Apple remembers Queen Elizabeth II with homepage takeover

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Thursday updated its homepage in honor of the passing of Queen Elizabeth II.

Apple's Homepage Image
Apple's Homepage Image

Queen Elizabeth II, England's longest-reigning monarch, passed away on Thursday, September 8. She died peacefully at Balmoral Castle in Scotland.

In honor of her passing, Apple has updated its homepage with her picture and a memorial message.

Apple CEO Tim Cook also expressed condolences for the people of the UK and Commonwealth.

There is nothing more noble than to devote your life to the service of others. We stand with the people of the UK and Commonwealth in honoring the life and dedication to duty of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. May she rest in peace. pic.twitter.com/GkLpqyovlh

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

Queen Elizabeth II reigned for 70 years, the longest of any British monarch. She was 96 years old when she passed.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,128member
    Except they didn't do that on Apple.ca for a country where she was actually Queen.

Apple.uk got it. Maybe .ca will get it later today.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,067member
    mknelson said:
    Except they didn't do that on Apple.ca for a country where she was actually Queen.

Apple.uk got it. Maybe .ca will get it later today.

It's on the Canadian landing page now. It appears that Apple is putting this tribute on individual landing pages for countries in the Commonwealth. 

Other countries like Mexico, Japan, Singapore, France and Brazil aren't seeing this tribute (as of the time I'm posting this).

Apple is not putting this tribute on regional pages (like Latin America) even if there are Commonwealth countries in that region (e.g., British Virgin Islands). So it's really just a handful of countries outside of the UK: USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand I think.
    edited September 2022 Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Nice, dignified way to honour Her Majesty. Thank you, Apple
    elijahgkurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 24
    The Queen was grafter and worked right up to her passing. The Queen worked tirelessly for her country, the people and the Commonwealth. Unlike Megan Markle, who wanted to be a princess without the effort, commitment and hard work that is required as a working Monarch.  

Megan was all about her, her and her. Harry married a princess alright but not of the Royal kind. Enough about Markle though. Today is about the brilliant and all admiring Queen of England, her majesty Queen Elizabeth.
    80025elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    laytech said:
    The Queen was grafter and worked right up to her passing. The Queen worked tirelessly for her country, the people and the Commonwealth. Unlike Megan Markle, who wanted to be a princess without the effort, commitment and hard work that is required as a working Monarch.  

Megan was all about her, her and her. Harry married a princess alright but not of the Royal kind. Enough about Markle though. Today is about the brilliant and all admiring Queen of England, her majesty Queen Elizabeth.
    Who is talking about Megan????? Well, since you brought her up: Why don't ya leave the woman alone?
    ronnJFC_PAmuthuk_vanalingamMBearforgot usernameAlex_Vfred1dewmecharlesatlas
  • Reply 6 of 24
    jccjcc Posts: 327member
    Why?! Her forefathers raped and pillaged countless people all over the world. Did no one take any history lessons? Did Tim Cook not study history??
    ronnJanNLfred1
  • Reply 7 of 24
    1348513485 Posts: 352member
    jcc said:
    Why?! Her forefathers raped and pillaged countless people all over the world. Did no one take any history lessons? Did Tim Cook not study history??
    Who, the Saxe-Coburg-Gothas? 

Besides, name any forefathers from anywhere who did not have a history of dastardly doings. You won’t find any, if you really have read history widely or honestly. Humans of all races, tribes and ethnicities around the globe have for many thousands of years treated neighbors and strangers alike quite brutally. Perhaps hundreds of thousands.

That doesn’t mean we can’t try to live up to our more noble and kinder instincts. She was certainly flawed, as are we, but traversed most of a century trying to be a better version of her family history.
    JFC_PAmuthuk_vanalingamentropysforgot usernameelijahgargonautdewmeGG1kurai_kagecharlesatlas
  • Reply 8 of 24
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    jcc said:
    I hate to break this to you pal, but every single human that has ever lived has forefathers that raped and pillaged. But just to be safe, let’s just stop honoring and celebrating everybody. How does that sound?
    edited September 2022 JFC_PAmuthuk_vanalingamentropyselijahgAlex_VGG1lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    ronnronn Posts: 663member
    jcc said:
    Some not only took history lessons, they lived it:

She was tortured with axes during Kenya's struggle for independence from British colonial rule. As Britain celebrates the Platinum Jubilee of its monarch, this old fighter wants to send her a message: "Let Elizabeth bring what belongs to me."
    indiekiduk
  • Reply 10 of 24
    jcc said:
    Your forefathers were most likely also participating in behaviour we would now deem filthy. Should we ban you outright for their crimes?
    elijahgGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    JP234 said:
    jcc said:
    Do you not realize that virtually everyone has assorted psychopaths, murderers, rapists and criminals somewhere in their past? Only difference is most of us don't know our family histories from 500-1,000 years ago. Are you accountable for something one of your 20 times great grandfathers did?
    My wealth and power isn’t directly traceable to one of the most murderous thieving bastards that has ever walked the earth.  Largely because I have almost no wealth and power in comparison to the vast ill gotten gains of the British Royal Family.
    JanNLargonautronn
  • Reply 12 of 24
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,192member
    There is a smallness in many people that would seek personal advantage even in the death of a person greater than any of us.
    elijahgdewmeGG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Today is iPhone pre-order day, the busiest and most commercially important day of the year for the apple website. Yet the front page is now in dedication to qe2.

This earns them quite some respect in my view, to prioritise humanity over profit.
    forgot usernamerundhviddewmekurai_kagelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    michelb76 said:
    jcc said:
    Your forefathers were most likely also participating in behaviour we would now deem filthy. Should we ban you outright for their crimes?
    No one suggesting banning the queen, just that there's no need to celebrate her on a consumer electronics site.
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 24
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,771member
    crowley said:
    michelb76 said:
    jcc said:
    No one suggesting banning the queen, just that there's no need to celebrate her on a consumer electronics site.
    There is no “need” to celebrate anyone upon their death, but when someone garners such affection and esteem as she did from the vast majority of the world, it is respectful to do so. It shows sensitivity and compassion, which some apparently lack.

Perhaps if they tried being less self-absorbed, and respected Apple’s decision to respect Her Majesty, everyone would get on better. 
    edited September 2022
  • Reply 16 of 24
    elijahg said:
    crowley said:
    michelb76 said:
    jcc said:
    There is no “need” to celebrate anyone upon their death, but when someone garners such affection and esteem as she did from the vast majority of the world, it is respectful to do so. It shows sensitivity and compassion, which some apparently lack.

Perhaps if they tried being less self-absorbed, and respected Apple’s decision to respect Her Majesty, everyone would get on better. 
    I call it bandwaggoning, as QE2 had nothing to do with Apple.  And they're contributing to a nauseating carnival of grief, dominating every newspaper, every TV channel, road closures, and now even wholly unrelated commercial websites.  Maybe if the outpourings weren't so exaggerated and omnipresent then those who have no regard for the royal family wouldn't feel so swaddled by the pageantry and could just get on with their day without bothering to comment.
    dewmeronn
  • Reply 17 of 24
    JP234 said:
    crowley said:
    JP234 said:
    jcc said:
    Do you not realize that virtually everyone has assorted psychopaths, murderers, rapists and criminals somewhere in their past? Only difference is most of us don't know our family histories from 500-1,000 years ago. Are you accountable for something one of your 20 times great grandfathers did?
    My wealth and power isn’t directly traceable to one of the most murderous thieving bastards that has ever walked the earth.  Largely because I have almost no wealth and power in comparison to the vast ill gotten gains of the British Royal Family.
    Meaning that your ancestors weren't as smart as the royal family. They were unable to profit from their misdeeds. Sucks to be you!
    Not really.  I'm pretty happy with my life, and the knowledge I have that none of my known direct ancestors were involved in theft, slavery or murder.  And if any of my unknown  ancestors were, I haven't profited from it in any significant sense.  That's a comfort to my sense of self.

Very weird flex from you there.
    muthuk_vanalingamauxioronn
  • Reply 18 of 24
    1348513485 Posts: 352member
    crowley said:
    michelb76 said:
    jcc said:
    It's news. No reason we can't step outside the Toy Store once in a while.
    elijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,004member
    This is a rather dumb argument.  

If you don't like the Queen, don't read the articles.  Get on with your day.  News of the Queen and the various tributes to her shouldn't get in your way of your day.  

elijahgdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    crowley said:
    JP234 said:
    crowley said:
    JP234 said:
    jcc said:
    Meaning that your ancestors weren't as smart as the royal family. They were unable to profit from their misdeeds. Sucks to be you!
    Not really.  I'm pretty happy with my life, and the knowledge I have that none of my known direct ancestors were involved in theft, slavery or murder.  And if any of my unknown  ancestors were, I haven't profited from it in any significant sense.  That's a comfort to my sense of self.

Very weird flex from you there.
    I find that there is a very real philosophy being sold to people these days that's essentially variations of the Hobbesian concept that all people are "nasty, brutish, and short".  It's delivered via hip hop music, Conservative politics, and similar.  I'm never quite sure if it's for personal benefit (i.e. the more people I can bring along on the selfish ride, the more I can profit from this mentality), a sense of comfort in their own actions (i.e. I'm just acting in the way of human nature), or as a way to simplify things to feel like they have wisdom.

My personal belief is that we are what we make ourselves.  If we create a system which applauds and rewards selfish actions, guess what we're going to see more of?  This is difficult for some people to accept because they can then no longer act as if they're a victim of circumstance.  It forces them to see that they are a very real participant in their own world.  Life is just a collection of individual actions by a number of people.  Perhaps there are a large number of people who will act greedily, but it's our choice how we respond to those actions.  The cycle continues with us.

Some will argue that you'll never "get ahead" without being that way.  My reply is that "getting ahead" isn't really an end goal for me.  I find personal happiness in using my abilities to create things which enrich the lives of others.  Seeing the joy and delight of people when they use what I help to create.  So really, it's finding that personal happiness and connection to others in my own way.  "Getting ahead" tends to happen naturally when you find personal happiness in what you do.
    edited September 2022 muthuk_vanalingamcrowleywatto_cobra