'Captain America' star Chris Evans misses the Home Button, says new iPhones too heavy

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jdw said:
    crowley said:
    jdw said:
    MacPro said:
    All the people I come across who 'miss the home button' don't know sliding the finger up from the bottom halfway,  has the function they are missing.
    The same could be said of you regarding my bank account, in light of the fact you don't know the password.  

Seriously.

How is a swipe of any kind which you do not know suppose to be called "intuitive"?  At least with a button there, even if you don't know what it does, you press it to find out.  And the great part is, it has but only 2 states -- pressed or not pressed.
    Double press, triple press, long press, press with other buttons pressed.
    Not sure what you mean, but I still feel the existence of the button is better off for my feeble brain than an iPhone without it.  
    I mean that a lot of the actions you could perform with the button were also less than intuitive.  I can't remember how many times I've had friends or family members ask me how to take a screenshot on their iPhone and I've had to rack my brain to remember which combination worked on their particular model.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,350member
    crowley said:
    jdw said:
    crowley said:
    jdw said:
    MacPro said:
    All the people I come across who 'miss the home button' don't know sliding the finger up from the bottom halfway,  has the function they are missing.
    The same could be said of you regarding my bank account, in light of the fact you don't know the password.  

Seriously.

How is a swipe of any kind which you do not know suppose to be called "intuitive"?  At least with a button there, even if you don't know what it does, you press it to find out.  And the great part is, it has but only 2 states -- pressed or not pressed.
    Double press, triple press, long press, press with other buttons pressed.
    Not sure what you mean, but I still feel the existence of the button is better off for my feeble brain than an iPhone without it.  
    I mean that a lot of the actions you could perform with the button were also less than intuitive.  I can't remember how many times I've had friends or family members ask me how to take a screenshot on their iPhone and I've had to rack my brain to remember which combination worked on their particular model.
    That's why I want a Siri so powerful it rivals the starship Enterprise. Basically, I want Siri to stop telling me the things it cannot do and start doing what I ask.  I almost never use Siri (unless it's voice dictation) because it is perhaps the single most frustrating experience I have on an Apple device.  My personality is of the kind that I won't use it for a limited set of functions.  I want it to be more flexible before I begin to rely on it.  It's a brain dead idiot right now, and many of the features are deliberately dummied down, such as commanding it to change Preferences and the like.

All this is related to the Button and Gestures insofar as we are trying to control our machines without relying on the human brain to remember things.  That is the great potential of Siri.  I am very forgetful, so I want to just talk to Siri as I would a human being and hope she does what I ask her to do.  But again, she doesn't the vast majority of the time, and so I am left with my love affair with the physical home button.  But despite my love of that button, I'd take a super smart Siri (something we probably won't even have 10 years hence in terms of the way I define smart) over that button in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I don't disagree about Siri being dumb as a bag of rocks, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't want to use it to take screenshots, let alone basic stuff like unlock my phone, or go to the home screen.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,350member
    crowley said:
    I don't disagree about Siri being dumb as a bag of rocks, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't want to use it to take screenshots, let alone basic stuff like unlock my phone, or go to the home screen.
    Agreed, but it's a matter of speed and convenience.  I want to do a lot without relying on my feeble human brain, and I want to do those things fast and easy.  For most people, memorizing gestures is the ticket to success.  For me, well, it's still a physical home button. 

Just imagine what our mobile devices will be like in 20 years.  At least, I hope they will far more usable than now, and friendly toward those of us who have the unfortunate handicap of forgetting the important!