NHL Playoffs 2003

Comments

• Reply 181 of 259
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'm starting to wonder if two 7 game series, back to back, coming from way down is just too much for them.

they don't look like they same team at all. (except for that first game)

the fire/heart is gone.
  • Reply 182 of 259
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i'm starting to wonder if two 7 game series, back to back, coming from way down is just too much for them.

they don't look like they same team at all. (except for that first game)

the fire/heart is gone.

I agree, they are not the same team. Maybe Gigeure has gotten into their head. However, it would rreally suck for the Wild if they lost the series without scoring a goal.
  • Reply 183 of 259
    Has that ever happened before? Not that I can recall, anyway. That would be just unreal if they go an entire series without a goal. I'd love it. It's not like they're not giving up chances either - Gaborik on a breakaway from his own blueline, good one-timers from the slot - the man is just in the zone.
  • Reply 184 of 259
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    JSG is friggin amazing right now. Where did this guy come from?? Tony Twist used to call this guy "Shza Shza Gabor" on NHL 2 Night for cryin out loud!

The Wild are not getting shut out; they're getting utterly stoned, and I don't mean that in a happy happy fun-time sorta way.

• Reply 185 of 259
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Sort of uneven game tonight. Devils are more or less leaving nothing to the Sens in the neutral zone. Still, they are giving up some turnovers. It's 1-0 Devils, but it should be interesting if the Sens tie it or worse, win it, given the non-goal in the 1st.
  • Reply 186 of 259
    I don't think the Senators have been down in any of their series yet have they? This will test their mettle / resolve a little bit now. We'll see how they respond. Every champion should have to come from behind at some point. Even the Ducks got behind Dallas at one point didn't they?\\

...can't believe I'm actually saying that. This whole Ducks thing still shocks me.
  • Reply 187 of 259
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    wait, i'm getting a vision from the future...

it's June 12, 2003, around 21:15 ET

podium announcer is opening an envelope

seems to be a hall full of sharply dressed, happy people

an amplified voice introduces to loud applause

Conn Smythe Trophy: (Most Valuable Player in the Stanley Cup Playoffs)

goes to ... Jean Sebastian Giguere!!!

the vision fades as JS get backslapped by all the players he walks past...

on his vacated chair, the newspaper is open to the lotto results...

*me quickly looks for evidence of winning June #s... 9 13 21 2- noooo*
  • Reply 188 of 259
    Wasn't Ron Hextall the last Conn Smythe winner who did't play on the Stanley Cup winning team? I think Giggy might be next in that lineage.
  • Reply 189 of 259
    I think he was...

I think the Ducks have enough confidence and poise at this point that they could beat either NJ or Ottawa, though I don't think they'd do it in less than 6 in either case -- probably 7.
  • Reply 190 of 259
    I think they have the confidence and poise, but not the physical ability... yet. I think Ottowa will have a harder time of it just because the Ducks, at least in the playoffs, seem to match up pretty well. NJ would too except that their defense is just that much better, just enough to make each game terribly hard for the Ducks to win. As in any series, though, if the Cup series goes to a game 7, all bets are off.
  • Reply 191 of 259
    i was about to ask the trivia gods which, if any, tenders have had shutout sweep series, but it's actually 1-1 in the first period now.

Minnesota bookies must be relieved.
  • Reply 192 of 259
    The game is totally unpredictable. No one seems to be in control or playing the game they like, though that might favor Gaborik or Kariya just as well. That's the other thing about the West teams: unlike the Devils or Senators, they're basically dependent on one line for offense. It's amazing they've gotten this far when they're a one line team in that respect, at least on paper.
  • Reply 193 of 259
    Ducks win!

Steve Thomas breaks his Cup Final cherry after 19 years of playoff hockey
  • Reply 194 of 259
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    Go Ducks Go! As a Canadian, I know I should cheer for the Sens, but I can't, I have an undying hatred for Ottawa and their hockey team. Prediction: Ducks/Devis in the final. Scott Stevens will dismember Kariya in the second game. Ducks will win in six. Stumpy Thomas will win it in OT becuase he is the Lord of Overtime.
  • Reply 195 of 259
    Devils are pulling away... 5-2 8 minutes into the 3rd
  • Reply 196 of 259
    Anyone wanna place bets as to whether Ottawa can come back from 3-1? I think they're done. The wind is completely out of their sails. I think the next game is in Ottawa; if the fans don't make some friggin noise (the one fault I hold against said fans) it could be trouble. Without the sixth man, there is no real home ice advantage.
  • Reply 197 of 259
    I think the snes could take game 5 anyway. I think Lalime or maybe Alfredsen could steal a game. It's unlikely they'll win game six but if they do, game seven is a free-for-all.
  • Reply 198 of 259
    The Sens have no soul. They were finished when they lost game three. Ottawa has as much chance to come back from a 3-1 deficit as the Ducks have of resigning Giggy once his contract expires. Later Ottawa and good riddance.

Side-note: The Sens have the worst fans ever and do not deserve a team-the NHL should move the team to Quebec or Winnipeg.
  • Reply 199 of 259
    You apparently haven't met the good folks in Atlanta. Thrasher fans are pathetic.

Also: Panther fans and Blackhawk fans are pretty pitiful. The last one is hard to swallow being from the Chicago area but the United Center prices are so high - and the owner such a complete DICKHEAD (trades away our best player every year and refuses to allow Fox to televise home games, in order to coerce more ticket sales) - that the real fans are never there. Pretty sad state of affairs for an original six team.

Crapital fans are "fair weather faithful" as well. I love that they pay Jagr 11M a year....

• Reply 200 of 259
    Well, Philly and Boston fans are complete assholes however quite faithful and enthusiastic. They would be great if they didn't take it all way too seriously. Did anyone catch the Sixers' playoff game the other night? The fans all chanting "asshole" to the ref. In Boston they chant "wife beater" to Kidd of the Nets. Eagles fans cheered a serious neck injury to Michael Irvin a few years ago. Those episodes pretty much typify those cities' fans.

On the other hand, New Jersey fans are few and pretty far between. They also have a good number of fair-weather friends, but not that many even then. They certainly dont have fans outside the area. I was at the ESPN zone for game 6 of the Avs/Devils series a couple of years ago, and no one was cheering for the Devils just an hour from NJ (OK, two hours from the Devils' fanbase -- sourth Jersey is all Flyers fans). The fans they do have are mostly good fans but it's damn hard to get them up the Turnpike every evening. There's always a good number of fans that don't know the game very well, but they are getting better. These playoffs seem to have a better contingent in the NJ stands.