Rare Pegasus screenshots depict NSO Group's spyware capabilities

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new investigation has revealed rare screenshots of NSO Group's Pegasus iPhone spyware in action, showing off its user interface, capabilities, and more.

NSO Group
NSO Group

The screenshots depict a prototype version of Pegasus meant for use by Israeli police. Some of the spyware's abilities include reading WhatsApp messages, activating a phone's microphone, and recording incoming or outgoing calls.

It isn't clear if the version of Pegasus in the screenshots is the same as the ones used by governments entities across the globe to surveil activists, dissidents, and journalists.

Credit: Haaretz

The screenshots were published by Israeli newspaper Haaretz following an investigation by the country's government. That probe was spurred itself by a separate investigative report from earlier in 2022 indicating that Israeli police forces had been spying on citizens without oversight.

Pegasus is a spyware developed by NSO Group, an Israeli-based surveillance software maker. The company's spyware has been used in attacks targeting everyone from U.S. State Department officials to journalists working for Al Jazeera.

Back in November 2021, the U.S. government declared NSO Group and its Pegasus hacking tools a national security risk. Prior to that, the FBI was mulling using Pegasus spyware for domestic surveillance operations.

Apple also sued NSO Group in November 2021 over Pegasus. Under the weight of controversy and financial strain, NSO Group was said in December to be considering killing off its spyware tools.

In June, reports suggested that cash-strapped NSO Group could be acquired by U.S. defense contractor L3Harris, which is known for making its own surveillance tools, such as Stingray.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    applguyapplguy Posts: 235member
    Nice looking UI. Also glad I am a nobody. No reason to spy on me unless they want to know what we’re having for dinner. 
    williamlondoncornchipbikerdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 13
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 155member
    applguy said:
    Nice looking UI. Also glad I am a nobody. No reason to spy on me unless they want to know what we’re having for dinner. 
    That Klingon Gagh says a lot about your allegiance. 🖖  
    StrangeDaysbikerdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    ransonranson Posts: 69member
    applguy said:
    It's actually a pretty terrible UX by 2022 standards. But since the datestamps in the picture are from nearly 10 years ago, its likely that the current UX is styled much differently than what you see here.  I am surprised to see that it is apparently a fat windows client, rather than a web ux - but again, 10 years old so who knows how it is delivered today.
    StrangeDaysdoozydozenapplguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    applguy said:
    And it's fully whacka-whacka-whacka keyboard operated like the UIs on NCIS?
    bikerdudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Huh.

The Israeli police force spying on Israeli citizens without oversight is bad - but everyone else is apparently fair game.

With friends like that ...
    williamlondoncornchipbloggerblogAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Huh.

The Israeli police force spying on Israeli citizens without oversight is bad - but everyone else is apparently fair game.

With friends like that ...
    Well…they are the most important people in the world. And haven’t seemed to learn anything from the pain and suffering they encountered in WWII. Just ask any Palestinian. 
    viclauyycbloggerblogAlex_Vlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I thought the u.s.a. Had treaties and other diplomatic accords to keep us from having to put up defenses against allies? What are the reporters and press missing in these stories about NSO?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Crooks governed by crooks as they commit atrocities under the banner of victims
    Alex_Vlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    If L3 has it, iPhone users are already compromised. 

Impressive and clean UI if slightly outdated - it was built to be mass marketed to versions law enforcement agencies snd governments most likely. Not what I expected.   

Apple may have sued, but there’s no way something that works this well is going anywhere. 
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 215member
    applguy said:

Keeping your head down and staying out of trouble — good for you. Fortunately you don’t live in an oppressive, or exploitative, or undemocratic place, or you might be forced out of your stupor. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    applguy said:
    I am sure the same sentiments were uttered during the Nazis occupations in Europe. As a matter of fact, I am sure dictators count on it.
    edited August 2022 watto_cobraKha0ss
  • Reply 12 of 13
    There is a new tool that finds the pegasus in your devices and saves your privacy. I think it's called Sentry Notamper.  B) 
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra