NHL Playoffs 2003

Comments

• Reply 81 of 259
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Patrick won't leave without another Cup if I had to guess. He still has the capability to win one. The plain fact is, despite the presence of Blake , Foote and Devries in the lineup, Colorado's defense is decidedly average. I said at the beginning of the year and I'll say it again, trading Drury for Morris was retarded. What they should've done was keep Kasparaitis and just let him play the way he normally plays. Sure you will take a few bad goals because his positioning can suck at times, but his presence and intimidation factor on the ice will more than make up for it.

Last year they tried to get that mean streak back with Kasparaitis, didn't work. This year they tried with Marchment. Didn't work. The reason it doesn't work is becaues Lacroix is not willing to let those kind of players loose; he forces them to conform to Colorado's system. That's useless with those kind of players. If you don't let Kaspar play his game and take runs at people once in a while he's worthless. That's where he gets his motivation / spark from -- big hits.

I am a big Colorado fan because I love their style of play. They have an edge to their game but are also fast-paced and exciting. None of the NZ trap bullcrap you see with teams like NJ or Minnesota. It works but that's not the way the NHL will win fans.

As for tonight's results all I can say is, YYYYYYeah baby! Go Canucks, Go Sens! I'm hoping for that All-Canadian final so I can watch Don Cherry every game.

• Reply 82 of 259
    finally, the Canucks have the lead, and keep it.

still not enough hitting to keep Cherry happy, tho.
  • Reply 83 of 259
    It's good to see that both Ottawa and Vancouver won tonight. Way to go!!!!
  • Reply 84 of 259
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    new jersey is through

canucks lead their series 3-1, same as anaheim

sens - flyers looks set to go seven
  • Reply 85 of 259
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No kidding about the Drury thing. Never made sense to me. Mr. Clutch. And neither Kasparaitis nor Marchmant are what Colorado needed. They needed another clause Lemieux, another Mr. Clutch/instigator/pest, not just a thug or loose canon.

w00t! Joisey in the Conference finals. See you Sens/Flyers after you stumble out of No Man's land in your inevitable game 7. question is, will it goto 50 overtimes or will Philly implode again? This isn't the same Philadelphia dysfunctional family as they had in past years, so I'm betting on the former.
  • Reply 86 of 259
    stars survive to play another day. ottawa moves ahead
  • Reply 87 of 259
    I'm just glad Vancouver gave themselves a chance to close it out at home tomorrow night. Each day we get a few steps closer to an all-Canadian final.... bwaaahhahahahahahahahaaa!

• Reply 88 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

I'm just glad Vancouver gave themselves a chance to close it out at home tomorrow night. Each day we get a few steps closer to an all-Canadian final.... bwaaahhahahahahahahahaaa!

You know Moogs, it just might happen. I would love to see a Vancouver/Ottawa final and it would be the first all Canadian final since Calgary/Montreal in 1989. BTW, where are ya from?
  • Reply 89 of 259
    canucks will close it out tonight. (hope cbc shows the anthem)

ottawa and anaheim may also send their rivals to the golf course.
  • Reply 90 of 259
    OS X Addict: south of the border (unfortunately so I think sometimes, but every country has its share of bullcrap to put up with). I am a big fan of the Canucks and like Ottawa quite a bit also. My main reasons for rooting for the Canadian teams is three-fold:

1. It's great to see small market GMs / teams kick ass.

2. Canadian fans deserve another Cup (but not in Montreal).

3. I love the style of play: physical without any NZ trap crap, and fast-paced at the same time.

As for tonight, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

• Reply 91 of 259
    Quote:

OS X Addict: south of the border (unfortunately so I think sometimes, but every country has its share of bullcrap to put up with). I am a big fan of the Canucks and like Ottawa quite a bit also. My main reasons for rooting for the Canadian teams is three-fold:

1. It's great to see small market GMs / teams kick ass.

2. Canadian fans deserve another Cup (but not in Montreal).

3. I love the style of play: physical without any NZ trap crap, and fast-paced at the same time.

As for tonight, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Well Ottawa is winning 2-0 already.
  • Reply 92 of 259
    4-1 with 20 to play now...

...couldn't happen to a better team / city / bunch of fans. Philthy is on my most-despised list. Now that Ken Hitchcock is there (who knows about next year), they're even less likeable.
  • Reply 93 of 259
    I only hold the fans against the Flyers. Worst fans just about anywhere (of course that's arguable). Another implosion in Philly., 5-1 final. i'm going to have a lot of fun on Friday when I see the Flyers clique again.

Hey, Moogs, if you hate the trap, you can't rightfully root for the Sens, can ya?

The NJ/Ottowa series is going to be pretty amazing.
  • Reply 94 of 259
    ottawa is through

i think they'll beat NJ but it will take 7

(suitably exhausted for my Canucks to thrash)
  • Reply 95 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Hey, Moogs, if you hate the trap, you can't rightfully root for the Sens, can ya?

The NJ/Ottowa series is going to be pretty amazing.

Well every team traps at some point when they get a lead in an important situation, but some teams employ the trap pretty much from 1-0 and it really blows IMO. The teams most notorious for it are the Devils, anyone coached by Ken Hitchock and now the Wild too. At least Lemaire has an excuse (lack of defensive depth and size).

Ottawa has a pretty suffocating defense too when they get a big lead but their style is so offensively oriented that it makes up for it a bit.

Next on tonight's hit parade is Vancouver hopefully. They've tied it after 1 on a wicked shot by Naslund. Hopefully they can get a couple more and hold on for the big W tonight.
  • Reply 96 of 259
    Quote:

At least Lemaire has an excuse (lack of defensive depth and size).

Where do you think they all learned it? Remember the Canadiens of old yore? In the Pre-Gretsky, pre-"no forwards play defense and only half the densemen" era? Back when hockey was a complete effort... again.

Well, 5-1, Wild. I'dd venture to say there will be a game 6.
  • Reply 97 of 259
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i wonder if they're gonna drug test 'em when this one's over.

GO WILD!
  • Reply 98 of 259
    Whoa. One hell of a no-goal.
  • Reply 99 of 259
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

canucks will close it out tonight. (hope cbc shows the anthem)

ottawa and anaheim may also send their rivals to the golf course.

**** NO!!! GO WILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 100 of 259
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    7-2

i think the Wild have this one tied up well.