NHL Playoffs 2003

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I knew it would happen. It's sad, but TOTALLY expected. The high powered Ottawa Senators get blanked 3-0 by the lowly Islanders. These guys are starting to remind me of the Flames in the late 80s/early 90s.

And Edmonton... nice win over the Stars. They've met in the first round 7 out of 8 years now. Dallas was starting to lose it in this game, the pesky Oilers getting under their skin. Going to be a long brutal series.

I think we'll have 2 major upsets here. Oilers and Islanders are going to advance.

Devils and Bruins - pretty much expected. Defence wins in the playoffs, and that's the Devil's game. Brodeur was unreal last night.

I know this isn't about the war, but I thought I'd try and get the topic rolling.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 259
    That Oilers game was awesome last nite! I cant believe the composure they showed, thats what got them the win. They outclassed Dallas into taking a stupid penalties. That is going to be an intense series and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes to 7 games (oil's gonna take it!).

Now how about them canucks, i cant wait for the game tonite. It should be a battle as well. I just hope the canucks were watching that Edmonton game because it was a composure clinic. The 'nucks are a serious contender this year and I would love to see them and the oil battle it out for the conference.

Image 4 canadian teams battling it out for the cup. I read an article about how much that would cost the big american networks, I mean there are fans for american and canadian teams in both countries (Im a beantown fan too) but the huge US tv market has a lot of fans that are not going to watch unless their team continues in the playoffs. But it would definitely dominate the canadian tv market!

I picked Philly-Van final. I guess we will have to wait and see. Remember its only been 1 game! Very exciting times, indeed.
  • Reply 2 of 259
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Devils and Bruins - pretty much expected. Defence wins in the playoffs, and that's the Devil's game. Brodeur was unreal last night.

Bordeur is on = Devils deep into post-season.
  • Reply 3 of 259
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Oilers, best small market team evar. Leafs, hmmm... if they get lucky they could do it. Ottawa? Pansies.
  • Reply 4 of 259
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Wild 4

Avs 2

GO WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 259
    (sigh)

I sense the Bruins will get swept. Murbot is correct, defense is what wins championships, and the Devils have superior goaltending and defense both.

So will end another Bruin's season. I'm not as huge a hockey fan as I am the the other 3 sports, but this is my team and I hate seeing them half-ass it every year. Bruins fans pay ungodly prices for tickets (highest ave price in the NHL) and their ownership is incredibly stingy (near the bottom of the league in payroll). Most people have already resigned themselves to the fact that Joe Thornton will not be resigned by this team, because he will simply cost too much for their taste.

But this whole financial thing is about to blow up in the NHL's face anyway. There WILL be a strike before the next season I think.
  • Reply 6 of 259
    Lockout not strike.

That's OK. NHL blows. College Hockey is where it is at anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 259
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Wow, 7 of 8 home teams lost their games. What an interesting play-offs this may turn out to be... .

• Reply 8 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

College Hockey is where it is at anyway.

*sniff* my team lost yesterday....
  • Reply 9 of 259
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Poor Red Wings... I watched that game from the third period on, what a game!! I can't believe the Ducks survived that first overtime, the Wings were just killing them. Giguere was the man last night.

(of COURSE we see another great performance from an ex-Flame....)

And those poor Canucks. Not much to say there besides *ouch*.

• Reply 10 of 259
    Quote:

*sniff* my team lost yesterday....

Cornell? Mine lost as well. Moron referee.
  • Reply 11 of 259
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Argento

Wild 4

Avs 2

GO WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, Go Avs and death to the Red Wings. Oh, and by the way its Wild: 1 and Avs: 3 as far as the series goes.
  • Reply 12 of 259
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Good call.

My god. The Wings ousted in 4 by the Ducks.

Giguere is just unbeatable right now. He looks like Ken Dryden in there, doesn't he? Of course it's yet ANOTHER Flame out there making a name for himself.

Grrrr.
  • Reply 13 of 259
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Good call.

My god. The Wings ousted in 4 by the Ducks.

I know. The entire Detroit-Metro Area are zombies today (both for the late night and the loss). Well, we won last year. I'm fully supporting and rooting for the Blues from now on.
  • Reply 14 of 259
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    And as a Canes fan... WHOO-FREAKIN-HOO!

Sorry, but I know a couple of Wings fans down here that were just *insufferable* last year after the finals, going on and on about how Detroit was a dynasty team that no one would take down in the foreseeable future, yadda yadda yadda...

Okay, so we didn't even make the playoffs, but we just fell apart this year in general.

This gives me at least a *little* satisfaction at the end of this crappy season.
  • Reply 15 of 259
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MGG

No, Go Avs and death to the Red Wings. Oh, and by the way its Wild: 1 and Avs: 3 as far as the series goes.

Yeah they're probably done, but when I posted orginally that was the score of game one, not the series prediction. Ahh well whatever they do, they mad it to the playoffs in only 3 years and won one, and not even at home. Either way it's a great year for them, whatever happens now.
  • Reply 16 of 259
    Go avs (period)
  • Reply 17 of 259
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Detroit is out! Ding dong the witch is dead!

Go Devils! (East)

Go Stars! (West)
  • Reply 18 of 259
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Devils owned the Bruins!

Stars Won too!

Jamie Langenbruner Rocks.
  • Reply 19 of 259
    Devils, Stars again?

Devils, of course, but I have to root for Anaheim, if only for Giguere.
  • Reply 20 of 259
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    CUUUU-JOoo, CUUUUU-JOoooo! Beaten by Sza Sza Gabor and the clucks!

Couldn't have happened to a better city. Have a nice summer boys.

Ottawa showed their true colors the last couple games. I don't think they're the [mental weaklings] people think they are. I bet they can take Philly or Toronto in 6, though a series win over the Leafs would put a lid on the second most arrogant group of fans in the league. Toronto is just Detroit in blue....

I still don't get how the stupid playoff format works now (you can no longer say 1 plays 8, winner plays winner of 2 vs. 7 - for example, Ottawa apparently might play not only Philly or Toronto, but possibly the winner of the Crapitals - Dolts series also. Anyone know the formula?

Biggest disappointment award though goes to Vancouver. At least the wings can say (legitimately "no one would've beaten the Ducks the way they're playing right now").

Right now the teams that look scariest are all out west except Ottawa, but it's going to be a great playoff year I think.