Musk tells Twitter engineers to bring Vine back from the dead

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,036member
    Skeptical said:
    I detest this guy with the heat of a thousand white hot suns. 
    For your consideration: A thoughtful piece on Musk. 
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/31/elon-musk-twitter-trump-tesla-longtermism
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    ophello said:
    DAalseth said:
    So he wants this done, and reports are he’s going to fire most of the staff, and this isn’t the only nearly impossible task he wants the programmers to do, and he’s fired the CEO and the board and is running the place single handedly. 

Oh this is going to end badly LMAO
    Well this is just false. He has already brought in a team of engineers to help. Furthermore, he's not firing useful people. There were 10 managers for every one coder. Elon Musk knows how to create and run extremely efficient companies. And to argue otherwise is either due to overwhelming ignorance, or just plain hatred of Musk. So which one are you?
    It's pretty easy to argue otherwise. Musk's "extremely efficient" electric car company is...just another electric car company now. Old school car companies are producing vehicles that are just as good or better than Tesla. And new school car companies are producing vehicles that are just as good or better than Tesla. 
    tmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    danox said:
    DAalseth said:
    ophello said:
    DAalseth said:
    So he wants this done, and reports are he’s going to fire most of the staff, and this isn’t the only nearly impossible task he wants the programmers to do, and he’s fired the CEO and the board and is running the place single handedly. 

Well this is just false. He has already brought in a team of engineers to help. Furthermore, he's not firing useful people. There were 10 managers for every one coder. Elon Musk knows how to create and run extremely efficient companies. And to argue otherwise is either due to overwhelming ignorance, or just plain hatred of Musk. So which one are you?
    Musk WAS a brilliant entrepreneur, not engineer, entrepreneur. He always hires people to do the hard technical heavy lifting. He has however fallen for the common trap that a lot of rich/famous people fall into. He has started to believe he can’t fail. He’s started to believe his own publicity.  You know how it says on every prospectus, “Prior performance does not guarantee future results”, well that’s the case with every new venture. In this case Musk is going into something he doesn’t know anything about, is a mess, and has at best barely made a profit. He’s bringing in a bunch of engineers who will take how long to get up to speed on the systems? They are not interchangeable parts, even the best take some time to learn the systems, but he’s showing signs of trying to get rid of the old ones before they cost him some money. That means the moral of the remaining staff will drop through the floor. I suspect the best and brightest are already sending out feelers for new positions. So he will have a green staff, without the really capable people to teach them how to work the system, and vague plans to revolutionize the it. Then with his history, especially in recent years, those plans will be revised regularly giving them a moving target. There are already rumbling from the user base that he’s going to destroy Twitter so any move he makes will be greeted with howls of protest. Couple that with the plans he’s talked about that are self contradictory, and in some cases impossible, and you have something I wouldn’t bet on. 

I USED to have a lot of respect for Musk. His erratic behaviour and stupid statements in recent years have caused myself, and a lot of other people to lose that respect. We’ll see if he can pull this rabbit out, but I suspect, win or lose, he will spend a hell of a lot more than he already has in trying to do so.
     Going to war with tech people at Twitter won’t work out, if you need to make changes do so quietly with some respect, oops too late…… 
    There is some shitposting on the intertubes to the effect that Apple and its privacy mania are to blame for Twitter not making any money, and hence forced the idiotic response by Chief Twat Elmo to charge verified users a $20 monthly subscription fee.

More popcorn please...
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    tmay said:
    danox said:
    DAalseth said:
    ophello said:
    DAalseth said:

Musk WAS a brilliant entrepreneur, not engineer, entrepreneur. He always hires people to do the hard technical heavy lifting. He has however fallen for the common trap that a lot of rich/famous people fall into. He has started to believe he can’t fail. He’s started to believe his own publicity.  You know how it says on every prospectus, “Prior performance does not guarantee future results”, well that’s the case with every new venture. In this case Musk is going into something he doesn’t know anything about, is a mess, and has at best barely made a profit. He’s bringing in a bunch of engineers who will take how long to get up to speed on the systems? They are not interchangeable parts, even the best take some time to learn the systems, but he’s showing signs of trying to get rid of the old ones before they cost him some money. That means the moral of the remaining staff will drop through the floor. I suspect the best and brightest are already sending out feelers for new positions. So he will have a green staff, without the really capable people to teach them how to work the system, and vague plans to revolutionize the it. Then with his history, especially in recent years, those plans will be revised regularly giving them a moving target. There are already rumbling from the user base that he’s going to destroy Twitter so any move he makes will be greeted with howls of protest. Couple that with the plans he’s talked about that are self contradictory, and in some cases impossible, and you have something I wouldn’t bet on. 

I USED to have a lot of respect for Musk. His erratic behaviour and stupid statements in recent years have caused myself, and a lot of other people to lose that respect. We’ll see if he can pull this rabbit out, but I suspect, win or lose, he will spend a hell of a lot more than he already has in trying to do so.
     Going to war with tech people at Twitter won’t work out, if you need to make changes do so quietly with some respect, oops too late…… 
    There is some shitposting on the intertubes to the effect that Apple and its privacy mania are to blame for Twitter not making any money, and hence forced the idiotic response by Chief Twat Elmo to charge verified users a $20 monthly subscription fee.

More popcorn please...