New 16-inch iPad rumored to arrive in late 2023

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2022
A rumor claims that Apple is preparing to reveal a 16-inch iPad in the fourth quarter of 2023.

16-inch iPad could be in the works
16-inch iPad could be in the works

A larger iPad model than the existing 12.9-inch model has been rumored for years, though Apple has never announced anything. A new leak from someone claiming to be familiar with Apple's product plans claims a 16-inch iPad is coming.

According to a report from The Information, the leaker says Apple could reveal a 16-inch iPad in the fourth quarter of 2023. However, they warned that the date could change or the product could be killed in development.

There has been plenty of speculation around a larger iPad model, though credible evidence has yet to surface. The leaker refers to the iPad without any name attached, but it is likely going to fall under the iPad Pro branding.

In 2021, Mark Gurman suggested that a larger iPad Pro would arrive "a couple of years down the road at the earliest." In June, a different leak from display supply chain analyst Ross Young suggested a 14-inch iPad could be coming and not be a pro model.

Either the 14-inch iPad or 16-inch iPad could exist, or both, since the display sizes line up with existing products. Apple's Liquid Retina XDR display used on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is already available in the 14-inch MacBook Pro and 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Apple updated its iPad Pro lineup in October with the M2 processor and little else of note. This minor update left Apple fans confused, as the redesigned 10.9-inch iPad got a new landscape FaceTime camera, but not the iPad Pro.

The iPad Pro tends to be updated on an 18-month cycle, so a fourth-quarter 2023 announcement would be early by Apple's normal schedule. However, a new display size could warrant an earlier-than-usual announcement

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,307member
    My 12.9" A10X-based iPad Pro spends most of its time on my nightstand or coffee table. I use it primarily for watching video, reading, and playing Civ6. 

I'd love to upgrade to a large screen iPad, but I don't need fancy pants cameras or an X$R display. I just want speed (for Civ6) and a big display. 

So I hope they come out with a larger screen iPad Air. 

Maybe a 16" iPad Pro will create the space in the lineup for a 12.9" iPad Air.... 
    Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Don’t care how much, if they make one I’m buying it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    16" is a pretty good size for a Wacom replacement. The 13" is a little too small. Maybe it could use Thunderbolt to really bring display lag to a minimum.

There are some rumors of macOS or macOS apps coming to iPad, maybe this would be the one? I'm sure there would be a lot of creative users that would love to run Blender, ZBrush, or other creative tools right on a larger screen iPad. If Apple wanted a killer application for Pro iPads, this would be it. It would make a lot of sense for the iPad Pro line to get more parity with Mac and allow side-loading since many of these apps would never be available otherwise.

A 16" would be nice as a desktop replacement, although I don't really like my Smart Keyboard. It makes using the iPad as an iPad too awkward. Sometimes you want to mainly use the pencil or touch, but do a little typing and that is hard with the Smart Keyboard. I would prefer a standard aluminum Apple Keyboard with a little trackpad in front like the Smart Keyboard. I'd love that for my Mac too. A Smart Keyboard with bluetooth link so it keeps working when detached might be alright too. 

Hopefully a larger iPad will have at least 2 USB-C ports.

If it could run Mac apps like Blender, I would definitely be buying it.
    edited October 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Parity with a Mac would only occur if it was able to run macOS. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Holy crap! How much would this weigh? Put handles on the sides?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    jayweiss said:
    Parity with a Mac would only occur if it was able to run macOS. 
    There are rumors that the iPad Pros might get some ability to run macOS apps. I assume that would mean either running macOS apps (much like Macs can run iOS apps) in a separately sandboxed filesystem or running macOS in a VM. Stage Manager would probably make this feasible.
    edited October 2022 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I’ve said for years that I want a 65” iPad. The only thing that’s changed is I’d now like it to be 85” please. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    16” seems awful large, but hell-yeah. All I’d really want is a wider aspect ratio. I’ve never been a fan of the 12.9 1.33:1 - I love my 11” 1.43:1, it feels great both portrait and landscape. Especially when watching widescreen movies. On the 11” the letterbox is tolerable, but on the 12.9 they’re such a waste of space. Perhaps they’ll go with 1.6:1 (Golden Ratio), then that’d look great and even better for content creatives.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    eightzero said:
    I'd guess about 50% more than the 12.9" iPad Pro, so 2.2lbs. Still lighter than the Macbook Air at 2.7lbs but it would feel heavy to hold all the time. It would be good for illustrators like the 16" Wacom below, which is priced at $1500. The Pencil + Procreate is a good setup for illustrators:

edited October 2022 dewmetenthousandthingswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    neilmneilm Posts: 988member
    eightzero said:
    Yeah, and a couple of cupholders. It'll make a great cafeteria tray.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    eightzero said:
    No problem. Usherette tray with straps. Add a cup holder, pencil holder, other accessories, and maybe some snacks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I doubt you would hold this in your hands much. It really would be for professional use and a laptop replacement. The market would be quite small.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    eightzero said:
    Apple has been rumored to be interested in using hybrid OLED screens in the future. Those are supposed to help reduce thickness/weight versus other types of screen tech. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Yeah. Makes you wonder if the rumormongers are just confusing these iPad displays for Macbook Pro 14 and 16 displays.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    entropys said:
    I doubt you would hold this in your hands much. It really would be for professional use and a laptop replacement. The market would be quite small.
    Yeah I think you’re wrong you’d be surprised how well they would sell especially if they make it an iPad Air version with less specs to keep costs down for consumers who don’t need all the bells and whistles of the Pro models. Young generations would be all over a 16 inch iPad instead of 16 inch MacBook
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    crofford said:
    I’ve said for years that I want a 65” iPad. The only thing that’s changed is I’d now like it to be 85” please. 
    It’s seems that your arms are getting longer?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    tht said:
    Yeah. Makes you wonder if the rumormongers are just confusing these iPad displays for Macbook Pro 14 and 16 displays.
    That seems extremely unlikely.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    This makes sense now. The minor updates with mainly moving to the M2 chip tells me they are attempting to have everything on M2 before January. There may be an unrevealed feature required to run apps compatible with rOS.  If they announce a headset in January, Integrations and app compatibility will be required. 

I also believe Apple has been laying a foundation for a convertible Tablet that can dynamically switch between Mac OS and iPad OS depending on how it’s being used, attached accessories, like a keyboard and mouse, and user preference. 

The work to bring interface behaviors and features to some parity and the ability to not only more easily port iPad apps to the Mac, but to natively run those apps natively via a universal binary seems to point to a move in this direction.  

Add in Continuity running between OS versions on device and you have a hybrid that is an iPad when you pick it up and a Mac when you add a wireless keyboard and mouse. 

Foldable maybe?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    For the people that says this form factor is kind of large, I think this gets into more tablet use on a table top, and of course you could hold this thing, but for reference, just think about holding your 16 inch MacBook Pro screen.

this will cater to people that need the largest touchscreen possible, and people that love large devices.
    watto_cobra