Apple has two big CarPlay problems

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    Singling out the SiriusXM app isn't fair because it sucks on All devices. It's a joke compared to other streaming audio apps.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    People should understand that vendors have every reason to be wary of Apple and how much access they provide to the car systems.

It would be understandable that they don't want the tail to end up wagging the dog as we move towards more autonomous capabilities. 

I don't think CarPlay will get very far in the short term against providers who are already offering complete software systems to manufacturers. Those systems are also tying into key EV hardware which they are also offering to vendors (chassis, batteries, power management, charging, 'vision'...). 
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 63 of 72
    I have two problems with 2020 Subaru Forester. It may or may not related to CarPlay. When I receive a phone call, I try to use the speaker of the car. The voice is very low. I went to the dealer recently. The dealer checked and update the software of the car. The problem is resolved. The second problem is also related the bluetooth. When I try to play a music or video on the phone without it connected to the car, there is no sound come out. If I turn off the car, the sound come out of the phone speaker. This is pretty annoying. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 64 of 72
    This article seems like meaningless complaints about CarPlay.  

1) Wireless.  No thanks.  It is not that hard to plug in.  I am not taking my phone out of the case for wireless charging, or buying a cheaper, less protective case to make wireless charging work in order to have Wireless CarPlay.  I also don't want the lag that goes along with wireless CarPlay.  Second, most people use their phones as their source of music, and Bluetooth audio sounds awful compared to the digital wired connection.  I'll take the wired connection for the superior audio quality 100% of the time.

2) Apps simplicity.  The author pointed out the reason for the simplicity.  If the app is too complicated in CarPlay, it will be a distraction leading to a car accident.  The apps need to be simple and easy to use.

3) Why bring up the SiriusXM app in CarPlay?  If your car supports CarPlay, it most certainly already has SiriusXM built into the OEM head unit.  You are already paying for SiriusXM in order to use the app, so why use the app relying on cellular data and reception, and risking exceeding your data plan when the car has native SiriusXM?  You can listen to the OEM SiriusXM tuner and be in CarPlay at the same time, if you are using maps for navigation.  The steering wheel controls will also change stations without affecting CarPlay.  

I have no issues with CarPlay.  Works great in my car and it has a nice 10.25" Widescreen Display for CarPlay.  My car gets bi-annual software updates that I can do myself and the last update even updated the audio UI on the OEM system to include Album Artwork for FM and SiriusXM.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 65 of 72
    I also have a gripe which should be a third "pain point" in this article.  Issue is with people who bought first gen carplay vehicles when the technology was introduced.  I have a Honda Accord 2016 and carplay was fine for the first few years.... My car has had ZERO software updates from Honda.  I've been through a few iPhones and several iOS updates since owning the car.  In the last 3-4 years I've had nothing but problems.  Android OS crashes, carplay freezing, carplay disconnecting, etc.  I've opened cases with Honda (while under warranty), and the issues can't be duplicated at the dealership.  I've provided screenshots and videos from my experience.  Honda blames Apple, Apple blames Honda.  There are literally hundreds of forum posts about this and in the end, the customer loses out.  Overall, it's been a very underwhelming experience.  Sometimes when carplay freezes it messes up my entire infotainment system.  I have to pull over and turn off car and turn back on. 

Sounds like Windows -
    restart often!

The only answer in these cases is to use an external wireless CarPlay system that attaches to your windscreen, the ones from Coral Wireless are fantastic!

there are now others too. They're like an old fashioned GPS unit on steroids but with giant screens, they work with CatPlay and Android auto :-)
  • Reply 66 of 72
    Wireless CarPlay is not straightforward to implement as wired. If there are more than one iPhone, the car needs to decide which one will use CarPlay. 
    This is a suspect statement. Obviously the CarPlay ONLY pairs to the iPhone it has initially been paired with!

there is never any confusion about which iPhone CarPlay will pair with, come on, please don't make up problems. There are enough real problems to be worried with fake problems. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 67 of 72
    JP234 said:
    Really getting tired of the snowflakes and trolls claiming that it's JUST SO TIRESOME to actually have to PLUG IN their iPhones to use Apple CarPlay! Don't you get exhausted having to press all those buttons and keys on your computers? And no one tells you how hard it is to actually CHARGE Mac computers! You have to reach over, grab a cable and laboriously plug them in! Thank God Apple has wireless chargers for the tablets, Airpods and phones, or you'd be too tired to use them.

And what's with those batteries? If I keep my phone in my pocket, the battery eventually dies! If only there were a way to charge the phone in the car without actually having to TAKE IT OUT OF MY POCKET and put it on the wireless charging pad without expending any effort. Why doesn't Apple invent a wireless charger that just fits in a phone case so I never have to charge it again. Or batteries that never discharge. Now there's an idea! Let's call Tim Cook and tell him to get right on it!
    The ridiculous thing about the complainers is that most people need to charge their iphones, and doing it will driving is a great time to be charging!!!

I mean, my external CarPlay screen is both wired and wireless, but I almost always plug it in to power because... I want a charge top up!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 68 of 72
    avon b7 said:
    People should understand that vendors have every reason to be wary of Apple and how much access they provide to the car systems.

It would be understandable that they don't want the tail to end up wagging the dog as we move towards more autonomous capabilities. 

I don't think CarPlay will get very far in the short term against providers who are already offering complete software systems to manufacturers. Those systems are also tying into key EV hardware which they are also offering to vendors (chassis, batteries, power management, charging, 'vision'...). 
    Yes, trusting apple not to eventually put you of business is like the frog trusting the scorpion when crossing the river and not getting stung. 

Apple are wonderful, but to competitors, they are a virus that will wipe you out as soon as they are powerful enough. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 69 of 72
    From your point of view, which car does the best job of implementing carplay? Let‘s rephrase your statement ;)
    I just LOVE carplay with all its but‘s… there is a lot that I‘d like to change about it at the same time: better Siri, rearranging the icons, switching between eg navi-apps, where is the lowest gas price.. that is convienient for me… and so on…
    next: from a developer point of view: how do I get my app into carplay at all???? 
  • Reply 70 of 72
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Why can't I get a third party analog clock app to show on my CarPlay screen? Same with some of the app compasses.
    And the apple background pics are butt ugly, I would gladly pay Apple to be able to download a background CarPlay wallpaper.

• Reply 71 of 72
    The ridiculous thing about the complainers is that most people need to charge their iphones, and doing it will driving is a great time to be charging!!!

I mean, my external CarPlay screen is both wired and wireless, but I almost always plug it in to power because... I want a charge top up!
    Nothing ridiculous about it... I also charge when driving, but I don't have to plug in to do it... Qi... it's built in to the car.  I WISH I didn't have to fuck around with a cord to get CarPlay to work... I'd use it a lot more.