Apple breaks silence on iPhone 14 Pro impact from COVID

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2022
Apple has finally confirmed that the Foxconn assembly facility in Zhengzhou, China responsible for iPhone 14 Pro production has reduced its output following a regional COVID-19 outbreak.

Foxconn
Foxconn

Since late October, reports surrounding Foxconn's Zhengzhou factory has detailed the impact and changes made at the facility to counter an outbreak of the coronavirus. Late on Sunday, Apple has finally admitted there's a problem at the assembly plant.

"COVID-19 restrictions have temporarily impacted the primary iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max assembly facility located in Zhengzhou, China," Apple posted in a rare Sunday press release. "The facility is currently operating at significantly reduced capacity."

Apple adds it continues to "see strong demand" for the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max models, "however, we now expect lower iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max shipments than we previously anticipated and customers will experience longer wait times to receive their new products."

"As we have done so throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we are prioritizing the health and safety of the workers in our supply chain," Apple notes, and that it is "working closely" with Foxconn to try and return to normal production levels while keeping workers safe.

The Sunday confirmation of news reports about the facility is rare for Apple on a number of levels. It doesn't typically respond to rumors or stories about its suppliers nor its products, and when it does offer comment, it's via a small confirmation to the media rather than a press release.

Apple also doesn't typically refer to the demand of its products outside of its quarterly results and analyst conference call. Furthermore, it's also rare to see Apple pass comment on events on a Sunday.

While reports of an outbreak at the Foxconn facility have been frequent, detailing the conditions and attempts by some employees to flee the factory, Apple's statement confirms the situation is serious enough to warrant comment by the iPhone maker itself.

Since the outbreak, Foxconn has traversed to a "closed loop" production process, which limits the contact of workers in the facility with the outside world. The policy also prompted changes such as closing canteen access and making workers eat in dormitories to minimize any viral spread.

After reports claiming there wasn't enough food and drink available alongside other supplies, as well as employees deciding to leave the factory, Foxconn worked to counter the issues.

The changes included bringing more supplies to the factory, as well as considerably increasing the level of daily bonuses to encourage people to stay.

It is thought that the lack of food and supplies was caused by Foxconn having no choice but to follow government directives, forcing the situation to occur.

Read on AppleInsider
odedo1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Glad we both have ours already….whew…
    ramanpfaffwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Mine is already on it way so I heard and hoping that it’s true. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Early this year it is Shanghai. Now it is Zhengzhou. Chinese government is forced to alter its Covid policy. 
  • Reply 4 of 29
    JP234 said:
    I can wait. I worked for Apple in purchasing for 12 years, and never quite got why people would camp out overnight to be the first to get a shiny new Apple product. Sure, they do a great job of pumping demand. But I can make do with my previous gen devices for a month or two.
    Many people buy new iPhone as early as possible. Because they have a special purpose using the iPhone. 
  • Reply 5 of 29
    JP234 said:
    I can wait. I worked for Apple in purchasing for 12 years, and never quite got why people would camp out overnight to be the first to get a shiny new Apple product. Sure, they do a great job of pumping demand. But I can make do with my previous gen devices for a month or two.
    Many people buy new iPhone as early as possible. Because they have a special purpose using the iPhone. 
    What!?!?!  People’s buy new iPhones because they want to be the first to have them. 
  • Reply 6 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    JP234 said:
    They have a special purpose for the iPhone 14 that the iPhone 13 couldn't handle??? 
  • Reply 7 of 29
    The results of complete consumerism that we "need" the latest gadget are very evident. The folks here in the USA do not see the working conditions so they think all is well as long as their new gadget gets to them ASAP. Nearly slave like conditions are out of sight and thus out of mind. 
  • Reply 8 of 29
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    I can't see why Apple isn't actively engaged with the Chinese government to persuade them to allow the Pfizer vaccine and with Pfizer to acquire about 350,000 doses at-a-time to get everyone at Foxconn vaccinated.  Like, three months ago! 
    edited November 2022
  • Reply 9 of 29
    I can't see why Apple isn't actively engaged with the Chinese government to persuade them to allow the Pfizer vaccine and with Pfizer to acquire about 350,000 doses at-a-time to get everyone at Foxconn vaccinated.  Like, three months ago! 
    Yeah, let's get those factory workers vaccinated, vaccinated, vaccinated, and more vaccinated, so they can get ill with SARS-CoV2 and transmit it. 

House arrest is not the way to go, unless they want to punish the workers.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    JP234 said:
    Skeptical said:
    JP234 said:
    What!?!?!  People’s buy new iPhones because they want to be the first to have them. 
    That. And after a week or two, it's always, "What's next?"
    There are scalpers. 
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Early this year it is Shanghai. Now it is Zhengzhou. Chinese government is forced to alter its Covid policy. 
    Except they're not. One thing the Xi dynasty is not noted for is changing its mind, evidence for doing so notwithstanding.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    gatorguy said:
    JP234 said:
    They have a special purpose for the iPhone 14 that the iPhone 13 couldn't handle??? 
    I think you don't get it. Some people need a dynamic island; a static one just won't do!
    avon b7
  • Reply 13 of 29
    sunman42 said:
    Except they're not. One thing the Xi dynasty is not noted for is changing its mind, evidence for doing so notwithstanding.
    Xi is not alone. Biden, Putin seldom change their mind too. 
  • Reply 14 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    gatorguy said:
    JP234 said:
    Flashing a new phone around, of any brand, is radarthekat said:
    Xi believes that reliance on Western medicine will be seen as a failure of his Government, hence why China is still fucking around with their own mRNA vaccine, as their Sinovac vaccine is decidedly ineffective in comparison to Western mRNA vaccines.
    blastdoor
  • Reply 15 of 29
    With over a billion citizens and slaves, the losses of a few hundred thousand lives is no big deal to the Chinese government. They need the test subjects for their failing medical trials....????
  • Reply 16 of 29
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,341member
    Xi and Putin are authoritarians, so they never have to change their minds, but if they ever did, you wouldn't know about it because their wouldn't be any history of the change.

A sitting U.S. President has to resolve governance with two major parties, the Supreme Court, Congress and the Senate, independent States, and often, foreign governments,  so not the same at all.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 17 of 29
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    Still plenty of shutdowns to be had in authoritative governments, as though they haven’t figured out what the rest of the first world already has: Covid-19 was no deadlier than the flu, shutdowns didn’t work, and the vaccine isn’t. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 29
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    But everyone here said the other reports were a false narrative and they same the same thing every year. Is it still fake if Apple states it?
    avon b7tyler82
  • Reply 19 of 29
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    JP234 said:
    Flashing a new phone around, of any brand, is radarthekat said:
    Xi believes that reliance on Western medicine will be seen as a failure of his Government, hence why China is still fucking around with their own mRNA vaccine, as their Sinovac vaccine is decidedly ineffective in comparison to Western mRNA vaccines.
    Exactly. Also, I suspect apple is discovering they have far less influence with the Chinese government than they did back in 2010. The ‘good old days’ are gone for as long as Xi is in power. 
  • Reply 20 of 29
    It's really time for Apple to put the time and money into developing robotic manufacturing. Robots don't get sick or not show up to work. They could even do this here in the States. Robots don't have salaries and they don't unionize.
    edited November 2022 radarthekat