New AirPods Pro with improved features & better battery life debut

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2022
The second generation of AirPods Pro have been announced with improved battery life, and a dramatically better charging case.

"AirPods revolutionized the wireless headphone category with an innovative design and incredible sound quality," Bob Borchers, Apple's vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, said in a statement. "With the new AirPods Pro, Apple raises the bar once again."

"The new AirPods Pro deliver even better sound quality, a more immersive listening experience with Personalized Spatial Audio, and transformative audio features like Adaptive Transparency," he continued. "With up to double the noise-cancelling power of their predecessor, the world's bestselling wireless headphones just got even better."

Apple has not made many visible changes to the design of AirPods Pro 2 -- however, the speaker grills, stem, and other minor aspects were altered slightly.

The charging case has been revised to include a lanyard, plus it can now be charged using the Apple Watch charger. It also features a larger speaker for when the case is being searched for with Find My.

That charging case can now be engraved with Memoji and is also sweat and water-resistant.

AirPods Pro (Second Generation)
AirPods Pro (Second Generation)

Although the AirPods feature the same basic stem design, they now come with new ear tips. And the stems now include touch controls.

Those touch controls include media playback, volume selection, and the ability to answer phone calls with a tap. The stems feature improved skin-detection sensors to respond more accurately to touch and deliver better battery life.

Apple says that improvements such as this mean the new AirPods Pro brings extended battery life, enabling up to six hours on a single charge. That's an additional 90 minutes of battery life, and the charging case now enables up to 30 hours of use.

The revised charging case can now be charged by the Apple Watch charger
The revised charging case can now be charged by the Apple Watch charger

The new AirPods Pro has an updated processor for advanced audio processing, which Apple says provides twice the Active Noise Cancellation of the previous model and improved audio quality. It also features Transparency Mode, music reproduction, and 48kHz audio specifically for SharePlay.

AirPods Pro cost $249 and will be available in stores starting on September 23. Preorders begin September 9.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Using the Watch charging buck is great! Also interested in the adaptive-Transparency mode. And more battery? Sign me up.
    spock1234mike1dewmewilliamlondonappleinsiderusermacxpresslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Thought we might get a new AirPod Max. Hmmm?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    OK. I am officially in love with the AirPods girl. What a cutie!
    Japheyrmusikantowdewmeappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Yup. Yup.  I’ll be getting this.

This event always makes me a little poorer each year… and happier.
    spock1234StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I’m so happy that they held the line on price. The new AirPod Pro is a great value at $250, especially with all the new features. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I have a iPhone SE 2nd generation. Would this phone be able to take advantage of all of these new advanced features, or do only the newest iPhones/ Apple Watches have the chips required?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Where is the details on the lossless???

So, they support Bluetooth 5.3 which makes them compatible with LC3plus but this isn’t lossless and they haven’t confirmed this is present or coming.
    edited September 2022 uraharawilliamlondonrezwitsdk49watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Mcnaugha2 said:

So, they support Bluetooth 5.3 which makes them compatible with LC3plus but this isn’t lossless and they haven’t confirmed this is present or coming.
    I'm wondering that too. It only says "48 khz audio for Shareplay". That's not trumpeting "lossless audio".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    gilly33 said:
    Thought we might get a new AirPod Max. Hmmm?
    Unsurprisingly Apple prioritized their top selling AirPods model: the Pro earbuds. 

Next up will probably be the standard AirPods. The Max headphones will be the last to be refreshed.
    williamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    They have Bluetooth 5.3 technology (up from 5.0). The new battery life is tested with iPhone 14 Max (14 is the first iPhone to go beyond Bluetooth 5.0).
    Could it be that connecting the new AirPods to an iPhone 13 or earlier will deliver the same battery life and sound quality as before?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Using the Watch charging buck is great! Also interested in the adaptive-Transparency mode. And more battery? Sign me up.

Agreed. I love that idea. I can use my duo charger when I travel.
    I'll be ordering these on Friday. My original AirPod's batteries are just about shot now.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    sevenfeet said:
    Mcnaugha2 said:

I'm wondering that too. It only says "48 khz audio for Shareplay". That's not trumpeting "lossless audio".
    Qualcomm
     has produced lossless audio with 5.3 already, so it is possible. https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/01/qualcomm-has-found-a-way-to-support-lossless-audio-over-bluetooth-headphones-could-apple-be-next/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    sevenfeet said:
    Mcnaugha2 said:

Qualcomm
     has produced lossless audio with 5.3 already, so it is possible. https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/01/qualcomm-has-found-a-way-to-support-lossless-audio-over-bluetooth-headphones-could-apple-be-next/
    Qualcomm is providing CD quality lossless but I want Hi-Res Lossless from Apple.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Mcnaugha2 said:

It also mentions 48kHz audio but specifically for SharePlay? I am not sure what that means? Is it that shareplay works via Airplay 2 and not BT so that is how thay are getting to lossless quality ( 48kHz )?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I didn't hear anything about lossless, I think AI imagined it.
    ronn
  • Reply 16 of 23
    nubus said:
    They have Bluetooth 5.3 technology (up from 5.0). The new battery life is tested with iPhone 14 Max (14 is the first iPhone to go beyond Bluetooth 5.0).
    Could it be that connecting the new AirPods to an iPhone 13 or earlier will deliver the same battery life and sound quality as before?
    My thoughts exactly.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    crowley said:
    I didn't hear anything about lossless, I think AI imagined it.
    There wasn't any mention of lossless. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23

Although the AirPods themselves feature the same basic stem design, they now come with new ear tips.

Read on AppleInsider

I'm not sure a different size ear tip quite qualifies as "new", but since they already won't stay in my ears if I'm doing anything more strenuous than sitting on the couch, and even then having a bite to eat will work them out within minutes, I'm not hopeful that the "new" ear tips will help me out.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I was hoping that they introduce a new tips material this time. My number one complaint with my pros is that I have oily skin, which causes the Airpods to slip out pretty soon after I wear them. This dramatically reduces noise cancellation and audio quality. I have tried memory foam tips but they didn't help much. In fact they gave worse comfort. 
    edited September 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    2x more noise cancelling until they update the firmware and intentionally nerf it so you will want the AirPods Pro 3 with 3x more noise cancelling