Apple 'destroys dreams' says Telegram, as it shuts down monetization plans

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    It’s not a tax
    watto_cobrajeffharris
  • Reply 22 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Given that Telegram is a cesspool of scammers and charlatans, I’m glad that Apple’s standing their ground on this. Telegram has done nothing to stop this behaviour and now they want you to supply them with information about your credit cards etc?

Put me in support of Apple please.
    If that is the case doesn't Apple fast become like Facebook that seems to only exist to materially benefit from crime? 
  • Reply 23 of 27
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Telegram's CEO has announced that the company is canceling its monetization plans, saying it would work outside of the App Store rules, following objections from Apple.

Telegram
    Telegram

Pavel Durov posted on his Telegram channel on October 28 that Apple wasn't happy with the company's plan to let content creators monetize their posts that used Telegram's payment system instead of Apple's. He also called on regulators to take action.
    Unfortunately, we received word from Apple that they were not happy with content creators monetizing their efforts without paying a 30% tax to Apple. Since Apple has complete control over its ecosystem, we had no alternative but to disable such paid posts on iOS devices.
    This is just another example of how a trillion-dollar monopoly abuses its market dominance at the expense of millions of users who are trying to monetize their own content. I hope that the regulators in the EU, India and elsewhere start taking action before Apple destroys more dreams and crushes more entrepreneurs with a tax that is higher than any government-levied VAT.
    The full message can be found on Durov's Telegram channel.

Telegram's plan

A report on Thursday had revealed Telegram's plan to let users charge others to view certain messages by way of a "donate bot" and pay-to-view service offered by a third-party.

A person noticed on Twitter that Telegram had begun quietly rolling out the feature to a few channels. Some users implemented "third-party payment bots," according to Durov, to receive close to 100% of whatever their subscribers paid.

The action goes against Apple's rules, which state that developers must use Apple's system for in-app purchases. Telegram says it will work to offer its users other ways to monetize content outside of Apple's ecosystem.

Read on AppleInsider
    I expect tons of similar Whitney posts from Elon when Apple crushes his twitter plans - then he will announce he’s making a Tesla Phone.
    killroy
  • Reply 24 of 27
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    genovelle said:
    DAalseth said:
    This 30% Apple Tax on stuff not related to the AppleStore or Apple Servers is going to come back and bite Apple in the a**. 
    It’s all related to Apple’s servers and API’s. It’s why they need Apple to begin with. Otherwise it could function on their servers and be accessed within their own secure browser. Use Apple technology marketing and 50 years of goodwill, you pay for it. Use your own and Apple will happily allow you to have a browser based app to access you servers. 

Another way of looking at it is, Apple is partnering or investing in companies of all sizes by providing them with a fully furnished worldwide store front, the tools to make their products, the warehouse to store unlimited amounts of products, the bandwidth to stream or transmit data, manage security on their apps, and possibly manage the support of those products. All of this for $99 per year ($8.25 per  month) in rent.  

The simple agreement is that if you make money from using these resources, Apple l makes money.  Currently, 15% of non-recurring purchases and subscriptions for companies making less than a million dollars per year and 30% for million+ enterprises on single purchases and first year subscriptions. These drop to 15% after that first year. 

Developers that offer a free app or invests in their own platform pay a whopping $0.

That's a stupid way of looking at it.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple could charge devs 99.999% on purchases through their store and it wouldn't be a problem IF AND ONLY IF they let me install whatever software I choose on MY iPhone.

And THAT is what needs to happen.  Apple needs to be forced to allow app installation from whatever source the owner chooses.  Do that, and they can keep their 30%.  I'd rather install apps from developers' web sites than from Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    darkvader said:
    genovelle said:
    DAalseth said:
    This 30% Apple Tax on stuff not related to the AppleStore or Apple Servers is going to come back and bite Apple in the a**. 
    It’s all related to Apple’s servers and API’s. It’s why they need Apple to begin with. Otherwise it could function on their servers and be accessed within their own secure browser. Use Apple technology marketing and 50 years of goodwill, you pay for it. Use your own and Apple will happily allow you to have a browser based app to access you servers. 

Another way of looking at it is, Apple is partnering or investing in companies of all sizes by providing them with a fully furnished worldwide store front, the tools to make their products, the warehouse to store unlimited amounts of products, the bandwidth to stream or transmit data, manage security on their apps, and possibly manage the support of those products. All of this for $99 per year ($8.25 per  month) in rent.  

The simple agreement is that if you make money from using these resources, Apple l makes money.  Currently, 15% of non-recurring purchases and subscriptions for companies making less than a million dollars per year and 30% for million+ enterprises on single purchases and first year subscriptions. These drop to 15% after that first year. 

Developers that offer a free app or invests in their own platform pay a whopping $0.

That's a stupid way of looking at it.

As far as I'm concerned, Apple could charge devs 99.999% on purchases through their store and it wouldn't be a problem IF AND ONLY IF they let me install whatever software I choose on MY iPhone.

And THAT is what needs to happen.  Apple needs to be forced to allow app installation from whatever source the owner chooses.  Do that, and they can keep their 30%.  I'd rather install apps from developers' web sites than from Apple.
    That's one of the most stupid comment from you in quite awhile.

If developers had to pay Apple  99% of their revenue made through the Apple App Store, then there would be no developers developing apps for iOS, for you (or anyone else) to choose from. That a little selfish of you, don't you think? 

But if you counter that you can develop your own apps to install on to iOS on YOUR iPhone, then you can do that right now. Pay $99 for a developer account and use Xcode to sign and install whatever apps you develop on YOUR iPhone. Nothing is stopping you. Xcode is not that hard to learn. Easy to follow instructions can be found by googling. Even Apple support sites will help and answer questions. If you don't have the know how to develop your own apps, there are plenty of sources for the deb and IPA files needed to create an iOS app on the internet, that can be use with Xcode to sign and install on to YOUR iPhone. The app might not be allowed into the Apple App Store, but what do you care, so long as you can install the app onto YOUR iPhone.  

You are just making a fool of yourself here. There are plenty of developers on this forum that have no problem signing and installing whatever apps they want on to their iPhones, iPads and Apple TV's, without compromising the security of iOS, for just $99 a year.  Or you do what 1% of iOS users do. Jailbreak YOUR iPhone and install whatever apps you want on YOUR iPhone, for free and risk compromising the security of iOS. But if Apple were to allow side loading on iOS, then the security of IOS will be compromised anyway.

BTW- you can sign up for a free Apple developer account and install whatever apps you want on to YOUR iPhone (using Xcode) but you have to sign and re-install the app every 7 days. Along with some other limitations. 

This from an Apple developer support site ......

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/71283

So quite wasting time on this forum and go for it. Apple is not stopping you from installing whatever app you want, on to YOUR iPhone. 
    edited October 2022
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Durov is the guy who lied and claimed he had no idea why app review for a Telegram update was taking longer than usual, and then it came out that they ripped off Apple’s IP to make “animated emoji” and this had been clearly communicated to them.

Apple only has 15% marketshare. That is not a monopoly.

But, but, but... they have 100% of the Apple market, so they are an Apple monopoly!  Why can't you people understand how horrendous this situation is!

/s
    killroyjony0