Is AppleInsider the best, or what?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have the impression that plenty of the members posting regularly when I first came here, say, 7 months ago, are now gone, or have dropped their posting to a small trickle. EmAn might be a notable example. What's the matter here? Have all of them taken their business elsewhere? Is there some other forum that rulez these days? A life maybe? I don't think so. Anyway. Anybody know what's up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

A life maybe?

Bingo!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Hmmm, I don't really know. I haven't noticed.

But your thread title sure does not match up with your post.

I thought I was coming to a "here's why AppleInsider is so damn cool..." thread.

• Reply 3 of 39
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    The doubt, induced by myself having great fun flaming around all of these fora, and the bare fact that many old faces are no longer here. I'm kind of looking for some reassuring, soothing words, telling me AppleInsider isn't done for just yet. I kind of got a liking for this place.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Oh. Well, it's getting to be springtime too, so probably lots of "regulars" are outside, staying out longer, doing sports or hobbies, etc. after such a long, harsh winter.

Baseball season has kicked in, you know. Parks, lakes, biking, etc.

I'm betting that's a big part of it. Probably does this every year about this time.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'd venture to guess that the younger the members here, the more of them that are gone. The kids all have baseball, tennis, and other sports to play. The young'uns have hot dates, dances, and proms to participate in. The whipper-snappers are all starting summer jobs so they have something to do after school ends.

We who remain are the old boring folks who have "real jobs" and no social lives.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    My character is steeped in grief over things passed.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    People come and people go. I(nterne)t is the same as real life except that it is different.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Lately I just haven't been spending much time going to websites and stuff like this anymore. Also, baseball season started so I'm usually busy watching the Mets games every night. Another thing is I've been driving quite a bit now that I'm 16. Overall, stuff's just been taking up my time so my AI time has been decreasing.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Two Words: Car Lab
  • Reply 10 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EmAn

Lately I just haven't been spending much time going to websites and stuff like this anymore. Also, baseball season started so I'm usually busy watching the Mets games every night. Another thing is I've been driving quite a bit now that I'm 16. Overall, stuff's just been taking up my time so my AI time has been decreasing.

Congratulations for breaking your own personal record for the longest post EVER. 4 sentences. Impressive!

Good to hear from you, though.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've never been a really big poster but I kinda am... I've been registered for nearly a year now (I registered in late April 2002, around the time the 800 MHz PowerBook G4 was released). And I have over 1400 posts. But I dunno, I don't feel like I'm posting here ALL the time, I usually go in sprees. Sometimes I don't visit AI at all, sometimes I'm really bored and it's all I do.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Firstly I am no major poster as you can tell from my Post count.

I really used to spend alot of time on this site, and truely valued alot of what went on here, but people move on, in reality its very hard to find time every day to visit, read posts and reply etc.

Most of my online time is spent over at Moutain Bike Review Techtalks where its a little more interesting etc to me..

Actually come to think of it and I almost hate to say it, I really dont find Appleinsider as interesting as I used to!
  • Reply 13 of 39
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

Actually come to think of it and I almost hate to say it, I really dont find Appleinsider as interesting as I used to!

This is true. There hasn't been anything interesting to talk about lately. All the PPC970 topics are old, and most other threads.... boring.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I think people are board after the Creation / Evolution thread I started a while back

JUST KIDDING!!

I enjoy AI... Some great folks here!

Fellows
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Great sig, Fellowship

And, oh yes, they most certainly are.
  • Reply 16 of 39

For some reason it comes off in your voice, Dale. Maybe that's just me.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Fireside Chat and stuff like the recent political bickering in AppleOutsider has scared off a few members.

Others simply have gotten too busy or disinterested to participate.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

For some reason it comes off in your voice, Dale. Maybe that's just me.

Hugs Shawn and pscates and suggests "we all can get along" hahahaha

Fellows
  • Reply 19 of 39
    I think the two biggest reasons are:

a) Students busy with classes and such...its getting towards finals

b) A dearth of new Apple stuff to discuss

To say we've beaten a dead horse when it comes to the PPC 970 would be an understatement. I don't often post in the technically oriented threads because I usually don't feel like I have the knowledge to contribute something worthwhile to the discussions at hand....I'm not an IT professional or a programmer or an electrical/computer engineer.

It is an interesting time to be an Apple consumer. We stand on the brink of a huge step forward (we hope) and we'll have plenty to chew on after the WWDC I imagine. Don't fear! I have lurked in several fora since I got my PowerBook and started really following Apple, and I can safely say that this one is the best. That's why I registered .
  • Reply 20 of 39
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Wherre's Gelding?

methinks perhaps the war made people think such flipant flinging of "convictions" (AO) in a time of organized killing is perhaps inapropriate . . .and a bit shallow