Apple has two big CarPlay problems

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    You’ve definitely hit on a hot subject based on the number of responses. I hope Apple checks out websites like this to monitor public opinion, pro and con. 
    watto_cobraappleuseryeah
  • Reply 42 of 72
    DAalseth said:
    I also have a gripe which should be a third "pain point" in this article.  Issue is with people who bought first gen carplay vehicles when the technology was introduced.  I have a Honda Accord 2016 and carplay was fine for the first few years.... My car has had ZERO software updates from Honda.  I've been through a few iPhones and several iOS updates since owning the car.  In the last 3-4 years I've had nothing but problems.  Android OS crashes, carplay freezing, carplay disconnecting, etc.  I've opened cases with Honda (while under warranty), and the issues can't be duplicated at the dealership.  I've provided screenshots and videos from my experience.  Honda blames Apple, Apple blames Honda.  There are literally hundreds of forum posts about this and in the end, the customer loses out.  Overall, its been a very underwhelming experience.  Sometimes when carplay freezes it messes up my entire infotainment system.  I have to pull over and turn off car and turn back on. 

I know this is a huge PTA, and something that Apple/Honda should be fixing. I understand that and completely sympathize.
    But TBH as a former IT Tech the fact that you have to fix the issue by “turning it off and turning it back on again”, I find rather amusing. 

Yes... I am a current IT Network Engineer and find it amusing that you cannot reboot the operating system while car is on (even in park for example).  It could happen again shortly after the reboot.  Carplay has been beyond a frustrating experience. 
    I used to have Mazda CX5 SUV and when the navigation going nuts (like freeze, blank screen or partial green screen), I had to park somewhere, shut off the engine and restart in order to reboot infotainment. My current car is Mercedes GLC300 and sometimes when the navigation freezes, it reboots itself after 5 min without parking car and shutting off engine. I wonders if the rest of modern cars work the same way.

LOL yeah I've had that green screen before.  Carplay has been so unpredictable and unreliable.  I can go on a three hour trip and it works flawlessly then on another where it freezes, or android errors pop up and my displays start flashing, etc.  Such a frustrating experience.
    I’m curious why you think the issue is with CarPlay and not with your car’s system. I use CarPlay almost daily and have had the system crash and reboot, but meanwhile my phone is working just fine. Not to mention, the system has crashed and rebooted when I’m not using CarPlay so, clearly in that case CarPlay isn’t the cause of the crash.  

I'm not saying the issue is with Carplay.  I'm saying Apple blames Honda and Honda blames Apple.  I have no clue who is at fault.  One thing I do know is my car software hasn't been updated since I bought it in 2016. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 72
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    The only “issue” I have with CarPlay in my 2020 Honda CRV is that the Music app starts playing either the first song in my phone’s library, alphabetically, or the last song I played whenever the phone is plugged in, whether of not I was actually playing music when I turned off the car. Other than that, everything works fine and mirrors the functionality of the apps provided by the phone, e.g., traffic warnings. No app crashes or instability at all. Volume works fine with Maps, Siri queries work fine or at least as well as Siri ever can work. Phone calls, no problem. CarPlay is only one of several infotainment features on the vehicle and it doesn’t interfere with the built-in stuff.

As far as the sometimes annoying auto music activation is concerned, my 2020 Honda Fit without CarPlay does exactly the same thing if the vehicle is started up with the phone plugged in or still configured for Bluetooth music playing. So clearly this oddball behavior is a function of Honda’s infotainment system and has nothing to do with Apple.

Some folks have commented that Apple should be blamed for poor quality 3rd party CarPlay apps bought through the App Store. That’s funny but makes absolutely no sense. Just imagine if Apple were deemed responsible for the quality of the music and movie content it sells through iTunes, TV+, etc. Crazy talk.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 44 of 72
    Can’t imagine Apple car from the future when you need to update carOS 4.02 to fix map freezing issue. 
  • Reply 45 of 72
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    dewme said:
    The only “issue” I have with CarPlay in my 2020 Honda CRV is that the Music app starts playing either the first song in my phone’s library, alphabetically, or the last song I played whenever the phone is plugged in, whether of not I was actually playing music when I turned off the car. Other than that, everything works fine and mirrors the functionality of the apps provided by the phone, e.g., traffic warnings. No app crashes or instability at all. Volume works fine with Maps, Siri queries work fine or at least as well as Siri ever can work. Phone calls, no problem. CarPlay is only one of several infotainment features on the vehicle and it doesn’t interfere with the built-in stuff.
    This isn't actually a CarPlay issue, as my wife's 2017 CRV does the same thing, and her vehicle doesn't even have CarPlay. Her iPhone is paired with the Honda's Pioneer-made factory head unit, and if she starts the car with the stereo still set to BT Audio, music will start playing. Additionally, when I had my 2011 BMW w/iPod adapter, it used to do the same thing. So, while not a CarPlay issue specifically, it definitely happened with various iPods and iPhones over the years.

On the CarPlay topic, I'm presently using a Pioneer DMH-2660NEX multimedia receiver, and for the most part, CarPlay works flawlessly. I have some significant gripes with the Audible and Waze apps however. Audible regularly glitches out in various ways, most common of which is either a completely blank screen (hitting the home button reveals the CarPlay UI, and all other apps are usable), or the on-screen controls no longer function even though the audiobook continues to play.

As for Waze, I regularly get an issue where it almost seems to treat the CarPlay instance of itself separately, and it seems to think I'm still where I was when I last arrived at my destination. When I check the iPhone directly, Waze seems to be asleep for a moment, but then wakes up. Unfortunately, this doesn't resolve the problem, and I have to unplug my iPhone from the USB cable. I then have to go to the app switcher, and kill the Waze app. Then, when I plug the phone back in and launch Waze, everything works properly, until the next time it "gets stuck in sleep mode".
  • Reply 46 of 72
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    For me, CarPlay is Maps and Phone calls and messages.  I don’t really care about the rest.  Use Apple Music some but otherwise…

my car doesn’t have CarPlay :( though I did buy a clunky box that slides between the screen and the entertainment system that provides non touch screen CarPlay (uses the Audi wheel and works pretty well).  The biggest issue was trying to install it behind the dash.  Probably doable with a lot of effort but not worth it to me yet to make the effort.  But the wife’s VW has it and as I said,, Maps and phone and messages and probably Apple Music.  That’s it. 
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Wireless or bust. I would only sporadically use the CarPlay feature in my vehicle if it was wired. Especially for short trips or the morning commute, I wouldn’t want to be bothered with fumbling with my phone and USB cable before and after the drive. As it is now, the phone stays in my pocket the entire time and automatically connects upon engine crank. Perfect. 

I leave a tinfoil hat in my trunk just in case. 

danox said:
    AppleZulu said:
    So… the biggest problem with CarPlay is apparently that a third-party developer made a sub-par app.

This is apparently Apple’s fault because they haven’t somehow forced the third-party developer to make improvements to its app. 

The other problems noted are that car manufacturers have been slow to adopt CarPlay features like wireless control, and multi-screen displays. 

This is apparently Apple’s fault because they haven’t somehow forced the third-party Car makers to adopt these features. 

All this from a staff writer for an Apple-centric site. 

If nothing else, this serves as a great example why Apple tightly controls most of what it produces. Whenever they venture into an area where someone else controls the quality of the user’s experience, people will nonetheless blame Apple for the others’ failures and shortcomings, even when they’re in a professional position to know the difference between what Apple controls and does not control. 

You are so right, CarPlay is an add on to someone else’s ecosystem and will always be second best, unless Apple builds its own car (hope not they don’t need to).

Wireless connections why? I don’t need another security hole on a car that be anywhere, if I have a choice I don’t want to broadcast anything more than I have to in short a phone signal. A hardened system, (wired) in a car is the best and will work unless you crash your car. The car manufacturer's put in wired inputs/outputs because they are more reliable.  

Audio signal/internet connection problem anywhere car, home, work get a wired connection (input/output). 

• Reply 48 of 72
    lkrupp said:
    AppleZulu said:
    So… the biggest problem with CarPlay is apparently that a third-party developer made a sub-par app.

This is apparently Apple’s fault because they haven’t somehow forced the third-party developer to make improvements to its app. 

The other problems noted are that car manufacturers have been slow to adopt CarPlay features like wireless control, and multi-screen displays. 

This is apparently Apple’s fault because they haven’t somehow forced the third-party Car makers to adopt these features. 

All this from a staff writer for an Apple-centric site. 

If nothing else, this serves as a great example why Apple tightly controls most of what it produces. Whenever they venture into an area where someone else controls the quality of the user’s experience, people will nonetheless blame Apple for the others’ failures and shortcomings, even when they’re in a professional position to know the difference between what Apple controls and does not control. 
    It’s always Apple’s fault. Get with the program, especially on AppleInsider, MacRumors, and iMore. Apple is the bad guy, the cause of all problems and failures.
    🙄
  • Reply 49 of 72
    DAalseth said:
    I also have a gripe which should be a third "pain point" in this article.  Issue is with people who bought first gen carplay vehicles when the technology was introduced.  I have a Honda Accord 2016 and carplay was fine for the first few years.... My car has had ZERO software updates from Honda.  I've been through a few iPhones and several iOS updates since owning the car.  In the last 3-4 years I've had nothing but problems.  Android OS crashes, carplay freezing, carplay disconnecting, etc.  I've opened cases with Honda (while under warranty), and the issues can't be duplicated at the dealership.  I've provided screenshots and videos from my experience.  Honda blames Apple, Apple blames Honda.  There are literally hundreds of forum posts about this and in the end, the customer loses out.  Overall, its been a very underwhelming experience.  Sometimes when carplay freezes it messes up my entire infotainment system.  I have to pull over and turn off car and turn back on. 

I know this is a huge PTA, and something that Apple/Honda should be fixing. I understand that and completely sympathize.
    But TBH as a former IT Tech the fact that you have to fix the issue by “turning it off and turning it back on again”, I find rather amusing. 

Yes... I am a current IT Network Engineer and find it amusing that you cannot reboot the operating system while car is on (even in park for example).  It could happen again shortly after the reboot.  Carplay has been beyond a frustrating experience. 
    I used to have Mazda CX5 SUV and when the navigation going nuts (like freeze, blank screen or partial green screen), I had to park somewhere, shut off the engine and restart in order to reboot infotainment. My current car is Mercedes GLC300 and sometimes when the navigation freezes, it reboots itself after 5 min without parking car and shutting off engine. I wonders if the rest of modern cars work the same way.

LOL yeah I've had that green screen before.  Carplay has been so unpredictable and unreliable.  I can go on a three hour trip and it works flawlessly then on another where it freezes, or android errors pop up and my displays start flashing, etc.  Such a frustrating experience.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 50 of 72
    mike1 said:
    jamnap said:
    I really like using wireless Car Play in my BM, especially Maps which is always more up to date than BM OEM navigation.  But there seems to be a volume level issue with Car Play and I do not like the cartoonist/Disney-like icons/colors displayed when Car Play is in use.  Wish I had more options to change icon sizes, colors and background display.  Guess Apply wants Car Play images to really stand out just like their refrigerator white-only Airpods.

Where do you drive where you can notice that Apple's maps are "always more up to date than BMW OEM navigation"?! BMW updates the navigation at least quarterly.
    So there are lots of new streets/roads/places in the Tampa/STP/Orlando area that I can find with Apple Maps but not BW nav.  I use the BM App to send directions to my car, but often have to resort to Maps ccuz BM can't find my destination.  Traffic in Maps (really bad here at times) is also much easier, clearer and more accurate in Apple Maps, which is why I use Maps when heading to my home address.  BM nav is missing several new streets (built a year ago) near my home so it always gives me out-of-the-way routing.  OTA updates are pushed out by BM and I am up to date, but I only get the SE region and have to pay BM if I want other region (unlike Apple which I use when driving to Virginia).  But I really like the classy display colors and design layout used in BW nav.  The BM charging tray a great and Car Play wireless connection always work.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    entropys said:
    mike1 said:
    jamnap said:
    I really like using wireless Car Play in my BM, especially Maps which is always more up to date than BM OEM navigation.  But there seems to be a volume level issue with Car Play and I do not like the cartoonist/Disney-like icons/colors displayed when Car Play is in use.  Wish I had more options to change icon sizes, colors and background display.  Guess Apply wants Car Play images to really stand out just like their refrigerator white-only Airpods.

Where do you drive where you can notice that Apple's maps are "always more up to date than BMW OEM navigation"?! BMW updates the navigation at least quarterly.
    One of the benefits of Apple Maps or Google maps is the updates happens when it is made. No waiting until the end of the quarter, which itself is just about superior to any other car manufacturer. For most manufacturers it could be once a year when it is brought in for a service.  Some actually charge for an update. 

Agreed, but I was curious how someone would always see a difference. Let's face it. Not a lot of new road construction that one would notice a difference on a weekly, quarterly or even yearly basis.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Where could I find the list of the car models which support:
    1. Wireless CarPlay
    2. Displaying information and navigation information on the vehicle's instrument cluster

On apple's website there is only a general list of CarPlay support: 
    https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

• Reply 53 of 72
    tomahawk said:
    You can also add a wireless CarPlay adapter to many cars.  I use one in my Expedition all the time.  My biggest complaint, and this is probably more of a Ford issue than Apple, although Apple could fix it too, is how many button pushes it takes to get back to the Ford screen and the fact that there isn't any weather info available on the CarPlay screen.

Ford should put the outside temp on the instrument cluster but didn't.  Apple should integrate weather into CarPlay but hasn't.

I agree getting back to the Ford screen was a pain until I finally caught on to hitting the home button on my steering wheel. I would love to see weather or just alerts while driving. 

• Reply 54 of 72
    This is a rant article.

First, let’s acknowledge that car manufacturers come out with ‘new’ models ever 3-4 years, so the soonest a new feature, ala wireless, would be available would be with the next new model upgrade.  Car manufacturers aren’t going to change up components mid cycle unless there is a payback.

Let’s also acknowledge that we are running CarPlay 2 currently(ios13), this is the second major release Apple has done in addition to the incrementals each iOS cycle.

What’s true is that CarPlay isn’t perfect, it has quirks, but are those on the car manufacturers interface implementation or Apple?

Wireless CarPlay is in entry level cars, the base LS model Chevy Trailblazer, has an awesome implementation, and they do not even offer a Nav system in that car, so I think that answers the car manufacturer question.

Because the system isn’t perfect the question has to be asked, is it manufacturer implementation as mentioned before, is it a specific app, like the rant article mentions SiriusXM, or is it inherent in the current CarPlay? 

If it’s the App, complain to the App developer, duh.

BTW, the ‘go-live’ button in the XM app has worked fine for me.  Maybe article writers should do more research for their articles, unless they are publishing just to get forum hits?

Just my 2 cents, worth less every day…
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 55 of 72
    I suspect that most car manufacturers know that the average consumer is too dumb to know the difference between original CarPlay and the latest CarPlay updates. But once consumers learn the difference, car manufacturers will update their products.

The current situation may also be partly exacerbated by the worldwide chip shortage. Newer products probably require newer chips.

I eagerly look forward to buying an Apple Car, largely to stick it to the current car manufacturers who refuse to give me what I want. But it's looking more and more like I won't live to see it.
    Can you imagine how dumb the bellow average consumer is, if the average consumer is already too dumb (as you said)?
    And you guessed it, half of the consumers are bellow average... That's basically half of the population. 
    What are the odds that you are in that half?
  • Reply 56 of 72
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    rob55 said:
    dewme said:
    This isn't actually a CarPlay issue, as my wife's 2017 CRV does the same thing, and her vehicle doesn't even have CarPlay. Her iPhone is paired with the Honda's Pioneer-made factory head unit, and if she starts the car with the stereo still set to BT Audio, music will start playing. Additionally, when I had my 2011 BMW w/iPod adapter, it used to do the same thing. So, while not a CarPlay issue specifically, it definitely happened with various iPods and iPhones over the years.

Yes, exactly as I noted. I’m not bothered by the music auto play issue but it bugs the crap out of other people who use the same cars. In fact, this issue has bothered some people so much that they make or buy a music file like “aaaa.aac” that has nothing but several minutes of no sound so they don’t get blasted by unexpected music immediately after starting the car. Kind of goofy but whatever it takes. I do regret not upgrading to a version of the Fit that included Apple CarPlay to get the Maps navigation displayed on the dash screen.

Maybe I’ll look into a 3rd party replacement infotainment system that has CarPlay, but for the most part the audio directions from Maps are good enough. But there are times when the visual display really helps, especially when Maps tries to be helpful by describing something as a “slight right/left turn” that is clearly at least a full 90 degree turn. I’ve even had it describe a 270 degree off ramp/overpass as a “slight right turn.” 
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 57 of 72
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I’ve had cars with CarPlay since about 2015 or so. It’s always been more trouble than it’s worth. I’ve also driven some cars with wireless CarPlay. So far I found that to be unreliable.  I have a 2021 palisade and a 2022 Kia carnival. The latter is absolutely top of the line. It’s still doesn’t have wireless CarPlay. On the other hand, it doesn’t really need it. I use my phone for navigation in both cars. I just bought a new MagSafe charger/mount. That works great.  

I actually don’t think that Apple has that much incentive to constantly update CarPlay. I think the entire project serves as a foundation for releasing their own car in a few years.  Past is prologue here, so we can expect them to release an electric vehicle that redefines the space. At a premium price.  
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 58 of 72
    DAalseth said:

My 2009 Citroen C6 had a infotainment system that sometimes used to freeze. In the user manual there was a combination of buttons shown (one of them was dark mode button - to turn off all indicators but speed) that allowed to reboot the infotainment without need to switch off thr car. It was needed as the water and oil temperature or tyre pressure monitoring was on the infotainment display only. I have really appreciated this feature. But it took me a while to realize that i just have to read the manual to find it :)
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 59 of 72
    urahara said:
    Where could I find the list of the car models which support:
    1. Wireless CarPlay
    2. Displaying information and navigation information on the vehicle's instrument cluster

On apple's website there is only a general list of CarPlay support: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

The list is not up-to-date. Mercedes GLC300 2023 has wireless CarPlay for sure. They joined the club late for this model because 2023 model is a new redesign and a new refresh.
    edited December 2022
  • Reply 60 of 72
    JP234 said:
    Really getting tired of the snowflakes and trolls claiming that it's JUST SO TIRESOME to actually have to PLUG IN their iPhones to use Apple CarPlay! Don't you get exhausted having to press all those buttons and keys on your computers? And no one tells you how hard it is to actually CHARGE Mac computers! You have to reach over, grab a cable and laboriously plug them in! Thank God Apple has wireless chargers for the tablets, Airpods and phones, or you'd be too tired to use them.

And what's with those batteries? If I keep my phone in my pocket, the battery eventually dies! If only there were a way to charge the phone in the car without actually having to TAKE IT OUT OF MY POCKET and put it on the wireless charging pad without expending any effort. Why doesn't Apple invent a wireless charger that just fits in a phone case so I never have to charge it again. Or batteries that never discharge. Now there's an idea! Let's call Tim Cook and tell him to get right on it!
    I am in. A 3ft distance of contactless wireless charger. If Nicholas Tesla were still alive today, he would have all this figured out by now. Steve Jobs would had hired him in a heartbeat.
    JP234appleuseryeah