 of 9
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Shall we bet on how much time passes between Samsung mocking Apple for the increase and Samsung subsequently raising their prices by $100?
    AniMillsconosciutocornchipbaconstangtmay
  • Reply 5 of 9
    netrox said:
    Everything goes up so it's expected that Apple costs will go up. Even MacBook Air M2 is more expensive. 

but Apple will get 90% of the crap about it.

NOBODY'S PC/mobile device is assembled without using some sort of sweatshop-ish labor.* But Apple gets 90+% of the crap about that as if they are unique.

*of course that's not an excuse for not improving labor conditions.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Shall we bet on how much time passes between Samsung mocking Apple for the increase and Samsung subsequently raising their prices by $100?
    suckers bet
    darkvader
  • Reply 7 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,734member
    netrox said:

I agree. $100 either way is a lot but it's true that prices have risen noticeably and inflation (and 'redulflation') are on the uptick. 

If the increase is justified through extra costs then it should be understandable to most. 

Consumers will simplify have to pick from cheaper options (which Apple has had for a few years now) or extend there upgrade cycle. 

A few years ago there was a virtually $100 increase across Android phones as manufacturers began to push for higher margins. It never really adjusted back. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Today I wanted to buy a Macsafe 2 charger and the price is 65$. That's theft.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,899member
    AniMill said:
    I’m seriously concerned that Apple is pushing the high-end limit - in phones and computers. I’ve been a longtime Apple proponent and user, but I see a day rapidly approaching that makes the cost so high as to be not worth the investment. Of course, I can buy whatever I want or afford, but it saddens me the tech that gave me a career may not be in my future arsenal. I believe that the Mac Studio Ultra I’m getting will probably be the last Mac I will buy. Only time will tell.
    If the high-end model is too expensive for you, thankfully there are less expensive models. Samsung’s highest-end models are more expensive than iPhones, but you would just not get those options either, right? How’s it different with Apple?
    cornchiptmay