iPhone 14 camera cutout may not be the shape that's expected

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2022
The iPhone 14 Pro has long been rumored to be switching from a notch to an i-shaped cutout, but a late rumor suggests something different.

Apple is expected to introduce an iPhone 14 Pro that puts its Face ID, and other technology, under one hole-punch and one pill-shaped display cutout. Now, however, a leaker says that these two parts will be made to look like a single, if smaller, notch.

That's specifically when the iPhone display is powered on. It's presumed that Apple may turn off pixels from the region between the two sensors, making them appear as one.

Presently, if an iPhone screen is not powered on, it shows nothing. But it is separately predicted that Apple will introduce always-on to the iPhone 14 range.

The same leaker also claims that once the screen is on, Apple may yet adjust what pixels are turned on or off. It could do so in order to better suit what is being displayed on the screen, such as by slightly shrinking a video image.

If the video being played is shrunk down on the screen by a few pixels, that space could be left black most of the time, but also then be used to display notifications.

The leak originally came from a single source, but MacRumors said on Wednesday that it has subsequently identified what may be Foxconn employees discussing the feature online.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has stated that he also believes the display cutouts will look like a single, wide pill shape.

This is true. It looks like one wide pill shaped cutout. Having that separation would look odd during use. https://t.co/SrAtYQsENx

— Mark Gurman (@markgurman)

If the rumors of the new cutouts for Face ID and other systems are true, it will mark five years since Apple switched to the notch. The iPhone X was the first to adopt the notch and so abandon the once-familiar home button.

Apple is expected to unveil the new iPhone 14 Pro at its September 7 event, which will also see the launch of the Apple Watch Series 8.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    The cutout in the examples above is worse than a notch.

If you took the exact same sized cutout and moved it up to the edge so it’s a smaller notch you get more usable screen space. The screen above/around the cutout is literally wasted space that can’t display any content. What benefit does it bring, except to appease the people who whine about the notch?
    bonobobFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,700member

If you took the exact same sized cutout and moved it up to the edge so it’s a smaller notch you get more usable screen space. The screen above/around the cutout is literally wasted space that can’t display any content. What benefit does it bring, except to appease the people who whine about the notch?
    You kind of defeat your own point here.

Both notches and cutouts take up usable screen space. The alternative to that is a forehead, moving everything into the frame via a curvature (frame bump) or under the screen (technology which isn't ready for the mass market yet). So it is a given that space will be lost in the current way manufacturers deal with the problem.

In that scenario the size of the lost space comes into its own, not the chosen format. Apple's notches have always been huge. The cutout option shown here looks smaller than the notch on any previous iPhone and, perhaps more importantly, looks less dated.

To me it looks more elegant. 

Personally, I have no usage issue with either approach although I would prefer everything in the frame. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    avon b7 said:

Both notches and cutouts take up usable screen space. The alternative to that is a forehead, moving everything into the frame via a curvature (frame bump) or under the screen (technology which isn't ready for the mass market yet). So it is a given that space will be lost in the current way manufacturers deal with the problem.

In that scenario the size of the lost space comes into its own, not the chosen format. Apple's notches have always been huge. The cutout option shown here looks smaller than the notch on any previous iPhone and, perhaps more importantly, looks less dated.

Personally, I have no usage issue with either approach although I would prefer everything in the frame. 
    Did I just read this right?  The notch looks dated???   After only a few years?  Just how many practical form factors and designs are available in the devices we call smartphones?  When the 12 series went back to square edges, there were some people saying it looks modern.  Yet,  that was already done on early iPhones…

my opinion is the notch looks futuristic and does have some symmetry where it is. Unlike some things going on with various phones.
    edited August 2022 bonobobracerhomie3watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member

Guessing they cannot move the notch/pill up to align w/the edge of the display b/c the board/electronic underneath do not allow it.

Turning of the pixels makes sense and is way less distracting than having two cutouts.

Showing the display above the pill, could be argued to make the cutout "appear" smaller than the previous year's notch.

All this is so silly.
    edited August 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ransonranson Posts: 69member

"If the rumors of the new cutouts for Face ID and other systems are true, it will mark five years since Apple switched to the notch."

?? So if the rumors are false, it won't mark 5 years?  WTF is this sentence even trying to say?  No matter what happens, they switched to the Notch 5 years ago.

edited August 2022 JapheydesignrbonobobcornchipFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Always thought the single pill was waaaay better than pill and hole. 

But just a hole would look better than that. 

Can’t wait to just have pure screen. 
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 841member
    The notch turned out to be a genius marketing tool. Anytime you saw a phone screen in a TV series or a movie, you knew instantly by the notch that it was an iPhone 
    designrdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,700member
    M68000 said:
    avon b7 said:

Did I just read this right?  The notch looks dated???   After only a few years?  Just how many practical form factors and designs are available in the devices we call smartphones?  When the 12 series went back to square edges, there were some people saying it looks modern.  Yet,  that was already done on early iPhones…

my opinion is the notch looks futuristic and does have some symmetry where it is. Unlike some things going on with various phones.
    Actually very dated. That does not have to be a bad thing depending on your point of view but in phone design especially (given the rapid release cycle of many manufacturers) it leads to design elements becoming stale very quickly.

The current Apple notch hasn't really changed all that much since 2017 (that's a very long time in this market) and if you see it as 'futuristic' the same could surely be said of pill and hole punch options too. In that case things will boil down to aesthetics and non-notch options have really looked less 'in your face' and that must only be a good thing as all notches and cut outs were born out of compromise. Ideally they wouldn't exist at all.

We aren't talking about what's in the notch here, just how it looks. 

If Apple hadn't changed the form factor by moving to squared edges people would have said the previous design would have looked dated too. Simply because it hadn't really changed for a few years. That's just the way things go. Leave the squared design around for years and the same thing will happen. It will look dated and yes, you are right, there are only so many basic options available in design terms (like earbuds) but that isn't the point.

In all likelihood a return to rounded edges will probably follow the current design and it won't look dated then simply because it will be new again.

edited August 2022
  • Reply 9 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    charlesn said:
    The notch turned out to be a genius marketing tool. Anytime you saw a phone screen in a TV series or a movie, you knew instantly by the notch that it was an iPhone 
    You haven’t seen many Korean Movies or TV shows most if not those smartphone shown on screen have notch’s and they ain’t Apple iPhones.
    FileMakerFeller